Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

:beerchug:

Many thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EagleSeven

by EagleSeven

eeney wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:15 pm
Long post warning - I have bought and tried most wide cycling shoes in my expensive search for on the bike comfort, so I'll share some of my findings. Note that I have very short and wide feet (260mm long by 110 wide) and my feet are an odd shape, with widen far back and stay wide to the toes, so I need a forefoot shape that widens quickly and a stays wide with a squared toe box.

With Bont and Lake I was the same size, with Luck I had to size up, so interesting yours is lower/smaller.

In my search I've tried wide Bont Vaypor and Riot, Wide Lake 238 and 403, then Luck shoes. My observations, for my feet, remember this is a market study of one. Noting that no shoes were going to work for me, because on top of very wide feet I have other issues, I'm currently working with a podiatrist to resolve those:

• Bont Wide - nice and wide, with a square not tapered toe box, this works well for me as my toes have more space. However, Bonts have a carbon tub design which feels great for power transfer, but not very forgiving if the shoes don't fit perfectly. Note you can heat mould most Bonts. Many people love Bonts. I currently wear wide Bont Vaypors with holes cut out of the sides for my bunions. Bont say that the Vaypors are wider than the Riot. The Vaypor are also a lot stiffer than the Riot, so Riot's can be more forgiving, I quite like my Riots. The shape of Bonts seems to fit my wide feet, they widen early and stay wide to the squared toe box. Note that the Vaypors have quite a low volume forefoot to keep them snug, so if you need more forefoot volume you may want to find a shop to try them on first.
  • Lake 238 - the widest lake shoe according to them, and the best wide shoe according to many forums. For me they didn't feel that wide and didn't fit my feet, plus the toe box felt like it tapered in too much for a wide fitting shoe, or compared to the Bonts and 403s. They're not as performance orientated as the Bonts or 403s, but that's probably better for comfort. So, a wide, forgiving shoe that is loved by many but didn’t work for me, mainly because the toe box felt too tapered. Note that the CX1, 238 and 241 are supposed to be the same sole, or made from the same last. I had some CX1 which didn't fit me for the same reason as the 238s, however, I sold these and the buyer absolutely loved them. The CX1 looked great and held the foot very firmly, I really wanted the CX1s to fit but my feet are too weird.
  • Lake 403 - These have a carbon tub style like the Bonts, plus the mouldable heel cup, they are more mouldable than the Bonts, they seem to soften and be more pliable. Strangely, I felt the 403s were better than the 238s, perhaps not as wide at the widest part of the foot, but they seem to widen earlier and have a less tapered toe box, this was 'my experience'. Definitely a performance shoe that hold the foot really firmly in place, especially the heel when moulded. Like the CX1 I sole these to a guy with wide feet and he absolutely loved them.
  • Luck 'special wide' - these are wider than all of the above, again the sizing is differed from Lake and Bont, I had to size up. Definitely the widest of all three brands. Nice shoes, very wide and a good fit for my wider feet, the toe box isn't quite as squared off as the Bonts, but they have more volume and a wider toe box than the Lake 238s. I paid a lot of money for custom made Luck, but now the 'special wide' is a 'off the shelf' option it makes them much cheaper, despite the super fast but more expensive DHL shipping. For sizing and info you can contact Luck and they are very helpful.

So, when I get my orthotics sorted, with my very wide feet which shoes will I go back to?......Tough question but here is my thinking:

• Bonts - I could go for dble wide or semi-custom bonts but these cost a huge AUD $750
  • Luck - these are the easy choice in extra wide fit and a delivered price of AUD $200 - looking most likely
  • Lake 403 - I would love to go back and try these with my orthotics, I loved how they fit, just not sure if they're wide enough for me, and they're pricey performance shoe.

It may seem odd that the 238s don't come on my short list, but again they just didn't fit my feet, whereas most people love them. I think Lake have stopped making the CX1 lace-up shoes, but I preferred the fit of these over the 238s.

Sorry for the long post, shoes as hard to get right if you have unusually shaped feet. The worst thing is that you don’t know if they’re comfortable until after you’ve ridden in them which makes it even more difficult, and in my case, an expensive experience.
We have fairly the same size foot. Was wondering what size did you go for with the lake 403s?

eeney

by eeney

I went with 40.5 wide in the 403s, but they were slightly too small. Nice and snug, but my feet need extra space to move inside the shoe, 41 would have been better. I think the Lake size chart is pretty accurate https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

eeney

by eeney

Has anyone tried the new Lake CX424... not sure how new they are. They've taken the 241, added a wider, more squared off toe box, and included the carbon mouldable heel cup.

I've had the 238s but found the toebox too narrow, and I've had the 403s with the amazing snug mouldable heel cup.... so I'm very keen to hear reviews of these cx242s, on paper they seem to be a big upgrade.

... there is already a thread on this, my mistake

Lina

by Lina

eeney wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:58 am
Has anyone tried the new Lake CX424... not sure how new they are. They've taken the 241, added a wider, more squared off toe box, and included the carbon mouldable heel cup.

