Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GrandTourtoise

by GrandTourtoise

eeney wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:41 am
Interesting question, the soles/shape of the two are the same, this is my understanding. The 241 is designed to accomodate any bulges along the foot. I have two friends who love them, one has an old scar which creates a bulging sensitive area, the other guy has a bunion. The 241 have vertical panels that can allow more 'give' in specific areas if needed. When I spoke to Lake they said that the 241 was only needed if you had special areas to accomodate like bunions. I tried them both and preferred the 238s, but they are both very similar, the 238s felt more like a performance fit.

In the end I got some special wide shoes from a company in Spain (Luck), they now do the special wide road shoe as an off-the-shelf item, shipping is a bit high but very quick as they use DHL
I think after looking at the photos, the 241 have a narrower toe box, in which case the 238 will suit me better but I'd like to try both just to be sure. Thse Luck shoes look interesting, and according to their chart I'd be a 47 rather than a 48. Not much detail on the width measurements that I can see though and no reviews in English which is a shame.

eeney

by eeney

Long post warning - I have bought and tried most wide cycling shoes in my expensive search for on the bike comfort, so I'll share some of my findings. Note that I have very short and wide feet (260mm long by 110 wide) and my feet are an odd shape, with widen far back and stay wide to the toes, so I need a forefoot shape that widens quickly and a stays wide with a squared toe box.

With Bont and Lake I was the same size, with Luck I had to size up, so interesting yours is lower/smaller.

In my search I've tried wide Bont Vaypor and Riot, Wide Lake 238 and 403, then Luck shoes. My observations, for my feet, remember this is a market study of one. Noting that no shoes were going to work for me, because on top of very wide feet I have other issues, I'm currently working with a podiatrist to resolve those:

• Bont Wide - nice and wide, with a square not tapered toe box, this works well for me as my toes have more space. However, Bonts have a carbon tub design which feels great for power transfer, but not very forgiving if the shoes don't fit perfectly. Note you can heat mould most Bonts. Many people love Bonts. I currently wear wide Bont Vaypors with holes cut out of the sides for my bunions. Bont say that the Vaypors are wider than the Riot. The Vaypor are also a lot stiffer than the Riot, so Riot's can be more forgiving, I quite like my Riots. The shape of Bonts seems to fit my wide feet, they widen early and stay wide to the squared toe box. Note that the Vaypors have quite a low volume forefoot to keep them snug, so if you need more forefoot volume you may want to find a shop to try them on first.
  • Lake 238 - the widest lake shoe according to them, and the best wide shoe according to many forums. For me they didn't feel that wide and didn't fit my feet, plus the toe box felt like it tapered in too much for a wide fitting shoe, or compared to the Bonts and 403s. They're not as performance orientated as the Bonts or 403s, but that's probably better for comfort. So, a wide, forgiving shoe that is loved by many but didn’t work for me, mainly because the toe box felt too tapered. Note that the CX1, 238 and 241 are supposed to be the same sole, or made from the same last. I had some CX1 which didn't fit me for the same reason as the 238s, however, I sold these and the buyer absolutely loved them. The CX1 looked great and held the foot very firmly, I really wanted the CX1s to fit but my feet are too weird.
  • Lake 403 - These have a carbon tub style like the Bonts, plus the mouldable heel cup, they are more mouldable than the Bonts, they seem to soften and be more pliable. Strangely, I felt the 403s were better than the 238s, perhaps not as wide at the widest part of the foot, but they seem to widen earlier and have a less tapered toe box, this was 'my experience'. Definitely a performance shoe that hold the foot really firmly in place, especially the heel when moulded. Like the CX1 I sole these to a guy with wide feet and he absolutely loved them.
  • Luck 'special wide' - these are wider than all of the above, again the sizing is differed from Lake and Bont, I had to size up. Definitely the widest of all three brands. Nice shoes, very wide and a good fit for my wider feet, the toe box isn't quite as squared off as the Bonts, but they have more volume and a wider toe box than the Lake 238s. I paid a lot of money for custom made Luck, but now the 'special wide' is a 'off the shelf' option it makes them much cheaper, despite the super fast but more expensive DHL shipping. For sizing and info you can contact Luck and they are very helpful.

