Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Can also confirm that my second pair of Powrlink pedals are working perfectly too, with the one caveat that the Wahoo cleats seem to wear somewhat quicker than the old Speedplay ones.

ms6073

by ms6073

Lemond75 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:48 pm
with the one caveat that the Wahoo cleats seem to wear somewhat quicker than the old Speedplay ones.
Curious to know what exactly is wearing quicker than the old ones? I have read some reporting issues with rust developing on the top plate under the aero cover and suspect some may neven be having issues with wearing down the plastic material on the bottom of the aero cover itself for which I thought Wahoo was now marketing replacements by themselves.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

For myself I had a small plastic part that keeps the spring in place break off. Never had that issue with the old cleats.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:37 am
For myself I had a small plastic part that keeps the spring in place break off. Never had that issue with the old cleats.

Basso Diamante eps 12
Happened to me too. Wahoo warrantied them.
I went back to shimano afterwards because that seems very unsustainable.

ronanmclaughlin

by ronanmclaughlin

I've had that plastic bit snap off both Speedplay and Wahoo Speedplay cleats :(

After five (IIRC) broken pedals, most within the first week or so, I am now four/five months in mixing between a pair of Zero and Powerlink Zero with no issues so far. It seems the latest fix has resolved the issue.

robertbb

by robertbb

ronanmclaughlin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:46 pm
I've had that plastic bit snap off both Speedplay and Wahoo Speedplay cleats :(

After five (IIRC) broken pedals, most within the first week or so, I am now four/five months in mixing between a pair of Zero and Powerlink Zero with no issues so far. It seems the latest fix has resolved the issue.
Is there any way to tell whether one's getting the "fixed" model when purchasing? Barcode? Manufacture date?

GaBa

by GaBa

Yeah I am also interested in this. Especially since I was looking to buy PowrLink through a German shop that carries different PM brands and might therefore hold some old stock (lower turnover than through official store).

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not know where to buy them, but I think you could contact them and ask if the ones on their site the updated versions. The worst answer would be, 'I don't know.' Emailing tech support might get you some answers. Especially if you tell them, you want to buy a set but do not want to buy the older set.

Of course, most of us are cheap, and tend to shop at the lower seller. Yes, that includes me too.

ms6073

by ms6073

Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm
Of course, most of us are cheap, and tend to shop at the lower seller. Yes, that includes me too.
Given the latest forecast for the company- Wahoo Fitness’ Debt Ratings Lowered On Potential Default - there might be some good sales on Wahoo products pretty soon.

Excerpted:
“The negative outlook reflects our expectation that the tough operating conditions will persist over the near term, causing the company to face a liquidity shortfall over the next six months absent a liquidity enhancing transaction.”
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Great. I guess I could get a good set of pedals only for them to fail because of the lack of parts.

Any other good news?

naavt

by naavt

Never had the side-to-side speedplay issue but here am I to share another story on Wahoo Speedplay (SP) pedals.

I've been using SP for years and when Wahoo acquired them I've bought a pair of Comps, hoping to replace its spindles at a later time, which I did.

My pedals have a bit more than a year now, and I'm using Dulight titanium spindles from May 2022. About 3 months ago I started to hear a clicking noise (video attached), which I assumed to be from the BB (Kogel). Went to service it and the clicking sound remained.

My search for a BB86 to a 30mm crank spindle bottom bracket started that exact moment and went on until today.

Anyway, prior to spend a lot of cash in something like BBInfinite I've swapped pedals for another set of "old" original Zeros with the same Dulinght spindles. Surprise? The clicking disappeared instantly!

Wahoo states that their SP pedals don't need any servicing and I really become to have my suspicions about that claim. Today I'm going to disasemble Wahoo SP and grease them. Let's see the outcome.

Link for video: https://files.fm/f/5dyanpmr9

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

naavt wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm
Never had the side-to-side speedplay issue but here am I to share another story on Wahoo Speedplay (SP) pedals.

I've been using SP for years and when Wahoo acquired them I've bought a pair of Comps, hoping to replace its spindles at a later time, which I did.

My pedals have a bit more than a year now, and I'm using Dulight titanium spindles from May 2022. About 3 months ago I started to hear a clicking noise (video attached), which I assumed to be from the BB (Kogel). Went to service it and the clicking sound remained.

My search for a BB86 to a 30mm crank spindle bottom bracket started that exact moment and went on until today.

Anyway, prior to spend a lot of cash in something like BBInfinite I've swapped pedals for another set of "old" original Zeros with the same Dulinght spindles. Surprise? The clicking disappeared instantly!

Wahoo states that their SP pedals don't need any servicing and I really become to have my suspicions about that claim. Today I'm going to disasemble Wahoo SP and grease them. Let's see the outcome.

I've had clicking with speedplays. My conclusion has been that it might be the cleat, rather than the pedal, or something in the pedal-cleat interface. I've never gotten completely to the bottom of it - just gave up on speedplay due to that issue, plus the side to side thing. Too much faff, not enough benefits over DA to justify it.

naavt

by naavt

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:38 pm

I've had clicking with speedplays. My conclusion has been that it might be the cleat, rather than the pedal, or something in the pedal-cleat interface. I've never gotten completely to the bottom of it - just gave up on speedplay due to that issue, plus the side to side thing. Too much faff, not enough benefits over DA to justify it.
I've also suspected the cleats, but in the end the clicking was from the pedals. I still have to open, grease and test them again to see if it goes away.

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

My right pedal started playing just after fifth workout. Fortunately I recently experienced how well-working is wahoo support. My older speedplays installed again

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

naavt wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm

THe clicking can start before the lateral play is really obvious. You may need to really pull hard on the pedal to make it slide out, but I bet if you get aggressive you'll see that you have lateral play and the pedals need to be warrantied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com