Etap AXS XPLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

For those who have the Garbaruk cage on a road/gravel derailleur--can you still use the smaller cassettes with the cage installed?

I have the XPLR der. with both 10-36 & -44. Looking to add the Garbaruk cage to allow an 10-50/52, but do not want to lose the ability to run the 10-36. Would not use the G link, just the longer cage (verified this would be enough for the 50, probably the 52). Chain compatibility is not an issue--I can swap the upper pulley and run either flattop or eagle.

I know an eagle der. can handle both 10-36 & -50, so the XPLR with a longer cage should be able to do the same, but would like to hear from anyone who has experience with this setup.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

thewoodsman wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:15 pm
For those who have the Garbaruk cage on a road/gravel derailleur--can you still use the smaller cassettes with the cage installed?

I have the XPLR der. with both 10-36 & -44. Looking to add the Garbaruk cage to allow an 10-50/52, but do not want to lose the ability to run the 10-36. Would not use the G link, just the longer cage (verified this would be enough for the 50, probably the 52). Chain compatibility is not an issue--I can swap the upper pulley and run either flattop or eagle.

I know an eagle der. can handle both 10-36 & -50, so the XPLR with a longer cage should be able to do the same, but would like to hear from anyone who has experience with this setup.
Can the eagle RD actually work well with a 10-36?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

CustomMetal wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:56 pm
thewoodsman wrote:

In my case it shifted like garbage with Eagle RD and 10-36.. Tried it with Flattop and Eagle chain.. So for me, no, it did not work
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

gSporco wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:04 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:56 pm
thewoodsman wrote:

In my case it shifted like garbage with Eagle RD and 10-36.. Tried it with Flattop and Eagle chain.. So for me, no, it did not work
That's what I thought! Eagle and XPLR cassette with eagle RD, XPLR and 10-36 cassette with XPLR RD
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

andy4g63

by andy4g63

thewoodsman wrote:

I have read almost all of the 3T blogs about gearing and hacks for SRAM AXS...
One person there mentioned, that XPLR RDworks very well with eagle 10-50 and eagle chain..with no longer cages or links. Check them out.

https://blog.3t.bike/2021/08/17808/sram ... mment-8301

I think that's the link. Read the comments, u can sign in and post a comment.
This guy Gerard Vroomen he is industry insider, bike designer, etc. Very involved and knowledgeable.

takolino

by takolino

Looks like e*thirteen has come out with a gravel specific cassette, the Helix R-12 9-45. It's a bit lighter than the 950 and the TRS 946 and guessing or hoping that the spacing is compatible with XPLR shifting. This could be the ticket for my Crux build. Using a non-XPLR cassette will open up use of other chains and chainrings.

Contemplating between Red/Force AXS with Garbaruk cage or Red/Force XPLR derailleur. Seems like either will work but guessing the XPLR is better since it's not modified and designed for 1x. Has anyone compared these two setups? How good are the Garbaruk cages? Are they lighter than the Sram cages? Also, has anyone tried the XPLR derailleurs with non-flattop chains? Anyone tried Shimano HG+ 12s chains with XPLR? TIA

gSporco

by gSporco

takolino wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:06 pm
Looks like e*thirteen has come out with a gravel specific cassette, the Helix R-12 9-45. It's a bit lighter than the 950 and the TRS 946 and guessing or hoping that the spacing is compatible with XPLR shifting. This could be the ticket for my Crux build. Using a non-XPLR cassette will open up use of other chains and chainrings.
Cant wait to get my hands on this e13 9-45! I have the old 9-46 but it doesn't shift as well as the boat anchor Xplr 10-44
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Scarpa

by Scarpa

This would be great to have a Helix R-12 9-45 - where you got this info?

andy4g63

by andy4g63

takolino wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:06 pm

Contemplating between Red/Force AXS with Garbaruk cage or Red/Force XPLR derailleur. Seems like either will work but guessing the XPLR is better since it's not modified and designed for 1x. Has anyone compared these two setups? How good are the Garbaruk cages? Are they lighter than the Sram cages? Also, has anyone tried the XPLR derailleurs with non-flattop chains? Anyone tried Shimano HG+ 12s chains with XPLR? TIA
I have. A thread in the Gravel section under my name

I installed XPLR RD with a 10-36 cassette and a wide front derailleur.
It might even work with 10-33...

Basically right now I removed the single chainring, installed 107 BCD spider and Force AXS 46/33 rings on wide crank with Rival AXS WIDE front derailleur and XPLR rear derailleur with 10-36 cassette.

Works great in a 2X configuration .

Whenever,or If decide I can remove the double ring up front install a 40 or 44t and run the XPLR 10-44 cassette in a 1 X.

Very practical, I think,

And as I mentioned earlier, some person on the 3T blogs for SRAM AXS hacks suggested that a XPLR RD works fine with Eagle AXS chain and Eagle 10-50 cassette.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Scarpa wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 pm
This would be great to have a Helix R-12 9-45 - where you got this info?
On the E13 page, although looks like to availability or official announcement yet:

https://www.ethirteen.com/collections/a ... 8788712551

req110

by req110

Can some of you confirm, whether XPLR rear mechs are able to put more tension on chain than regular road rear mechs?

Reason why i am asking is for a friend who would like to have 1x12 // 50T front and 10-44 rear... He would like to use regular road mech + garbaruk long cage. But i am afraid, that there will be lot of chainslap on hardest gears.

For that gearing i would probably use XX1 AXS rear mech.... Or XPLR rear mech? (if that one has the same feature as XX1 AXS >>> making bigger tension on chain).

Orbit Fluid may be the feature, but looking for confirmation from owners.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... anagement-
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

andy4g63

by andy4g63

req110 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:45 am
Can some of you confirm, whether XPLR rear mechs are able to put more tension on chain than regular road rear mechs?

Reason why i am asking is for a friend who would like to have 1x12 // 50T front and 10-44 rear... He would like to use regular road mech + garbaruk long cage. But i am afraid, that there will be lot of chainslap on hardest gears.

For that gearing i would probably use XX1 AXS rear mech.... Or XPLR rear mech? (if that one has the same feature as XX1 AXS >>> making bigger tension on chain).

Orbit Fluid may be the feature, but looking for confirmation from owners.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... anagement-
https://blog.3t.bike/2021/08/17808/sram ... mment-8549

Read the 3T blog above.
Also pay attention to the user there named 2V Benjamin.

He mentioned that running a eagle 10-50 cassette and chain with XPLR ,rear derailleur was not a problem, but he was running a 40t chainring.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

req110 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:45 am

I doubt the road mech would allow the top pulley clearance to fit a 44t cassette, so he'd need a road link / mech hanger extender as well. Then it still wouldn't track the cassette as well on the way down as the XPLR that's been designed to work with it from end to end.

req110

by req110

You can use short cage red/force mech with garbaruk cage with 44 cassette. Without any extension.

But that's not what I am asking.

My question is if XPLR rear mechs are able to put more tension on chain than regulat road mechs. I want to avoid chain slap on hardest gears.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

jff

by jff

req110 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:06 pm
You can use short cage red/force mech with garbaruk cage with 44 cassette. Without any extension.

But that's not what I am asking.

My question is if XPLR rear mechs are able to put more tension on chain than regulat road mechs. I want to avoid chain slap on hardest gears.
Difficult to say if the XPLR has sufficient chain tension for your purpose. XPLR derailleurs have the 'Orbit fluid clutch' mechanism just like the AXS road derailleurs. The MTB (eagle) derailleurs use a different type of clutch (based on roller bearings).
According to sram this orbit fluid clutch is sufficient for road/gravel purpose (single and double chainring)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com