Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

ISO Lake fitting advice

I am currently riding Bontrager XXX size 47, both the 2016 model and the 2019+ model, and get along with them fine but a few MM of extra width on the midfoot and toe box would be welcome. I would desicibe my feet as slightly wider than normal front the midfoot forward with a standard width ankle. I tried on S-Works 6 and 7 in the standard width, 47 and 48, but they are too narrow.

Lake shoes have been on my radar for years and the CX403 Wide and CX332 Wide have my attention but I have no idea how to guess on the fit based on their description:

CX/TX RACE Last – Featuring a slightly narrower toe box & tighter heel than the Competition last and less overall volume than the Sport last. Designed for very high-cadence riding & higher pressure and a slimmer fit.

Have any Lake users tried the Bongrager XXX? The CX Race Last Wide @ 113.8mm is wide enough but I would hate to end up with a loose heel.

jlok

by jlok

The problem is that you don't know where the widest point is on a particular size. Go to a store or get prepared to order one or two sizes then return the unfit one(s).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

Took my first ride yesterday and the CX238 seem to fit perfectly. I didn't know what to expect after reading so much about width. No problems at all that I can tell.

I love these shoes btw. So glad I didn't send them back before going for a ride in them.

TK421

by TK421

I thought I will chip in with my own experience regarding the Lake shoes.

I will start first by saying that it wasn't until I started road cycling that I paid attention to the shape of my feet. After having two pairs of Mavic (including the Zxellium, which was a wonderful shoe. Light, stiff, but but too narrow) and Giro SLX i finally realised what my feet really needed. I have wide step l/foot with a narrow heel.

A few years ago I went to my bike shop to try some new shoes. Shimano and S-Works weren't even on the radar as they were too narrow and won't fit the bill. I remember trying first the CX302 I think it was the called - the wide shoe in the range. It appeared initially as it did the trick as the width was sufficient, but I had this problem with the narrow heel. Thus we had no other option but to go woth the CX402 wide with carbon mouldedable sole/tub.

Since then I really like them. Bought recently the newer version of them again in wide to add as a second pair and I can say they are pretty awesome shoes! Besides the kangaroo leather, nice quality and improved BOA ties, it offers great comfort after you shape it around your foot, especially for people like me with wide feet and narrow heels.

eeney

by eeney

Great thread, I've spent over 2 years trying to find cycling shoes that don't cripple me. My forefoot is wide, and I need space for my toes to splay. Shoes to date and my feedback:

Bont - like many have said, very unforgiving especially as your foot expands whilst riding I have Riot+ standard, and Vaypour S Wide. Contrary to their sizing chart the Riot+ in standard feel as wide as the Vaypour S wide, Riot+ have a much squarer/spacious toebox, and generally more volume. The Vayour are not very mouldable for extra width, and do not have the volume to allow stretching the width. I know there is a Riot+ and bont do semi-custom double-wide, but with their bathtub shape I'm scared to try again....note, I know many people who love Bonts.

Lake - First I got 403's in Wide, bathtub like Bonts but more mouldable. The 403s feel good, but during a ride as my foot expands the problems and numbness occur. I really like the 403 and want them to fit. Next I went 238/CX1 wide, both have the same sole, although these are wider on paper, they have a different shape to the 403 and just don't feel right for me, at the moment I'm in a process of trying to stretch them, however the plastic toebox is narrower that the 403 and not stretchable. The 403 feel good when not cycling, but not wide enough when my foot expands, the 238s feel wider in the forefoot, but crush my 1st and 4th toes. On paper at Lake the 403s are much wider than the 238s, but the shape is very different, and measured from the outside, the soles are narrower on the 238s, however this may be due to the bathtub sole impacting the inner width on the 403s.

Stretching - I've come to think that I either need custom shoes, or shoes I can stretch and shape. Stretching of the 238s has been restricted by the plastic toebox and the inner plastic micromesh. My CX1 are currently at the cobbler, but he tells me they are stretching quite well, I'll test them next week.

I've seen the CS201s which appear to have a different toe box shape, but the Lake website has them has narrower than the 403 and 238 wide - and testing new shoes is a costly exercise.