So, when I get my orthotics sorted, with my very wide feet which shoes will I go back to?......Tough question but here is my thinking:

• Bonts - I could go for dble wide or semi-custom bonts but these cost a huge AUD $750
  • Luck - these are the easy choice in extra wide fit and a delivered price of AUD $200 - looking most likely
  • Lake 403 - I would love to go back and try these with my orthotics, I loved how they fit, just not sure if they're wide enough for me, and they're pricey performance shoe.

It may seem odd that the 238s don't come on my short list, but again they just didn't fit my feet, whereas most people love them. I think Lake have stopped making the CX1 lace-up shoes, but I preferred the fit of these over the 238s.

Sorry for the long post, shoes as hard to get right if you have unusually shaped feet. The worst thing is that you don’t know if they’re comfortable until after you’ve ridden in them which makes it even more difficult, and in my case, an expensive experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GrandTourtoise

by GrandTourtoise

eeney wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:15 pm
Long post warning - I have bought and tried most wide cycling shoes in my expensive search for on the bike comfort, so I'll share some of my findings. Note that I have very short and wide feet (260mm long by 110 wide) and my feet are an odd shape, with widen far back and stay wide to the toes, so I need a forefoot shape that widens quickly and a stays wide with a squared toe box.

With Bont and Lake I was the same size, with Luck I had to size up, so interesting yours is lower/smaller.

In my search I've tried wide Bont Vaypor and Riot, Wide Lake 238 and 403, then Luck shoes. My observations, for my feet, remember this is a market study of one. Noting that no shoes were going to work for me, because on top of very wide feet I have other issues, I'm currently working with a podiatrist to resolve those:

• Bont Wide - nice and wide, with a square not tapered toe box, this works well for me as my toes have more space. However, Bonts have a carbon tub design which feels great for power transfer, but not very forgiving if the shoes don't fit perfectly. Note you can heat mould most Bonts. Many people love Bonts. I currently wear wide Bont Vaypors with holes cut out of the sides for my bunions. Bont say that the Vaypors are wider than the Riot. The Vaypor are also a lot stiffer than the Riot, so Riot's can be more forgiving, I quite like my Riots. The shape of Bonts seems to fit my wide feet, they widen early and stay wide to the squared toe box. Note that the Vaypors have quite a low volume forefoot to keep them snug, so if you need more forefoot volume you may want to find a shop to try them on first.
  • Lake 238 - the widest lake shoe according to them, and the best wide shoe according to many forums. For me they didn't feel that wide and didn't fit my feet, plus the toe box felt like it tapered in too much for a wide fitting shoe, or compared to the Bonts and 403s. They're not as performance orientated as the Bonts or 403s, but that's probably better for comfort. So, a wide, forgiving shoe that is loved by many but didn’t work for me, mainly because the toe box felt too tapered. Note that the CX1, 238 and 241 are supposed to be the same sole, or made from the same last. I had some CX1 which didn't fit me for the same reason as the 238s, however, I sold these and the buyer absolutely loved them. The CX1 looked great and held the foot very firmly, I really wanted the CX1s to fit but my feet are too weird.
  • Lake 403 - These have a carbon tub style like the Bonts, plus the mouldable heel cup, they are more mouldable than the Bonts, they seem to soften and be more pliable. Strangely, I felt the 403s were better than the 238s, perhaps not as wide at the widest part of the foot, but they seem to widen earlier and have a less tapered toe box, this was 'my experience'. Definitely a performance shoe that hold the foot really firmly in place, especially the heel when moulded. Like the CX1 I sole these to a guy with wide feet and he absolutely loved them.
  • Luck 'special wide' - these are wider than all of the above, again the sizing is differed from Lake and Bont, I had to size up. Definitely the widest of all three brands. Nice shoes, very wide and a good fit for my wider feet, the toe box isn't quite as squared off as the Bonts, but they have more volume and a wider toe box than the Lake 238s. I paid a lot of money for custom made Luck, but now the 'special wide' is a 'off the shelf' option it makes them much cheaper, despite the super fast but more expensive DHL shipping. For sizing and info you can contact Luck and they are very helpful.

