Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EdWiser

by EdWiser

18,000 miles no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Unfortunately one of my wahoo pwr pedals has developed the issue. Wahoo are warrantying them but it's a shame still. 👍🏽
As always wahoo does seem to have the best customer care
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Just curious if there's been any solution for this issue on the standard Wahoo Zero pedals. Are recently purchased models still exhibiting this flaw?

TiCass

by TiCass

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm
Just curious if there's been any solution for this issue on the standard Wahoo Zero pedals. Are recently purchased models still exhibiting this flaw?
Back in October 2023, I purchased a pair of wahoo aero pedals and I have returned them 5 times.
Each time, they had no play out of the box, but after simply 30 minutes of indoor trainer, they started to developed a 0.7mm of lateral play.
Wahoo accepted the return wihtout saying anything.

Here's what I think. I'm convince that all Wahoo pedals have that lateral play, but theirs owner just don't notice it... because you don't feel it when you are pedalling. At this point, I would want to see a video evidence of used pedals without the lateral play :lol: . It doesn't seem to have any performance impact either. Wahoo is fully aware that this is normal behavior and will agree to replace every pedals with a new pair... until the customer is tired of that circus. This is what happened to me.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TiCass wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:27 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm
Back in October 2023, I purchased a pair of wahoo aero pedals and I have returned them 5 times.
Each time, they had no play out of the box, but after simply 30 minutes of indoor trainer, they started to developed a 0.7mm of lateral play.
Wahoo accepted the return wihtout saying anything.

Here's what I think. I'm convince that all Wahoo pedals have that lateral play, but theirs owner just don't notice it... because you don't feel it when you are pedalling. At this point, I would want to see a video evidence of used pedals without the lateral play :lol: . It doesn't seem to have any performance impact either. Wahoo is fully aware that this is normal behavior and will agree to replace every pedals with a new pair... until the customer is tired of that circus. This is what happened to me.
That's not very confidence inspiring! Thanks for the feedback.

RDY

by RDY

They clearly have no intention whatsoever of fixing this. Despite bullshitting a bunch of people and journalists that it was just one early batch that had issues, and was dealt with more than a year ago. There are so many returns that it can't be economic anymore. Presumably it's on the basis of legal advice - admitting a problem if someone gets seriously hurt as a result of too much play and their foot coming out in a sprint.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RDY wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28 pm
They clearly have no intention whatsoever of fixing this. Despite bullshitting a bunch of people and journalists that it was just one early batch that had issues, and was dealt with more than a year ago. There are so many returns that it can't be economic anymore. Presumably it's on the basis of legal advice - admitting a problem if someone gets seriously hurt as a result of too much play and their foot coming out in a sprint.
I wonder how Wahoo could be avoiding a mandated recall on these pedals if the problem is that bad and widespread?

RDY

by RDY

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:42 pm
RDY wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:28 pm
I wonder how Wahoo could be avoiding a mandated recall on these pedals if the problem is that bad and widespread?
If it was an e-bike product. They couldn't - without dire legal ramifications. But it's a push bike product so it's effectively the wild west ... regulators just aren't interested.

beppissimo

by beppissimo

lets remain fair here. several of us have testified to be using pedals which do not show any side movement even after many miles.
also, i can't see how the side play could become a safety issue at all as it does not in anyway impact the retention/release mecanism.
in any case i think i now have a pretty good understanding of what causes the issue and how to fix it and should be able to report back on it in short time.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I was a long time Speedplay user before they got acquired, offshored, and seemingly ruined. Now on Assioma, waiting for the issues to resolve. Sad to hear they still have issues as I would like to go back to Speedplay.

tomtom

by tomtom

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am
I was a long time Speedplay user before they got acquired, offshored, and seemingly ruined. Now on Assioma, waiting for the issues to resolve. Sad to hear they still have issues as I would like to go back to Speedplay.
They are better than they used to be with the metal on top....much less wear. On top of that I'm getting new pedals and cleats about 1-2 times a year for free from Wahoo :thumbup: !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Mine have had lateral play pretty much the whole year I've been riding on them, I always wondered but assumed it was normal.

Just submitted a support ticket, hopefully it's a new set of pedals. Do they demand the old ones back first?

frostorama

by frostorama

In my case recently Wahoo gave me instructions on how to destroy the pedal threads to prevent them being used again. I had to supply pictures of the destroyed threads and serial numbers of each pedal. Whaoo then shipped a new set of pedals including cleats. It took about a week from raising the ticket to receiving the new pedals.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Is there any specs to determine what excessive play is? .7mm seems to be acceptable to me. If there are no specs, then it is like the Wild West when it comes to what is excessive or not.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

This is all so wasteful that it would be hillarious if it wasn't so sad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com