Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Roel W wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:17 am
Vespasianus wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:04 pm
I don't think they want that. Potenza was a good choice but having two 11 speeds groups was confusing, even if one was rim brake only and one had a disc brake option. If you look at the current price structure, Chorus has moved a bit lower and is now the entry level Camapgnolo group and in that regard, is very competative. Campagnolo will not compete at the low end, and they should not. OEM will go to the cheaper chinese groupsets that are coming, not to Campag.
It depends how you define entry level.
A Campagnolo Chorus disc mechanical groupset (12-speed) is about 1400€
A Shimano disc R8000 Ultegra (11-speed) groupset is about 890€ (https://www.mantel.com/be/shimano-r8020 ... ec[]=18752).
Ultegra is considered second best. But still abour 1/3 cheaper as Campagnolo 'entry level'.
Although I do love Camapgnolo I would spend my money on Ultegra.
Vespasianus wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:04 pm
The lower priced EPS versions that I have tried (Athena 11 speed) have been dissapointing. If they do offer up another, non mechanical group, it should at least be as good if not better than the competetion. Shimano di2 shifts fast in the rear (as good as any top end mechanical system) and the front is just automatic- much better than any mechanical system. But I don't think we will ever see that. I could see a Record WPS but not a chorus.
I disagree.
I have a Athena 2010 groupset, the first affordable 11-speed groupset on the market. Internals of the Athena 2010 Ergopower are Record (check the part numbers in the spare parts catalogue).
This groupset has skeleton brakes, UltraTorque cranckset, Ultrashift Ergopowers,....and still works flawless.

But indeed let's keep the focus on 2023.
Rumors about the new Super Record WRL are quit clear. But will there be other news as well? Upgrade of mechanical groupsets? New gravel groupset?
I am talking about the eps Athena group. Never rode the mechanical version nor have I ridden an eps Super Record.

But for 2023, Camapag needs to do something different. EKAR is different. EPS is not different and might be inferior to the competition. They can't afford to go low. Chorus is their entry level road bike groupset. Centaur is nice - have it on a bike as well - but as it is supposed to compete with Shimano 105, it shifts like Shimano 105.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I don’t think 2022 EPS is inferior to any other electronic drivetrain in any possible way. Quite the opposite, frankly. It works at a higher voltage/lower current, it has a more robust and precise servo based on planetaries + leadscrew, it has a better position control system based on a resolver. And therefore it costs, but it will not brick, which can’t be said of others. It shifts amazing.

It might be overengineering if you don’t want your gear to last decades, that I will concede.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

XCProMD wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:05 pm
I don’t think 2022 EPS is inferior to any other electronic drivetrain in any possible way. Quite the opposite, frankly. It works at a higher voltage/lower current, it has a more robust and precise servo based on planetaries + leadscrew, it has a better position control system based on a resolver. And therefore it costs, but it will not brick, which can’t be said of others. It shifts amazing.

It might be overengineering if you don’t want your gear to last decades, that I will concede.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Is the new electronic system supposed to be similar?
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

Matte86

by Matte86

What do you guys think of the rumored new 45-29 offer? Do you think they keep the 110bdc? Would it be possible to fit a SRM 9 on it?
Thinking of getting it for my gravel rig

satanas

by satanas

^ The maximum BCD to fit a 29T ring assuming normal chainring bolts is ~94mm. I'd personally be very surprised if Campag don't move to new, incompatible-with-everything-else BCDs for the new stuff; they've done it often enough before.

Matte86

by Matte86

That’s true.. I still hope in some way I’m be able to fit the SRM crank arms
Thanks

morrisond

by morrisond

Matte86 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:35 pm
That’s true.. I still hope in some way I’m be able to fit the SRM crank arms
Thanks
Is it a whole crank? If yes and it works with 12sp Chain then you should be fine. What rings are on it? A 46/30 is close enough.

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks for your reply

At the moment I have it as 1x 44t single chainrings from Carbon Ti.. it’s 1 month old, so I guess it’s 12s compatible.. bought directly from SRM..
As it’s my first foray into gravel I didn’t know what to expect so I started with a 1x, but it’s not my thing so I’d like to go back to 2x while keeping such cranks
What do you think?

satanas

by satanas

@Matte86: I haven't seen it mentioned what cranks/spider pattern you have now, but if they're either standard 110 BCD 5 arm (not Campag!), or 110 BCD 4 arm asymmetric (a la Shimano) there are 46x30 sets that might fit - try searching for bikingreen on ebay, or Absolute Black if you'd prefer oval on 4 arm cranks.

These use non-standard (smaller diameter) bolts, and bikingreen at least moves the chainline inboard ~2mm to get chain-to-spider clearance. They may or may not clear with power meter spiders. Othewise, the smallest 110 BCD inner that should fit any crank is 33T, available (from TA and others) to fit 4 or 5 arm cranks. If you're surviving with 44T now, 33 or 34T should be a doddle!

Matte86

by Matte86

satanas wrote:@Matte86: I haven't seen it mentioned what cranks/spider pattern you have now, but if they're either standard 110 BCD 5 arm (not Campag!), or 110 BCD 4 arm asymmetric (a la Shimano) there are 46x30 sets that might fit - try searching for bikingreen on ebay, or Absolute Black if you'd prefer oval on 4 arm cranks.

These use non-standard (smaller diameter) bolts, and bikingreen at least moves the chainline inboard ~2mm to get chain-to-spider clearance. They may or may not clear with power meter spiders. Othewise, the smallest 110 BCD inner that should fit any crank is 33T, available (from TA and others) to fit 4 or 5 arm cranks. If you're surviving with 44T now, 33 or 34T should be a doddle!
Thanks for your reply!
So I have the Srm origin carbon PM 110/110mm 4bolts, 4 arms, 145,5 Q factor, 30mm axle
It can have a DA9200 lid to fit the new 12s
It can be used with the current campagnolo offering with (I think) third parties chainrings.
46x30 would be perfect!
Now I’m on Sram red AXS 44t front - 10-44 in back meaning a 28.43 gear inches / 2.27 meters of development.. and that’s too much for my riding
I’m afraid a 33 front - 36 in back 26.06 / 2.08 wouldn’t suffice either.. that’s why I was / am looking for smaller gears
One option is going with Classified hub, but the all friction saga has put me off a bit

g00se

by g00se

New patent images!
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 09-43-06.png
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 09-40-48.png
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 09-39-41.png
Screenshot from 2023-04-01 09-38-30.png

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Let's see how it looks in person, but those shapes look pretty!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

I would have expected at least a direct mount derailleur hanger.