Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

idickers

by idickers

Have you checked the Lake sizing procedure on their website? After the measurements the size recommendation was pretty much spot-on for me. Theirs was the first online measurment sytem that actually worked for me. Plus, you can call them and talk about what you are looking for in a shoe and they will give you recommendations.

For comparison: my foot measures 279mm length, 100mm width, and they recommended a size 45. I went with a 45 wide and it fits my foot perfectly.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Did that last night, and will double check the measurements against the available sizes.

Cheers

Update :

So measurements are:
Left - 280mm L x 116W
Right - 283mm L x 118mm W

So given that and the CX238 wide suits a wide width, Med instep and volume, it seems that the CX238X in 45.5 is the one to go for. The 46 wide version adds a bit more width which is good, but may be a bit long ?

Decisions, decisions - White and right or Black and a tad long .....

How supple are the uppers ? The Bont Riot+ uppers are pretty stiff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

idickers

by idickers

The uppers on the 242s are very supple. They are leather uppers.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Ended up going for the Black CX238X in 46.

It'll allow for the G8 inner soles that I use. Now just need to wait for them in the post !!

g32ecs

by g32ecs

eeney wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:15 pm
[*] Luck - these are the easy choice in extra wide fit and a delivered price of AUD $200 - looking most likely
As a fellow Wide footer Im going to chime in here with Luck shoes

I got mine in 2021. Followed everything to a T. Build quality is good but there's some things I wasnt satisfied with:

- ATop sucks. They really do.

- I have heal slippage on my right shoe. It isnt too bad when Im "going" but noticeable when Im on my trainer

- their lasts arent Wide as I would like them to be. They're a Shimano regular at best

Ive tried the CX238s before and the dead spot at the toes werent jiving with my feet

To date, the best road shoes Ive had were the Shimano RP9 circa 2019. The lasts were flat and wide enough and the uppers were flat. Im also using the RX8 for Gravel in regular width

eeney

by eeney

@g32ecs interesting feedback on the Luck shoes, they are lower on the heel/ankle, but I didn't actually get any heel slip. I think much of it comes down to foot shape as well as width. For example, I found Lake 238s didn't fit, not too narrow, but just didn't fit my foot shape, mostly due to a tapered toe box (seems to be updated on the 242, I wonder if we'll get an updated 238 seen as they previously used the same last). Also with the Luck shoes, I found there was more volume in the upper which helped - but your feedback is interesting.

In the end I sold one pair of my Luck shoes (wrong size) and the guy who bought them absolutely loves them.

I'm now onto a pair of Bont double wide, got them off a friend for whom they didn't work out. These are working well for me so far, very wide coupled with the Bont square toe box. My only slight complaint with Bont Vaypor is the that the uppers are not high volume which I would prefer to help accommodate my orthotics. The Bont dbl wide are a big investment new and a risk because you can't return them. The guy I bought them off was unlucky, although he has found that Bont Wide Asian Fit are the right option for him - again, it's all about personal foot shape.

I'm watching the CX242 feedback carefully, when I tried the 241s I found the toe box too tapered and that the shoe didn't feel like a 'race shoe'. The 242 changes seem to have addressed both of these..... Again, interesting to see if the 242 updates will get passed on to a 238 upgrade model soon.

trickytree1984

by trickytree1984

Sorry for the gatecrash.

I have just purchased a set of lake CX 332. My feet are 278mm long and 101mm wide. I went with 45 regular. Now they do feel snug around the widest point of my foot, hard to tell if this will be uncomfortable until i take them for a ride (by which point ive used them).

Now the lake fitting guide says 99mm last width in a 45, the shoe measures 102.5 on the outside. The issue is if i go to wide thay are 107mm, which is 6mm wider than i need.

My slight dilemma is i got these at a liquidation auction, so i cant send them back for another size, but i could put them on the bay :).

Thoughts? If you are overmm under the last width, would you go up to the next last width which is then too wide?
Last edited by trickytree1984 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idickers

by idickers

Tough call. When I bought mine I got them from a retailer that would accept returns, so I ordered my size in a regular and wide variant. The regular felt snug, and my toes felt cramped, even though it was minor. The toe box on the wide had noticeabley more room, so for me the wide was the right fit and I returned the regular.

trickytree1984

by trickytree1984

idickers wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:02 pm
Tough call. When I bought mine I got them from a retailer that would accept returns, so I ordered my size in a regular and wide variant. The regular felt snug, and my toes felt cramped, even though it was minor. The toe box on the wide had noticeabley more room, so for me the wide was the right fit and I returned the regular.

Thanks for the advice. Out of interest did you measure your foot vs the reccomended last size with Lake.

Having now fitted the cleats, moulded the soles and tried them out on a traininer they do feel good, but thats probably because my prv fiziks are measuring 5mm narrower!!

idickers

by idickers

I did use the Lake sizing. I also called and talked with them; they were really helpful finding the correct shoe model with the last that would best fit my foot.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Well, my Lake CX238X in 46 arrived on Friday.

Got them out of the box with great apprehension given past issues with shoe fit and that these can't be returned.

Slipped them on and ...... HEAVEN !!!

The length, width and toe box are great and with the long tongue and centre cutout that extends very fwd, the front Boa actually does some clamping.

Will see what stock the shop has and buy another pair. Will return the Shimano MTB shoes that I just got and keep an eye out for the Lake MTB shoes as well.

Many thanks for all the guidance from others above.

:beerchug:

idickers

by idickers

Glad you found a good fit. I liked the road cx242 so much that I also bought the mtb version, the mx242. I spent more than I had planned, but the quality of the shoe and amazing fit were worth it to me.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

The best price on the MX238 is the better part of A$400, almost double the road version that I got.

There is still another pair of the CX238X at the price I paid , so will grab those !!!

RDY

by RDY

Anyone have any input on fit for the CX302 vs CX332?

I was pinning my hopes on the CX201s, as the forefoot would be perfect for me, but having tried on a 48 belonging to someone else (I need the 50), my heel was completely lost in the shoe. It was like the shoe was made for my overweight great aunts with hugely swollen ankles.

Now tried the CX302-X (wide) in 50. Length was fine but forefoot width and volume was too low. Will either have to try the XX (extra wide) in the 302 or or 332. Does the 332 have a lower volume ankle and heel area? In the 302 it was usable, but still not great.

Side note, I tried the MX238 in 50 wide ... Insanely heavy and big heel area (but not CX201 big). But I'm going to keep them because I can't tell without riding them whether they'll be better that the Shimano XC3 in 51 I have, which fit wise would be great for me if they were 2x boa instead of 1x (top of foot is loose).

andreas

by andreas

Does the heat molding of the heel make the shoe a bit longer? I'm surprised that my big toe touches the forefront of the shoe, even though I went for a size that is listed as 4-8mm longer than my feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com