Etap AXS XPLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

req110

by req110

Can someone compare performance of XPLR with normal cranks vs XPLR with wide cranks?

I recently built aspero with rival axs xplr rear mech (force xplr cassette and force chain) and it has 1x rival wide cranks.

If i compare it to gravel bike i had (factor ls, force xplr cassette, force chain, force short mech with garbaruk cage) and had 1x Red cranks (non-wide), mine was shifting bit better.

I think that wider and wider chainline is not always better, the chain goes to crazier angles and that can decrease the shifting performance.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Besides the bigger range cassette, what's the difference between the xplr and the regular road rear derailleurs?

I often see the xplr being cheaper than regular axs road sram Rd.

Can the xplr be used with a regular axs fd on a normal road setup?

Thanks!

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Just FYI I am running the eagle xx1 with ceramic speed pulley wheels and in a mullet set up it works perfectly with the XPLR cassette using an eagle chain. I can then swap wheels to my eagle cassette and just adjust the bgap. (With a different eagle chain)
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:11 pm
Just FYI I am running the eagle xx1 with ceramic speed pulley wheels and in a mullet set up it works perfectly with the XPLR cassette using an eagle chain. I can then swap wheels to my eagle cassette and just adjust the bgap. (With a different eagle chain)
What size cassettes have you used? Or what was the smallest range?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

thewoodsman wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:12 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:11 pm
What size cassettes have you used? Or what was the smallest range?
10-44 and 10-50. I wouldn't use a smaller cassette as the bgap screw is almost completely out. Also it doesn't work well with the stock pulleys but does with the CS ones
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

Thanks, that's good to know. I tried the eagle derailleur from my mtb on my old gravel bike setup with a borrowed 10-33 and longer bgap screw. Close, but not workable. Now that I have a 10-36 cassette/derailleur, might try a garbaruk cage and see if I can get 10-36 & 10-50. I know it will work with 11-39, but I'm locked into xdr hubs.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:47 am
Besides the bigger range cassette, what's the difference between the xplr and the regular road rear derailleurs?

Thanks!
The bigger difference is the longer knuckle on the XPLR to accommodate a larger cassette.

Other than that none other.
I have a thread in the Gravel section about using XPLR RD as a 2X.
Go there and read it.

Yes it can be used as 2X , I used with a WIDE FD,cause my crank had a wide spindle, but you can use it with regular FD.

Wouldn' make a difference.
Even better it will have less severe angle...

Also using the XPLR with 10-36 is Ok, even though the B screw is almost out.You can use all the gears from small and large chainrings.

You would also be able to use it with 10-33 as a 1X, or as 2X but not using the small ring after the 17t cog.
After that chain gets LOOSE.
I tried and shortened it and then was a too short when crosschaining Big-Big.

In short it's doable with only 2 cassette options.

pmprego

by pmprego

andy4g63 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:29 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:47 am

Thanks!
The bigger difference is the longer knuckle on the XPLR to accommodate a larger cassette.

Other than that none other.
I have a thread in the Gravel section about using XPLR RD as a 2X.
Go there and read it.

Yes it can be used as 2X , I used with a WIDE FD,cause my crank had a wide spindle, but you can use it with regular FD.

Wouldn' make a difference.
Even better it will have less severe angle...

Also using the XPLR with 10-36 is Ok, even though the B screw is almost out.You can use all the gears from small and large chainrings.

You would also be able to use it with 10-33 as a 1X, or as 2X but not using the small ring after the 17t cog.
After that chain gets LOOSE.
I tried and shortened it and then was a too short when crosschaining Big-Big.

