Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

But if Campagnolo is fishing for a larger sales groupset, it might not be or only be the top tier, or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

You'd have to hope that SR WRL will only be the first of a new line of groupsets, no? With such changes as the ones being trailed, it looks like their new paradigm going forward. I do like a good paradigm.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 pm
This groupset is likely well outside of my budget (unless they offer a Chorus-level version at some point, which seems unlikely), so this is largely academic, but is anyone else sad about the apparent demise of the thumb shifter? I kind of feel like it won't be definitively Campagnolo without it...
As I mentioned above it's a weird one because if you've been a Campag user for decades like me, your choice now is:

- Get used to SRAM shifting, have wireless and a lower price
- Get used to Shimano, have semi wireless and a lower price
- Get used to new Campag shifting, have wireless and a crazy price

That old thing of 'I have to have Campagnolo because I'm so used to the shifting' is completely gone. So why stick with Campagnolo? All they have left is that they have the highest prices and (arguably) the highest quality, and the history/status of the name, but most people nowadays won't react to a Campag bike with 'nice choice!' or 'oooh you are sophisticated!'. It's more likely 'you are wasting your money' or 'what's Campagnolo?' or 'why are you not using Shimano?'.

neeb

by neeb

Another choice is just to stick with what you have (in my case 11sp EPS) as long as it still works and parts are available either from mainstream channels or the grey / used market.

morrisond

by morrisond

BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:14 pm
raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 pm
This groupset is likely well outside of my budget (unless they offer a Chorus-level version at some point, which seems unlikely), so this is largely academic, but is anyone else sad about the apparent demise of the thumb shifter? I kind of feel like it won't be definitively Campagnolo without it...
As I mentioned above it's a weird one because if you've been a Campag user for decades like me, your choice now is:

- Get used to SRAM shifting, have wireless and a lower price
- Get used to Shimano, have semi wireless and a lower price
- Get used to new Campag shifting, have wireless and a crazy price

That old thing of 'I have to have Campagnolo because I'm so used to the shifting' is completely gone. So why stick with Campagnolo? All they have left is that they have the highest prices and (arguably) the highest quality, and the history/status of the name, but most people nowadays won't react to a Campag bike with 'nice choice!' or 'oooh you are sophisticated!'. It's more likely 'you are wasting your money' or 'what's Campagnolo?' or 'why are you not using Shimano?'.
I had been a die hard Campy user for years. I put Rival AXS Mullet on my winter/gravel bike. It's pretty good and a fraction of the price. Just no ShimaNO for me - I like to be a little different.

flying

by flying

neeb wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:35 pm
Another choice is just to stick with what you have (in my case 11sp EPS) as long as it still works and parts are available either from mainstream channels or the grey / used market.
^^^I think the same^^^ Truth is we use to change groups just because something was newer or slightly lighter
These days everything is insanely priced & usually heavier :roll:

BenCousins

by BenCousins

neeb wrote:
When I talk about 'choice' I mean 'choice if you want/need a new groupset'.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

neeb wrote:
Agree, owning 2 bikes with 11s EPS, my TT and an SL5, the others with EPS 12, the 11s worries me a little as parts like derailleurs/shifters are very hard to come by.. looking for a backup road 11s V3 dti in case, and I can not for the life of me find one.. is Campagnolo even producing them anymore, alot of places I see say "pre order" but alot of these sites dont even update their stock anymore.. They adapted the V4 battery style to a V3 version, but then never made the V4 road dti backwards compatible to the 11s..my understanding was that the V4 tt dti was backwards compatible to the 11s with a V3 style battery...

neeb

by neeb

ParisCarbon wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:17 pm
neeb wrote:
Agree, owning 2 bikes with 11s EPS, my TT and an SL5, the others with EPS 12, the 11s worries me a little as parts like derailleurs/shifters are very hard to come by.. looking for a backup road 11s V3 dti in case, and I can not for the life of me find one.. is Campagnolo even producing them anymore, alot of places I see say "pre order" but alot of these sites dont even update their stock anymore.. They adapted the V4 battery style to a V3 version, but then never made the V4 road dti backwards compatible to the 11s..my understanding was that the V4 tt dti was backwards compatible to the 11s with a V3 style battery...
Have you tried contacting a Campagnolo approved service centre / Pro Shop? Often they'll be able to order stuff in that isn't in stock anywhere online.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

flying wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:26 pm
neeb wrote:
^^^I think the same^^^ Truth is we use to change groups just because something was newer or slightly lighter
These days everything is insanely priced & usually heavier :roll:
Disc groupsets are getting heavier over time?

usr

by usr

BenCousins wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:14 pm
That old thing of 'I have to have Campagnolo because I'm so used to the shifting' is completely gone. So why stick with Campagnolo? All they have left is that they have the highest prices
The thing is, as long as it's only targeting SR "have the highest prices" will actually be enough. Most of the "because of the levers" happens at lower price points already. They won't really notice that loss before they try to trickle down WRL. And before, mechanical will already suffer from losing the SR halo effect because SR is so different, so they won'teven understand that the lever change caused lower sales: "the thumb shifters were even less popular, the market just does not want a non-expensive Campagnolo, yeah, we're that good!"

AJS914

by AJS914

I wonder if current mechanical is getting refreshed/replaced. I've seen Chorus rear derailleurs on sale for $120 in a few places. Also front derailleurs for $65.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

I am thankful for some comments about the disappearance of the palnaca of lowering cogs.....really George?? :twisted:

let's be serious, said lever can be comfortable or easy to reach from the lower part of the handlebar.....what happens when you get caught in the shifters? in Shimano/Sram, you only have to move a finger even in the little finger even if you are gripped in an aero position....in the Campagnolo it is not so easy or so comfortable.........

BenCousins

by BenCousins

I think all the talk about shifting efficiency is moot. Nobody choses Campag because it's efficient. It's an emotional choice or habit. Effciency is for Shimano users.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Campy parts seem to last longer but that may be due to better lubricants