So, when I get my orthotics sorted, with my very wide feet which shoes will I go back to?......Tough question but here is my thinking:

• Bonts - I could go for dble wide or semi-custom bonts but these cost a huge AUD $750
  • Luck - these are the easy choice in extra wide fit and a delivered price of AUD $200 - looking most likely
  • Lake 403 - I would love to go back and try these with my orthotics, I loved how they fit, just not sure if they're wide enough for me, and they're pricey performance shoe.

It may seem odd that the 238s don't come on my short list, but again they just didn't fit my feet, whereas most people love them. I think Lake have stopped making the CX1 lace-up shoes, but I preferred the fit of these over the 238s.

Sorry for the long post, shoes as hard to get right if you have unusually shaped feet. The worst thing is that you don’t know if they’re comfortable until after you’ve ridden in them which makes it even more difficult, and in my case, an expensive experience.
That's really helpful, thanks. My heel is fairly normal I think but my feet are also wide to my toes.

I currently have a pair of Bont Riots in a wide 50, which are fine with thicker socks for the first 25 mins, but after that I get hot foot around the ball of my foot and anything over an hour is really uncomfortable to the point that it's no longer enjoyable to ride. If I wear thin cycling socks they are noticeably too big.

I bought some G8 insoles which helped a little, but the bike fitter at the store that I bought them from measured my feet and said I should be wearing a 48, which as well as being a better overall fit, would allow for the cleats to be a little further back and be more comfortable.

I'm suprised that you sized up for the Luck shoes, if anything the chart suggests I should size down given that my feet measure 298mm long, a Lake 48 is 303.5-306mm and the Luck 48 is 313mm, and 47 307mm. The Luck shoe also looks narrower going by the measurements. A Lake CX238 48 wide is 122mm and the Luck Special Width is 112mm if I'm reading the chart correctly. I guess that just goes to show how different shoes can feel despite the measurements. Maybe I'll contact them directly to discuss.

Thanks again.

eeney

by eeney

GrandTourtoise wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:52 pm
I'm suprised that you sized up for the Luck shoes,......
Sorry, my mistake, I just pulled out the two shoes, in every way the 238s and Luck measure the same, however, when I put them on the Luck feel more roomy. If I overlay the insoles they are exactly the same.

I was wrong on the sizing, my Luck are 40, my 238s are 40.5, so you were correct, if I were to buy 238s again I'd go slightly bigger, so probably one size lower with the Lucks.

I'm trying on the Luck and Lakes and I cannot tell you why but the Luck feel better/roomier - but that's for me and my foot shape.

Looking at, and measuring the shoes and insoles side by side, I cannot see where the difference is. I realise this doesn't help.

Again, I have friends who love teh 241s because they can accomodate bunions and bumps, I just didn't like them when I tried them in the shop. And, lots of people rave about the 238s, it may be my feet that are very weird, so don't take me as a good guide for trying on shoes, hobbits have better shaped feet than me.

eeney

by eeney

The 238s are a very soft leather/material, the Luck are a slightly stiffer material upper, that may make a difference. Bont are stifer again with the Carbon tub and stiff upper (performance through and through). Lake 403 had a combination of stiff carbon tub with softer upper than the bonts, but still very supportive. Lake CX1 laceups were a stiffer upper than the 238s which I like, that may be a personal thing ( I don't think the CX1 are available any more, but you may find old stock very cheap)