In short it's doable with only 2 cassette options.
Thanks a lot for the complete answer!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Given components are now available, would you recommend Eagle AXS (XX1/X01) or XPLR (Red) with a 1x in the front? I am considering the 10-44 for most riding (it's reasonably flat around here) or 10-50 in hillier terrain with an oval ring (likely a 40T) in the front.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Greg0rE wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 am
Given components are now available, would you recommend Eagle AXS (XX1/X01) or XPLR (Red) with a 1x in the front? I am considering the 10-44 for most riding (it's reasonably flat around here) or 10-50 in hillier terrain with an oval ring (likely a 40T) in the front.
If I was building the bike again I would still choose the eagle mullet, just make sure to change the pulleys if you want to run the XPLR cassette with an eagle chain
Attachments
298A805D-9F22-41E8-BBAA-8D89592B7282.jpeg
878DA0D9-DE87-464B-B571-CECD1FEA00B8.jpeg
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Greg0rE wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 am
Actually there's a link on page 12 for 3t blogs I posted.
Someone there mentioned that they ran an XPLR RD with Eagle AXS 10-50 cassette and chain.
If this is true, then the XPLR is clear winner.

BUT...Still couldn't adopt the 1X drivetrain.
Unless is for MTB style terrain or bike packing.

On a "Normal" gravel rides the 1X lacks many options...

Either enough speed and or enough low gear, but never 2 of them together.

So that's why I tried and now run the XPLR RD .

Run it with 10-36:10-33 and or XPLR cassette and if the thing I mentioned about Eagle cassette is true then Eagle too.

So you'll have all the options and then some more.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

gSporco wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:28 pm
e13 "Helix" is only available in 9-50... The older e13 TRS+ is available in a 9-46; however this cassette is hit or miss with shifting on Sram AXS Derailleurs.. E13 states this, as it was never intended for Sram AXS.. Some people have had success and others havent..

I have and still experiment with a e13 TRS+ 9-46 cassette here and there.. Ive tested it with multiple chains and different AXS derailleurs with mixed results. Regardless of chain and derailleur ive used I have never had smooth shifting from the 9 to the 10 tooth cog.. Its just dances in the 9 for a 15 seconds then hops up.. Not smooth at all.

I have heard that the Chinese knock off cassettes on AliExpress (9-46) work well, because their cog spacing match AXS spacing..
https://support.ethirteen.com/hc/en-us/ ... ivetrains-

I'm reviving this comment as I just bought the same cassette from StarBike. Unfortunately I'm not sure what they meant by short chain stays but mine is a 42

Wondering if anyone out there is experiencing this issue. It will be paired with an X01 AXS RD

jfranci3

by jfranci3

req110 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:13 am
Can someone compare performance of XPLR with normal cranks vs XPLR with wide cranks?

I recently built aspero with rival axs xplr rear mech (force xplr cassette and force chain) and it has 1x rival wide cranks.

If i compare it to gravel bike i had (factor ls, force xplr cassette, force chain, force short mech with garbaruk cage) and had 1x Red cranks (non-wide), mine was shifting bit better.

I think that wider and wider chainline is not always better, the chain goes to crazier angles and that can decrease the shifting performance.
FWIW, I had better performance with a slightly wider chainline 1x with the AXS XPLR 42x10-36 as you spend a lot of time in the outside cogs and the 11T and 10T cogs like a straighter shot. I didn't need to do this 11sp with the Eagle chain on the same bike. I think I'm at 47 or 48mm as my frame is hard to measure.

Normal is 45mm and Wide is 47.5mm. I'd go wide hands down (or space out a different crank)

zs0

by zs0

Are there any options to use a larger cassette than the 10-36 in a 2x (46-33 in my case) setup?

I run 46-33 Rival FD with Force RD and a 10-36 cassette. It works just fine. My only problem is that on some gravel stuff I'd prefer to have an easier gear.

Is there any way to make the XPLR 10-44 work in a 2x setup with the 2x (max 36t) RD? Or to use the XPLR RD with 10-44 in a 2x setup? Or any 3rd-party stuff that makes it possible?

markdjr

by markdjr

zs0 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:24 pm
Are there any options to use a larger cassette than the 10-36 in a 2x (46-33 in my case) setup?

I run 46-33 Rival FD with Force RD and a 10-36 cassette. It works just fine. My only problem is that on some gravel stuff I'd prefer to have an easier gear.

Is there any way to make the XPLR 10-44 work in a 2x setup with the 2x (max 36t) RD? Or to use the XPLR RD with 10-44 in a 2x setup? Or any 3rd-party stuff that makes it possible?
I'm running a 48/34 x 10-45 (Shimano) with axs 36t max RD and a wolftooth roadlink.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com