I've had the 238s but found the toebox too narrow, and I've had the 403s with the amazing snug mouldable heel cup.... so I'm very keen to hear reviews of these cx242s, on paper they seem to be a big upgrade.

... there is already a thread on this, my mistake
The 241 already has a moldable heel cup. My biggest issue with the 241 is the tapering toe box. I'm looking at 403s to replace the 241s with.

eeney

by eeney

Lina wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:16 pm
............. I'm looking at 403s to replace the 241s with.
I had the 403s and loved them, the heel cup could be moulded very easily to really lock in the heel. Plus the 403 toebox was actually more rounded/squared than the tapered toebox of the 238/241.... I just need more forefoot space for bunnions, hence looking at these 242..... just really hard to judge the toebox shape using online photos only.

Lina

by Lina

eeney wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:19 pm
Lina wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:16 pm
............. I'm looking at 403s to replace the 241s with.
I had the 403s and loved them, the heel cup could be moulded very easily to really lock in the heel. Plus the 403 toebox was actually more rounded/squared than the tapered toebox of the 238/241.... I just need more forefoot space for bunnions, hence looking at these 242..... just really hard to judge the toebox shape using online photos only.
It really is. I hate buying shoes online. But it's what I gotta do if I want high end shoes.

idickers

by idickers

I just got my cx242s. I also ordered some cx238s to compare. The 242s have a noticeable width increase in the toe box, and the two "strap" method of tightening accomodates weird foot shapes. No miles in them yet, but I sent the 238s back and kept the 242s.

eeney

by eeney

idickers wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:05 am
I just got my cx242s. I also ordered some cx238s to compare. The 242s have a noticeable width increase in the toe box, and the two "strap" method of tightening accomodates weird foot shapes. No miles in them yet, but I sent the 238s back and kept the 242s.
Have you heat moulded the heel yet? I'm keen to know if it's as affective as teh 403s, the heel could be easily moulded to really hold the heel in place.

idickers

by idickers

eeney wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:18 am
idickers wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:05 am
Have you heat moulded the heel yet? I'm keen to know if it's as affective as teh 403s, the heel could be easily moulded to really hold the heel in place.
Not yet. There is a bit of space in the heel, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it firms up.

idickers

by idickers

Wow. I totally love the cx242s. On a lark I ordered the cx242s in a wide size as well as the regular. The regular version fit well, but the wide version fits fantastic. The toe box on the wide shoe is noticeably broader than the standard version. I have a wide forefoot with a narrow heel and have always had trouble finding shoes that fit well. This has been exacerbated by 10 years of minimalist running shoes, which have let my toes spread a bit more. I cooked the shoes in the oven and heat-molded the heel cup, and the shoes got even better. I have never had a pair of cycling shoes that feel this great. Heck, I want Lake to start making street shoes now!

I haven't ridden on these yet, but thought I'd give my thoughts on the shoe fit. A bit pricey, but worth every penny if you have a foot that is hard to fit.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I was getting seriously interested in the Lake CX242's as an option until I saw the price here in Aus :shock: :shock: :shock:

Over A$500 + postage :unbelievable:

eeney

by eeney

MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:48 am
I was getting seriously interested in the Lake CX242's as an option until.......
I agree, the only place to buy at the moment is Lake. Need to wait until Bikebug get stock, hopefully they'll be a lot cheaper.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

eeney wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:57 am
MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:48 am
I was getting seriously interested in the Lake CX242's as an option until.......
I agree, the only place to buy at the moment is Lake. Need to wait until Bikebug get stock, hopefully they'll be a lot cheaper.
And win X-Lotto !!! :beerchug:

But that's for people who don't understand probability .... :smartass:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hmmm, the bug has bitten, but as I can;t try them on, the sizing is a concern (and the pricing is such there are no returns).

Current shoes -
Bont Riot+ EU46 Wide - just big enough, need a minor tweak on the R big toe (foot length of 281 - 285mm and 115 - 116mm wide)
Shimano RC901 46 Std - fit pretty good, but getting a bit shabby now

Lake options :
CX238 45.5W in White for A$206 (foot length of 286 - 290mm and 117mm wide)
CX238 46W in Black for A$216 (foot length of 290 - 293mm and 118mm wide)
CX403 46.5W in Wh/Bl for A$305 (foot length of 293 - 296mm and 112.8mm wide)
Prices include shipping

Another option is the Bont Riot+ in 46.5W or 47W at A$199 (foot length of 286 - 290mm & 116 - 118mm wide & 291 - 295mm and 118 - 119mm wide)

Going by the size charts and Lakes 'Fit Matrix', the CX238 in 45.5 W is the best option - gives me a bit more length and a smidge wider.

The CX238 in Black at 46W is a bit longer again, but extra width may be good too.

The CX403 is not really a match, so that's out

Any suggestions as to 45.5W or 46W ?

Foot against wall is almost spot on 280 - 282mm without socks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com