Etap AXS XPLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zs0 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:24 pm

Is there any way to make the XPLR 10-44 work in a 2x setup with the 2x (max 36t) RD? Or to use the XPLR RD with 10-44 in a 2x setup? Or any 3rd-party stuff that makes it possible?

You can actually pair an XPLR RD with a road FD, but your chain will either be too long for small-small (and maybe the 3 other smallest cogs) or too short for big-big. The XPLR RD also has an offset guide pulley and the b-gap won’t be the same when switching between the small and big ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zs0

by zs0

markdjr wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:59 am
zs0 wrote:
Are there any options to use a larger cassette than the 10-36 in a 2x (46-33 in my case) setup?

I run 46-33 Rival FD with Force RD and a 10-36 cassette. It works just fine. My only problem is that on some gravel stuff I'd prefer to have an easier gear.

Is there any way to make the XPLR 10-44 work in a 2x setup with the 2x (max 36t) RD? Or to use the XPLR RD with 10-44 in a 2x setup? Or any 3rd-party stuff that makes it possible?
I'm running a 48/34 x 10-45 (Shimano) with axs 36t max RD and a wolftooth roadlink.
That sounds interesting. It'd be an ideal setup.
What chainring is that?
Do you use a 3rd-party cage for the RD? I thought that road AXS RD is only compatible with flattop chains due to the cage/pulley design? (I guess flattop chains are narrower)

zs0

by zs0

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:15 am
zs0 wrote:

You can actually pair an XPLR RD with a road FD, but your chain will either be too long for small-small (and maybe the 3 other smallest cogs) or too short for big-big. The XPLR RD also has an offset guide pulley and the b-gap won’t be the same when switching between the small and big ring.
Would it be that easy? I mean, synchro shift can sort this out to never run those combos.
Do you know how tight/loose those combos would be? I mean, would it snap the RD or something or just crappy shifting?
Can you please help me understand what would that pulley offser and b-gap thing mean in practice?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zs0 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm

Would it be that easy? I mean, synchro shift can sort this out to never run those combos.
Do you know how tight/loose those combos would be? I mean, would it snap the RD or something or just crappy shifting?
Can you please help me understand what would that pulley offser and b-gap thing mean in practice?

If I were to do this, and I wouldn’t, I’d set up a long chain and never run the last 4 cogs or so while in the small ring. The b-gap issue would result in the RD struggling to shift, especially with a somewhat slack chain.

RDY

by RDY

if there are all these issues with XPLR RD in 2x, surely better to use a standard AXS RD and Garbaruk cage .. they work in 2x.

zs0

by zs0

RDY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:31 pm
if there are all these issues with XPLR RD in 2x, surely better to use a standard AXS RD and Garbaruk cage .. they work in 2x.
What cassette does it work with in 2x? Wouldn't the chain wrap capacity an issue?

RDY

by RDY

I don't know, but I've seen at least a handful of people running them, and they didn't *seem* to have any issues. Edit: I'm sure someone was using the MTB range Garbaruk cassette with it. Others looked like SRAM.

People don't recommend Shimano road FDs with GRX RDs and bigger cassettes, but I'm running DA mechanical FD and GRX8 RD with 50-34 and 11/40. It works flawlessly. Is the SRAM problem theoretical or actual?

markdjr

by markdjr

zs0 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 pm
markdjr wrote:
zs0 wrote:
Are there any options to use a larger cassette than the 10-36 in a 2x (46-33 in my case) setup?

I run 46-33 Rival FD with Force RD and a 10-36 cassette. It works just fine. My only problem is that on some gravel stuff I'd prefer to have an easier gear.

I'm running a 48/34 x 10-45 (Shimano) with axs 36t max RD and a wolftooth roadlink.
What chainring is that?
Do you use a 3rd-party cage for the RD? I thought that road AXS RD is only compatible with flattop chains due to the cage/pulley design? (I guess flattop chains are narrower)
I do use the Ceramicspeed OSPW on the AXS RD, so running a Shimano chain on Shimano cassette. I use Carbon-Ti chainrings but I believe Praxis would also work.

zs0

by zs0

RDY wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:15 pm
I don't know, but I've seen at least a handful of people running them, and they didn't *seem* to have any issues. Edit: I'm sure someone was using the MTB range Garbaruk cassette with it. Others looked like SRAM.

People don't recommend Shimano road FDs with GRX RDs and bigger cassettes, but I'm running DA mechanical FD and GRX8 RD with 50-34 and 11/40. It works flawlessly. Is the SRAM problem theoretical or actual?
It's actual as I have this setup: Rival FD with Rival 46/33 PM crankset + Force RD 10-36. I like the Rival front due to the cheap powermeter option. Not sure if it's worth to swap the whole drivetrain for this, but changing cassette/cage/RD might be worth it.

zs0

by zs0

markdjr wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:21 am
zs0 wrote:
markdjr wrote:
zs0 wrote:

What chainring is that?
I do use the Ceramicspeed OSPW on the AXS RD, so running a Shimano chain on Shimano cassette. I use Carbon-Ti chainrings but I believe Praxis would also work.
Interesting. Is the shifting good? Can you run any combos (big-big/small-small)? The AXS RD on paper has 26 teeth chain wrap capacity, so I'm not really sure how the math works here. I mean, if it works then it's great, but on paper it seems to be way out of the capacity of the RD.

Given this setup, shouldn't just swapping the cassette to a 10-44 XPLR one and adding a roadlink work? And keeping the 46-33 on the front.

markdjr

by markdjr

zs0 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:46 am
markdjr wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:21 am
zs0 wrote:
markdjr wrote:

What chainring is that?
Interesting. Is the shifting good? Can you run any combos (big-big/small-small)? The AXS RD on paper has 26 teeth chain wrap capacity, so I'm not really sure how the math works here. I mean, if it works then it's great, but on paper it seems to be way out of the capacity of the RD.

Given this setup, shouldn't just swapping the cassette to a 10-44 XPLR one and adding a roadlink work? And keeping the 46-33 on the front.
Shifting is good enough, doesn't miss shifts or hang up regularly. I can run big/big (but don't obviously), same for small/small, too much slack. Definitely exceeding SRAM capacity, but it works for me and gives me the range I want for any of the riding I may encounter.

You could use 10-44 XPLR, my experience is Shimano cassette shifts way better, so I run XTR 10-45.

stjepan

by stjepan

Hi,
I need a bit of help with my XPLR setup. Currently I'm running 10-44 cassette with 40t chain ring, but I'm considering changing the cassette to 10-36 for tighter spacing (road riding). Do I need to pay attention to something else other than the b gap? Can I keep the same chain, or should I have a second one sized differently?
Thanks!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Chain length. You might need two chains if you're going back and forth.

36t is about the smallest cassette that RD will run, so just start by backing the b-tension screw all the way out.

stjepan

by stjepan

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:02 pm
Chain length. You might need two chains if you're going back and forth.

36t is about the smallest cassette that RD will run, so just start by backing the b-tension screw all the way out.
Yes, I have a second chain ready, but was wondering if I could get by just with the current one I'm using with the 10-44 cassette. If not, by how much should I shorten the new chain?
Intention is to have my road wheels equiped with 10-36 cassette and gravel wheels with the 10-44.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Just set the B-screw according to SRAM manual, then check the chain slack at the smallest cog. If there is no slack, and the shifting is good, you're good to go. Otherwise, cut chain according to SRAM manual.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10