I have tried Shimano road shoes in wide, however the soles are not 'wide', so my foot spills over the edges of the sole, which is not comfortable. And they just don't fee comfortable.

jzhaojieh

by jzhaojieh

eeney wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm
Great thread, I've spent over 2 years trying to find cycling shoes that don't cripple me. My forefoot is wide, and I need space for my toes to splay. Shoes to date and my feedback:

Bont - like many have said, very unforgiving especially as your foot expands whilst riding I have Riot+ standard, and Vaypour S Wide. Contrary to their sizing chart the Riot+ in standard feel as wide as the Vaypour S wide, Riot+ have a much squarer/spacious toebox, and generally more volume. The Vayour are not very mouldable for extra width, and do not have the volume to allow stretching the width. I know there is a Riot+ and bont do semi-custom double-wide, but with their bathtub shape I'm scared to try again....note, I know many people who love Bonts.

Lake - First I got 403's in Wide, bathtub like Bonts but more mouldable. The 403s feel good, but during a ride as my foot expands the problems and numbness occur. I really like the 403 and want them to fit. Next I went 238/CX1 wide, both have the same sole, although these are wider on paper, they have a different shape to the 403 and just don't feel right for me, at the moment I'm in a process of trying to stretch them, however the plastic toebox is narrower that the 403 and not stretchable. The 403 feel good when not cycling, but not wide enough when my foot expands, the 238s feel wider in the forefoot, but crush my 1st and 4th toes. On paper at Lake the 403s are much wider than the 238s, but the shape is very different, and measured from the outside, the soles are narrower on the 238s, however this may be due to the bathtub sole impacting the inner width on the 403s.

Stretching - I've come to think that I either need custom shoes, or shoes I can stretch and shape. Stretching of the 238s has been restricted by the plastic toebox and the inner plastic micromesh. My CX1 are currently at the cobbler, but he tells me they are stretching quite well, I'll test them next week.

I've seen the CS201s which appear to have a different toe box shape, but the Lake website has them has narrower than the 403 and 238 wide - and testing new shoes is a costly exercise.

I have tried Shimano road shoes in wide, however the soles are not 'wide', so my foot spills over the edges of the sole, which is not comfortable. And they just don't fee comfortable.
Have you tried the 332s? They come in extra wide which should be a few mm wider than the 403 wide

nunokas

by nunokas

For the ones without a geisha foot, do you recommend lake shoes for bunions?
Starting to feel some disconfort with my fizik 😕

milanv

by milanv

nunokas wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:27 pm
Yes, but it depends on model and it is individual...

nunokas

by nunokas

milanv wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:16 pm
nunokas wrote:

Can you name some models that could help?

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I'm considering buying a pair of Lake CX238 in wide. Their sizing chart for length puts me in a 41 EU, but the width measurement is roughly 5mm wider than my foot width. I don't want my foot floating around in the shoe, does anyone know if this extra 5mm width would be an issue? There aren't any retailers in my city, so I have to order them online. Thanks

eeney

by eeney

The lake shoes designed for Bunions are the CX241 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIMTCg-5EdA

One of the mistakes I made was measuring my feet two short/narrow. I've realised that during cycling my feet expand, I should have gone up a half to a full size.... this also ensures room for thicker winter socks. I did two measurements, one at home in the morning, and once at the shop, but I still feel at least half a size up would have been beneficial, but that may just be my feet.

Lake experience, the CX238 and CX1 both have the same sole, so theoretical fit. However, I found the CX1 a bit tighter initially, but also (personal need) I've been able to stretch the CX1s more (thanks to my local cobbler).

Buying cycling shoes with so little, or no stock in LBS is a shocking experience, especially if you have weird feet.

jlok

by jlok

For the CX241, definitely half-size up.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

milanv

by milanv

nunokas wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:35 pm
milanv wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:16 pm
nunokas wrote:

Can you name some models that could help?
E. g. 237 are wider than 238, 403 than 402, but I don't have any personal experience with another models, only information from the dealer... These concrete models I have tried.

eeney

by eeney

I'm questioning in the Lake size chart, becasue much the fit/suitability is down to shape of the shoe not just width. My 403s feel as wide as my 238s, but on the size chart they are 7% narrower. The 238 feel shorter/narrower in the toebox.

I'm intrigued by the CX176 which actually looks to widen more in the forefoot, or even the 201 for indoor zwifting.....but these are not available in my country.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TribesMan

by TribesMan

From my experience CX176 wide are narrower than CX238 wide.
Also the overall volume of the shoe is lower in CX176.

My feet are also narrower than specified witdh of CX238.
But apart from the heel cup, every other part of the shoe can be tightened down to fit my foot completely.
So I would not worry about shoes being too wide in the forefoot at all.
Heel might be an issue though.