Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

neeb wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:45 pm
I honestly don't get why everyone wants wireless. The only advantage is ease of installation. Cables are hidden when installed, and I've never used any sort of wireless anything that doesn't at least occasionally have connection problems or delays.
Cables and connectors occasionally break and then the hunt for what part exactly is down is blind guesswork. An occasional missed button press would be much less annoying (but in reality those licks are quite reliable, this is not like old Bluetooth were everything can talk to everythingbelse in theory but on reality it never works)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensNL

by JensNL

ParisCarbon wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:05 pm
Roel W wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:37 pm
camapgnolo also posted a mystery image of a new Hyperon wheelset yesterday on Instagram.

Anymore news about the official release moment?
I suppose today or tomorrow with the first parts in action in Saturday's Milan - San Remo race.
Here ya go

https://www.campagnolo.com/CA/en/Wheels/hyperon_ultra
interesting, available with N3W freewheel body. That is certainly not for the combination of these wheels with EKAR. New 12 speed WRL group with 10 cog confirmed in this way?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

JensNL wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:29 pm
interesting, available with N3W freewheel body. That is certainly not for the combination of these wheels with EKAR. New 12 speed WRL group with 10 cog confirmed in this way?
More a case of phasing out the refular ED freehub as it is unnecessary with N3W.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

neeb wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:45 pm
I honestly don't get why everyone wants wireless. The only advantage is ease of installation. Cables are hidden when installed, and I've never used any sort of wireless anything that doesn't at least occasionally have connection problems or delays.

And yet everyone has gone wireless, at least between the shifters and derailleurs.

One eTap/AXS, I’ve literally never had an issue with interference, but I have repeatedly been around Di2 connector issues at the local very bumpy road races. If you ask any AXS owner, I’d bet none will say they’ve had interference issues.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

JensNL wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Roel W wrote:
camapgnolo also posted a mystery image of a new Hyperon wheelset yesterday on Instagram.

I suppose today or tomorrow with the first parts in action in Saturday's Milan - San Remo race.
Here ya go

Haven't they been shipping wheels like this for a while now, with a two part body that is backwards compatible?

https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/next_3_ways

MasterBean

by MasterBean

RDY wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Roel W wrote:

Here ya go

21mm internal, 26.7mm external. So 23-25mm tire users need only apply (again).
I might get a pair and fit some 32mm GP5000 S TR. Perfect.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:43 pm
JensNL wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Roel W wrote:

Here ya go

Haven't they been shipping wheels like this for a while now, with a two part body that is backwards compatible?

From what I understand any of the new wheels (Hyperon, WTO Ultras, probably Levantes) the drive ring is 33mm vs 30mm on any of the older wheels... just use the provided adapter and you can now use Ekar cassette where the bottom group of cogs completes the freehub body, or put on supplied adapter and install your 11-12 block and off ya go..

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:43 pm

Exactly. N3W is designed to cover prety much any cassette Campag have made going back to 9 speed, I think. When they released the Shamal Carbon it was not offered with a normal ED body, only N3W. These Hyperon Ultra wheels have a lightened version of N3W by the looks of it. Nothing to read into it at all.

GaBa

by GaBa

Can we continue this debate in its topic? Just so not to mix this one that is related to groupsets with debate on wheels.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=172180

morrisond

by morrisond

For those of us who have Existing 12SP cranks (50/34 or Chorus 48/32) and 11/29 cassettes there should be no reason these new wireless shifters and derailleurs don't work.

That being said - what would you really gain? One other little tidbit I heard was that shifting was no faster than existing EPS, which might be faster than SRAM wireless but maybe not Shimano?

I have a brand new Record 12 Hydro Group sitting in boxes so I'm trying to decide what to do.

GaBa

by GaBa

Get another one to have stock well in the future 😁

jih

by jih

morrisond wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:09 pm
I have a brand new Record 12 Hydro Group sitting in boxes so I'm trying to decide what to do.
Guess question is, how much do wires bother you? The "old" one is still as awesome as it was a week ago.

If I were buying today I'd buy wireless and be happy for the easier install. If I already had a wired group, it's such a small improvement once fitted that I'd just ride what I already have.

morrisond

by morrisond

jih wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:44 pm
morrisond wrote:
Guess question is, how much do wires bother you? The "old" one is still as awesome as it was a week ago.

If I were buying today I'd buy wireless and be happy for the easier install. If I already had a wired group, it's such a small improvement once fitted that I'd just ride what I already have.
It's Record Mechanical Hydro - not Super Record EPS

AJS914

by AJS914

I was looking at a Tarmac SL7 for my next frame and even though it will accomodate mechanical shifting, I'm not confident in getting Campagnolo to work perfectly though all the twists and turns of the stem. I struggled with cable drag on 11 speed routing through some 3T handlbars. I finally just taped the cables under the bars old school and got my drivetrain to shift perfectly.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

morrisond wrote:
For those of us who have Existing 12SP cranks (50/34 or Chorus 48/32) and 11/29 cassettes there should be no reason these new wireless shifters and derailleurs don't work.

That being said - what would you really gain? One other little tidbit I heard was that shifting was no faster than existing EPS, which might be faster than SRAM wireless but maybe not Shimano?

I really don't think in general with any technology there's much point in upgrading incremental versions. So maybe the next update would be worthwhile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com