Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nunokas

by nunokas

eeney wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:31 am
The lake shoes designed for Bunions are the CX241 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIMTCg-5EdA

One of the mistakes I made was measuring my feet two short/narrow. I've realised that during cycling my feet expand, I should have gone up a half to a full size.... this also ensures room for thicker winter socks. I did two measurements, one at home in the morning, and once at the shop, but I still feel at least half a size up would have been beneficial, but that may just be my feet.

Lake experience, the CX238 and CX1 both have the same sole, so theoretical fit. However, I found the CX1 a bit tighter initially, but also (personal need) I've been able to stretch the CX1s more (thanks to my local cobbler).

Buying cycling shoes with so little, or no stock in LBS is a shocking experience, especially if you have weird feet.
They look good but a bit expensive.
How should they compare with the cheaper and also heat moldable bont riot? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parleez1

by parleez1

I don't have bunions, but I can attest to the width and comfort of the cx241 wide shoes, they have been the most comfortable cycling shoes I have owned, numerous foot issues, these are wonderful!
Attachments
F71B4D1C-C7BC-4373-9F56-81582FA13533.jpeg
28980138-D3F3-432B-9CBF-9809F9EF32B6.jpeg
5CBE06EE-7EAF-4423-AECB-9A1F1A0BD5E7.jpeg

jlok

by jlok

I got the CX 201. The sole is composed of layers of thicker fiber glass (whitish layers in the shoe) and thinner carbon fiber. The sole flexes quite a bit when comparing to the sitffest soles like Bont (twist it torsionally or step on the front when walking). Insole is a new one from Syksol with more pronounced arch support and EVA foams at fore foot and heel areas. The instep is roomy and opening is very wide. Trust the sizing method by Lake if you are unsure or you need to wear thick winter socks.
Last edited by jlok on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

milanv

by milanv

jlok wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 am
I got the CX 201. The sole is composed of layers of thicker fiber glass (whitish layers in the shoe) and thinner carbon fiber. The sole flexes quite a bit when comparing to the sitffest soles like Bont (twist it torsionally or step on the front when walking). Insole is a new one from Skysol with more pronounced arch support and EVA foams at fore foot and heel areas. The instep is roomy and opening is very wide. Trust the sizing method by Lake if you are unsure or you need to wear thick winter socks.
... Syksol insoles...

jlok

by jlok

Yea, thx for the correction :)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ABogle

by ABogle

For anyone who is interested in the wide fit shoes produced by Lake, the fits vary quite a bit accross the range. I also found that their wide fits are wide everywhere, in my case my foot is actually rather narrow and has a low instep, its only the forefoot that is wide. CX332 in a wide fit was maybe a little looser than i would have have liked around the midfoot and heel, however the toebox was still too narrow, the extra wide fit was a bathtub. The 403 W had enough width for the toes, but it was wayt way too big for me at the heel and midfoot thus provided little support. Neither worked basically.

robotneal

by robotneal

I recently picked up the Lake MXZ 176 for winter - they only come in "wide" and so thought they would offer similar room for my feet as the Sidi mega dragon mtb shoes i've got.
Both are the same size EU 41, although I read Sidis come up small so I have no idea what sizes mean anymore haha.

The Lakes insoles were awfully thick though, so put in the ones I had in the sidis (Sidas insoles).
Well the Lakes have turned out to feel tighter around the toes. I think it's more of a volume thing since my toes are a bit of a weird shape. Sidis mega last has a bit more volume overall it feels like.

The lakes do keep my feet warm though, which is great :)

parleez1

by parleez1

I'm thinking on trying the Fizik Vento Infinito Carbon 2 Wide for a new pair of wide shoes. I love my Lake cx241wides, but looking to try something new. Anyone riding these shoes? Appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Things I don't like about Lakes for road riding:

1) Terrible heel hold on basically all models, even the ones you can bake.
2) For a shoe marketed at wider feet, the toe box leaves a lot to be desired in terms of volume and width.
3) Weird shole shape and cleat hole alignement. Setting up cleats is a weird one with these, as straight actually looks really toed in going by the soles.
4) Built in arch support. Probably great if you need it, but if you don't, it is not good (Bont do the same to be fair).

So Lake promised much and the fit out of the box is nice, but on the bike, it was a big no from me. Disapoiting, as i like the concept of catering to my widefore foot a lot.

parleez1

by parleez1

tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:16 pm

2) For a shoe marketed at wider feet, the toe box leaves a lot to be desired in terms of volume and width.
3) Weird shole shape and cleat hole alignement. Setting up cleats is a weird one with these, as straight actually looks really toed in going by the soles.
4) Built in arch support. Probably great if you need it, but if you don't, it is not good (Bont do the same to be fair).

So Lake promised much and the fit out of the box is nice, but on the bike, it was a big no from me. Disapoiting, as i like the concept of catering to my widefore foot a lot.
Realizing everyone's feet are different and we all have different needs in cycling shoes, I found the cx41wide to address the width and height in the toe box quite well. I still wear these shoes but have recently purchased the Fizik Vento Infinito wide knit which I also like very much.
Good luck!

RDY

by RDY

I just wish they'd do a 49. 48s are a bit too tight for me, and don't feel much bigger than 47s, but 50s are absolutely gigantic by comparison. The shape is perfect for me but ... no suitable size.

GrandTourtoise

by GrandTourtoise

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. My feet measure 298mm long and 115mm wide. According to the Lake chart the CX238 Wide fit should be good for me. However I've seen a really good deal on some CX241 standard fit so it's really tempting to order them to try. Their structure and the way they tighten makes me wonder if they'd actually be a reasonable fit and I'd like to option to tighten the heel. Does anyone have similar sized feet and experience of the two? Thanks.
Last edited by GrandTourtoise on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

Yes Lake shoes are wide but you still have to know if the widest point matches your foot. I find it a bit too close to the front for me...

eeney

by eeney

Interesting question, the soles/shape of the two are the same, this is my understanding. The 241 is designed to accomodate any bulges along the foot. I have two friends who love them, one has an old scar which creates a bulging sensitive area, the other guy has a bunion. The 241 have vertical panels that can allow more 'give' in specific areas if needed. When I spoke to Lake they said that the 241 was only needed if you had special areas to accomodate like bunions. I tried them both and preferred the 238s, but they are both very similar, the 238s felt more like a performance fit.

In the end I got some special wide shoes from a company in Spain (Luck), they now do the special wide road shoe as an off-the-shelf item, shipping is a bit high but very quick as they use DHL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

tommyboyo wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:16 pm

Did your heel just came out?

Unless they do, I don't understand what people refer to when saying this.