Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

RDY wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:58 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:00 pm
How is the CX332 vs the CX302. Forefoot of a CX302 extra wide fits me, but the heel is a bit loose, and the ankle area and around it on the upper foot are also pretty loose. Would a CX332 extra wide be lower volume in those areas?
Anyone?
It is, but if you are like me you might have to settle on Lake 301/302 extra wide. It is the only model truly wide enough for me, but the volume is excessive.

I use Sidas inserts which take up some needed room, and "cinch the hell out of them".

MichaelB

by MichaelB

feynman wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:40 pm
If you can shop the outlet section outside the US, there are some excellent deals to be had. I'm a big fan of the MX238, currently available in a couple of variants for $199. The MX238 is my first cycling shoe where I realized cycling doesn't have to involve foot discomfort. Naturally, our feet and experiences vary.
I've visited it many times, but the availability of 46 wide in many models is poor, and the exchange rate is garbage at the moment.

The real surprise is their shipping cost ! It's actually VERY reasonable

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

Ok, I finally got a pair of CX201s a week ago and have been putting them up to test. Went from 44.5 in CX241 to 45 in these and I have to say they're the best cycling shoe I've ever put on my feet. Might have also been able to make 44 work due to the nature of the toe box material. And I've tried A LOT of shoes. It's the first pair of cycling shoes that has a toe box that doesn't bully my toes. Sure they aren't perfect but so what? I've put them through 450 W intervals and 1000 W sprints and they're just as good as any other shoe I've put on during those. I've taken them to 180 cadence and they're like any other cycling shoe. I've done an 8 hour trainer ride and they're by far the comfiest shoe I've ever had on. Absolutely no bad feelings at all during any of the rides. The wide heel doesn't actually matter, I've not experienced my heel lifting from them even when they're not cinched all the way up unless I'm sprinting.

Now to the downsides, they're quite big volume. I might try adding something under the insole to see if I can artificially inflate the volume of my feet a bit. This would of course increase stack height of the shoe. But it would also be a way to completely eliminate toe spring from the shoe, which there isn't that much to begin with. Also due to the material of the toe box they're frigid in cold weather compared to any shoe I've had before. And absolutely require overshoes when it's cold or wet to not freeze your feet. I'm expecting this to also be a positive during hot days.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Few people recommended going up 1/2 a size with 241s, does that hold true with 242s also?

I my feet are around 280/110mm and regular MX238 in size 45 felt too narrow and maybe even tad short.

MX242-X or MX 332 extra wide could be worth the try, if I could find them somewhere with decent a return policy.

idickers

by idickers

rawjunk wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:28 pm
Few people recommended going up 1/2 a size with 241s, does that hold true with 242s also?

I my feet are around 280/110mm and regular MX238 in size 45 felt too narrow and maybe even tad short.

MX242-X or MX 332 extra wide could be worth the try, if I could find them somewhere with decent a return policy.
I'm not sure where you are located, but I got my Lake shoes from Backcountry.com. They stock a good selection of Lake shoes and have a great return policy.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

idickers wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:34 pm
rawjunk wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:28 pm

I'm not sure where you are located, but I got my Lake shoes from Backcountry.com. They stock a good selection of Lake shoes and have a great return policy.
EU. Bike24 has them in camo and they have decent return policy, but I'm not sure if I trust myself fitting 380 € shoes :)

by 208

Lina wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:31 pm
Ok, I finally got a pair of CX201s a week ago and have been putting them up to test. Went from 44.5 in CX241 to 45 in these and I have to say they're the best cycling shoe I've ever put on my feet. Might have also been able to make 44 work due to the nature of the toe box material. And I've tried A LOT of shoes. It's the first pair of cycling shoes that has a toe box that doesn't bully my toes. Sure they aren't perfect but so what? I've put them through 450 W intervals and 1000 W sprints and they're just as good as any other shoe I've put on during those. I've taken them to 180 cadence and they're like any other cycling shoe. I've done an 8 hour trainer ride and they're by far the comfiest shoe I've ever had on. Absolutely no bad feelings at all during any of the rides. The wide heel doesn't actually matter, I've not experienced my heel lifting from them even when they're not cinched all the way up unless I'm sprinting.

Now to the downsides, they're quite big volume. I might try adding something under the insole to see if I can artificially inflate the volume of my feet a bit. This would of course increase stack height of the shoe. But it would also be a way to completely eliminate toe spring from the shoe, which there isn't that much to begin with. Also due to the material of the toe box they're frigid in cold weather compared to any shoe I've had before. And absolutely require overshoes when it's cold or wet to not freeze your feet. I'm expecting this to also be a positive during hot days.
These are based on a fantastic last! By far the comfiest shoe I've had. I only wear thin flat wide-toebox 'barefoot' type casual shoes these days so finding the cx201 was great since it essentially has a barefoot last. Unfortuntately they had some problems for me...

The top nut of the t-nut plate of mine completely sheared off (I've always used a torque wrench and anti-seize so I'm confident they haven't been overcranked). I changed my cleats 3 times and on the 3rd time it completely sheared off.

Lake has informed me that the t-nut plate is not replaceable on the cx201...

Additionally, the bolts that come with assioma cleats are too long and if you drive them to 5Nm, you will poke through the sole and into your footbed and once it eats through your footbed, it'll start eating your foot. So they require either multiple rectangular nuts or shorter bolts. This doesn't seem to be an issue on any other shoe I have, so it leads me to think that perhaps the sole thickness is thinner than other shoes.

Now I'm emailing Lake trying to get something done about it, but they take days to reply and I need to send multiple reminders prior to them actually responding. The t-nut sheared within 1 year of using, yet the retailer, probikekit, which is an authorised reseller, said it's normal wear and tear and they won't do anything about it, which is idiotic imo.

Another thing is my carbon sole developed some small bubbles with a small amount of delamination. Probably nothing to be concerned about, but it's something.

Anyway, hope others can at least use this info and avoid this issue if they're using cx201.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

I just tried MX332-X wide and they don't fit any better than Shimano RX8's. They should be 109,8 mm wide but measure closer to 100 mm's. Length should be fine according to size chart but I can feel my toes hitting the front/upper. Heel retention felt great out of the box, so I'm guessing MX242's wouldn't fit me either.

RX8's without soles feel quite good, so maybe XC902 wide could be an option.

The carbon last is 10mm wider than RX8s and they look quite a bit shorter.