Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Also no titanium in the new cassette

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:22 pm
Also no titanium in the new cassette
No titanium in SR12 either. 11 speed was last cassette with Ti cogs.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

NickB

by NickB

Berzin1 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:37 am
Five thousand dollar groupset, no power meter. 300-plus dollar cassette, thumb shifter replaced by a new system that is absolutely horrid. And no 13-speed.

And as if all that wasn't enough, really lukewarm initial reviews. I don't understand where this is going, but seeing it happen in real time is just depressing.

Yes, I know I don't have to purchase it if I don't want to. That's not the point of this post. Can't wait for the next ludicrous advancement, like 1X chainrings. Oh, they're here already...
"Depressing" Agreed in full. I will add mental.
Maybe this is all just for the peleton next year?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

If the lower or upper paddles on the shifters could be swapped for something that could be differentiated from a tactile sense...that would be awesome...e.g. solid dimpled lower paddle but oem upper paddle.

usr

by usr

solarider wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:48 am

Be the brand that stands for low friction. Whether it is marketing hype or not, the use of Cult bearings, larger cogs and oversized pulleys would at least have given them another advantage over the other 2 who seem happy to leave that benefit to aftermarket companies. Instead they have downgraded the bearings, introduced bushings and made the cogs smaller.
Wow, that might have actually worked, and tied in well with recent history (known for good bearings, and the chains are also quite well-respected). In interviews and some second-hand statements in this thread it sounds as if they are extremely keen on being perceived as progressive and not old-school, and a huge lower pulley could be the perfect no-cost solution to that "problem". And they objectively work, even if the difference might be small, less pulley rotations per kilometer and less chain bolt rotation per pass. Shaving friction as a substitute for the somewhat out of fashion shaving of grams.

Fully agree with the rest of your post, just pointing out this one (expect maybe the perceived importance of pros, I believe that they very much see themselves as the manufacturer pros should ride, they are just increasingly failing to meet their expectations - and if only one team management person mentioned that traditional campag shifting maklde it harder for the team to recruit a rider they wanted I could easily imagine massive effect at a Campagnolo struggling to find teams willing to pick their gear)

Detachable thumbie could have appeased pro riders just fine (and could have been advertised as a nod to both weightweenism an aeroism by claiming that climbers and soloists prefer going without while some sprinters prefer to keep it), either with the twin buttons always in place or with the thumb-less configuration exclusively in that "left and right for switching rings" (no idea how popular that actually is)

guyc

by guyc

NickB wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:27 pm
Berzin1 wrote:
Five thousand dollar groupset, no power meter. 300-plus dollar cassette, thumb shifter replaced by a new system that is absolutely horrid. And no 13-speed.

And as if all that wasn't enough, really lukewarm initial reviews. I don't understand where this is going, but seeing it happen in real time is just depressing.

Yes, I know I don't have to purchase it if I don't want to. That's not the point of this post. Can't wait for the next ludicrous advancement, like 1X chainrings. Oh, they're here already...
They only have one WT team though - and that's AG2R so hardly the highest-profile anyway.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Why is Campy catering to the pros if his garbage is what they actually want? They have 1 team and otherwise a whole bunch of deep pocketed enthusiasts who are now alienated by what could be one of their most significant product failures ever.

If wireless meant looking and functioning poorly, they should have gone wired with the highest end everything, CULT, OSPW and made it gorgeous.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

rudye9mr wrote:
If the lower or upper paddles on the shifters could be swapped for something that could be differentiated from a tactile sense...that would be awesome...e.g. solid dimpled lower paddle but oem upper paddle.
Have you even bothered to look at the photos of the new shifter paddles? The top one is smaller and has multiple ridges, while the bottom is larger and almost flat. Pretty easy to tell the difference from feel alone.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

guyc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:29 pm
NickB wrote:
Berzin1 wrote:

They only have one WT team though - and that's AG2R so hardly the highest-profile anyway.
I mentioned it in the Pro thread, but rumours are AG2R are going Van Rysel next year, so probably won't retain Campagnolo. Lotto-Dstny to BMC potentially? Do they have deep enough pockets for switching to Campagnolo too?

guyc

by guyc

MichaelK wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:36 pm

I mentioned it in the Pro thread, but rumours are AG2R are going Van Rysel next year, so probably won't retain Campagnolo. Lotto-Dstny to BMC potentially? Do they have deep enough pockets for switching to Campagnolo too?

Ah I missed that - could be no Campg teams in the WT then. Jeez.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

patchandscruff wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 12:56 pm
GCN got the exclusive ride review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8QIeBy-Z0
No they didn't. Every major media outlet has ridden and reviewed it.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

patchandscruff wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:35 pm
Have you even bothered to look at the photos of the new shifter paddles? The top one is smaller and has multiple ridges, while the bottom is larger and almost flat. Pretty easy to tell the difference from feel alone.
You may think that, but at least a couple of people who've actually ridden it have said this was not the case for them.

Yoln

by Yoln

Berzin1 wrote:

Exactly my feeling.

This is the first time I don't "Want" a major campy release. Remember the SR12 launch in 2019, I was drooling, it was the first 12 speed, it was beautiful. Ekar? I was so excited I was designing a new gravel bike the day after the release.

This time not only did they not innovate in any way, let's be honest, there is zero innovation, not a single one, merely catching up to competitors.

But actually the change the hood shape (first reviews from bikeradar and bikerumour seem to not like the new shape) and changed the thumb button, which were both differentiators and key selling points (at least for me). The last thing that remains is the quality of campy disc brake, but Sram and Shimano are very close now.

My plan was to build a new SR12 baso diamanté, but I'm afraid it'll be a dura-ace Italian mutt...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Yoln

by Yoln

guyc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:39 pm
MichaelK wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:36 pm

Ah I missed that - could be no Campg teams in the WT then. Jeez.
Why would going to Van Rysel mean abandoning Campy?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

NickB

by NickB

I meant maybe they want back into the pro scene next year?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com