Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Below is a quote of a post on the then 'new' Wahoo Speedplay Zero from 05/20/2021, and while it is a little more difficult to see, the inner bearing is the same sas in your image:
ms6073 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 pm
Given what I see inside the pedal body with the spindle removed, if the end bolt is tight against the spindle, I would imagine that pedals exhibiting such lateral movement are probably missing both the middle bushing and end bearing.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

Yeah, seems to be the same. My bad

tarmackev

by tarmackev

pesos wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:35 pm
I changed only to get power meter functionality - no reason to change otherwise that I'm aware of. But I still use and prefer "old" speedplay cleats with the new pedals.
Many thanks, thats what I was hoping somebody would say.

ms6073

by ms6073

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:27 pm
Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm
Of course, most of us are cheap, and tend to shop at the lower seller. Yes, that includes me too.
Given the latest forecast for the company- Wahoo Fitness’ Debt Ratings Lowered On Potential Default - there might be some good sales on Wahoo products pretty soon.

Excerpted:
“The negative outlook reflects our expectation that the tough operating conditions will persist over the near term, causing the company to face a liquidity shortfall over the next six months absent a liquidity enhancing transaction.”
Wahoo's finances appear to have gotten more dire: Wahoo's Credit Rating Dowgraded Again After Defaulting On Payment

Excerpted:
Going into the spring of 2022, American credit rating and risk analysis company Moody's Investors Service predicted that Wahoo would have a "negative free cash flow of around $30-$35 million" over the subsequent 12 months. This prediction was based on falling consumer demand as 2021 came to a close.

At the end of January 2023, that prediction had run its course with Wahoo fully exhausting its $30m recurring line of credit, or 'revolver'. Reports at the time suggested the company had $5.9 million cash on hand and looming payments against a $225 million principal loan as well as the $30 million revolver.

At the beginning of this month, April 2023, missed debt service payments became official. As a result, S&P Global Ratings — a separate American credit rating agency — responded by penalizing the company with a downgraded credit rating, dropping to 'D' from a previous 'CCC-', albeit with a recovery rating of 2, indicating "expectation for substantial (70 per cent to 90 per cent; rounded estimate 70 per cent) recovery."
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RDY

by RDY

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:15 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:27 pm
Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm
Of course, most of us are cheap, and tend to shop at the lower seller. Yes, that includes me too.
Given the latest forecast for the company- Wahoo Fitness’ Debt Ratings Lowered On Potential Default - there might be some good sales on Wahoo products pretty soon.

Excerpted:
“The negative outlook reflects our expectation that the tough operating conditions will persist over the near term, causing the company to face a liquidity shortfall over the next six months absent a liquidity enhancing transaction.”
Wahoo's finances appear to have gotten more dire: Wahoo's Credit Rating Dowgraded Again After Defaulting On Payment

Excerpted:
Going into the spring of 2022, American credit rating and risk analysis company Moody's Investors Service predicted that Wahoo would have a "negative free cash flow of around $30-$35 million" over the subsequent 12 months. This prediction was based on falling consumer demand as 2021 came to a close.

At the end of January 2023, that prediction had run its course with Wahoo fully exhausting its $30m recurring line of credit, or 'revolver'. Reports at the time suggested the company had $5.9 million cash on hand and looming payments against a $225 million principal loan as well as the $30 million revolver.

At the beginning of this month, April 2023, missed debt service payments became official. As a result, S&P Global Ratings — a separate American credit rating agency — responded by penalizing the company with a downgraded credit rating, dropping to 'D' from a previous 'CCC-', albeit with a recovery rating of 2, indicating "expectation for substantial (70 per cent to 90 per cent; rounded estimate 70 per cent) recovery."
I think S&P's outlook is rather more optimistic than a lot here will see it, given those numbers, that they've already defaulted on some payments, and most of their product line is either lacking or a shit show with seemingly no measures being taken to improve or fix it.

Looks like C11 or buyout incoming.

GaBa

by GaBa

That and lateral play were reasons I decided to stop using speedplay pedals after roughly 10 years (was using original SP, never Wahoo's). My enthusiasm with release of SP PM that I was looking forward to for quite some time died away quickly. Now I am on shimano DA and they seem ok for now.

njleach

by njleach

Is anyone else experiencing the lateral play issue on the Powrlink pedals? I bought them shortly after release and just noticed yesterday approamately 2mm of lateral play on each pedal.

user83843

by user83843

Was the lateral play issue ever fixed or addressed by Wahoo?

Is the issue limited to Powrlink or across all models?

thx

akod

by akod

Nope. Still happening. All models of Zeros. Power meter and non.

Lemond75

by Lemond75

njleach wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:14 pm
Is anyone else experiencing the lateral play issue on the Powrlink pedals? I bought them shortly after release and just noticed yesterday approamately 2mm of lateral play on each pedal.
Afraid so. I've had two pairs develop the fault, and although Wahoo's customer service was excellent, I sold the most recent warranty replacement pair and moved to Favero Assiomas.

Whilst I miss how easy it is to get in and out of Speedplays, there was a ridiculous amount of lateral instability between the shoe and pedal - some of which was from the pedal body/axle interface, and some of it because the the cleats wore very quickly. Switching to SPD SLs and the Assiomas brought about a huge increase in stability between the shoe and pedal, so I afraid I won't be going back to Speedplay again - even though I've been using the original Speedplays for over 15 years.

njleach

by njleach

Lemond75 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:14 pm
njleach wrote:
Afraid so. I've had two pairs develop the fault, and although Wahoo's customer service was excellent, I sold the most recent warranty replacement pair and moved to Favero Assiomas.

Whilst I miss how easy it is to get in and out of Speedplays, there was a ridiculous amount of lateral instability between the shoe and pedal - some of which was from the pedal body/axle interface, and some of it because the the cleats wore very quickly. Switching to SPD SLs and the Assiomas brought about a huge increase in stability between the shoe and pedal, so I afraid I won't be going back to Speedplay again - even though I've been using the original Speedplays for over 15 years.
Thanks. It's disappointing to hear they haven't been able to find an engineering solution to the problem...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

njleach wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:51 pm
Lemond75 wrote:
njleach wrote:

Thanks. It's disappointing to hear they haven't been able to find an engineering solution to the problem...
Does anyone know that they actually looked for one?

Vjl

by Vjl

I just switched back to original speedplay zero's after 10 drive side Wahoo speedplay lateral play problems, I'm done!
Luckily I kept all my speedplay zero pedals.

RDY

by RDY

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:40 am
njleach wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:51 pm
Lemond75 wrote:
njleach wrote:

Presumably they're so cheap to produce that it's better to continue processing masses of warranty claims than to fix them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:40 am
Wahoo has a reputation for being notoriously silent when products develop issues. Now that the finances have been sorted, I imagine that there is some focus on addressing the issue but realistically, I do not see a way to fix an issue with a metal spindle that is press-fit into a plastic pedal body and later develops lateral play!
- Michael