GrandTourtoise

by GrandTourtoise

eeney wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:25 pm
The 238s are a very soft leather/material, the Luck are a slightly stiffer material upper, that may make a difference. Bont are stifer again with the Carbon tub and stiff upper (performance through and through). Lake 403 had a combination of stiff carbon tub with softer upper than the bonts, but still very supportive. Lake CX1 laceups were a stiffer upper than the 238s which I like, that may be a personal thing ( I don't think the CX1 are available any more, but you may find old stock very cheap)
Thanks, it's all helpful info to consider. Like you say, the difficulty with cycling shoes is that you never really know until you've actually ridden in them and they can no longer be returned.

I think I'll order some cx238 wides to try as they're a lot easier to return if they feel like they dont fit out of the box, and if that's the case then might be worth giving the Lucks a go.

Mortecouille

by Mortecouille

If my experience can be useful to anyone...

I found non-wide CX1Cs at a very good price, the length was good, but not the width. In size 41, the width in non-wide is 96mm (108mm in wide), but my feet are 104mm wide!

I took a chance and ordered them. With the original insole, my feet were really tight. This insole is really thick, so I replaced it with an ultra tin insole without arch support. With this alone, my feet were no longer cramped. Next, for lace-up shoes only, I used the hiking/biking lacing found on Ian's Shoelace website. Now I have the best shoes I could hope for.

After a lot of rides, I have no pain, no hot foot (and normally my feet swell when it is very hot). I sprint a lot and I was afraid to be handicapped with this kind of shoes, but there again no problem, it is even the opposite. With the biking lacing, I can tighten them properly and even leave them like that without any problem.

I'm not an expert in lake shoes, but if I had to buy a pair again in the "competition" range, I would definitely do the same thing, choose the non-wide version and replace the insole.

EDIT: I don't really agree with what I said anymore. The problem with laces is that it's either too tight or not tight enough, it's ok one time out of 10, it's annoying to manage.
Last edited by Mortecouille on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my english

eeney

by eeney

Can anyone compare the Lake CX201 to the 238s wide or 241s wide?

I ask becuase the shape of the 238s didn't work for me, they don't seem that wide in the forefoot. The 201s look intersting because of the square toebox and mesh forefoot, but I'd have buy them online and take a risk because I can't find them in Australia

bobinski

by bobinski

I bought the Lake 241 wide for my bunion ridden feet and what a revelation. I was riding Rapha with a custom insole and suffering from soreness and worse around the bunions. The lakes wide enough and the tops are so soft that for the first time in years I have no bunion discomfort at all .Even better my calves don't seem so sore post ride either. I am sure I was holding some tension in the lower leg as a result of poor fitting shoes but it is hugely reduced. If you suffer from bunions give them a go.

ipstefan

by ipstefan

I'm looking to get the Lake CX302 and would like to get some perspective on the sizing compared to Bont Vaypor/Zero or to Shimano S-Phyre 9/902/903.
What's the width/length like? I'm generally needing 29.5cm length insoles for running, and cycling shoes(mentioned above) and wide.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I purchased Bont recently and found a nice cross comparison to my Lake shoes sizing.

Under Shoe Size finder, there's brand comparison link.

https://shop.bontcycling.com/find-my-shoe-size/
https://sizing.bontcycling.com/

Good luck in finding your size.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Found the Luck website and their wide shoes, but couldn't find any details of their length and width (like Lake and Bont do).

Anyone assist there as they may be a good option for me.

Thx

X5SAE

by X5SAE

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:38 am
Found the Luck website and their wide shoes, but couldn't find any details of their length and width (like Lake and Bont do).

Thx
https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

That's what you are searching for, I guess.
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

MichaelB

by MichaelB

X5SAE wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:38 am

Thx
https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

That's what you are searching for, I guess.
Thanks - have found that, but need the one for the Luck (Spanish mob) shoes

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com