Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

Tullio Campagnolo must be rolling in his grave.it is the anti thesis of everything campagnolo believed in. the rear derailleur is a abomination. sram's fat italian cousin. more gravel than road groupset.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

caballero

by caballero

Not looking the best. Especially the rear mech...
Attachments
A2759D0A-698A-4232-BD4F-21B4E12E3EB7.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

1pm today ImageImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:1pm today ImageImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12
Why do Campag insist on partnering with plastic Italian brands like Pinarello instead of promoting brands that make at least some of their range in Europe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solarider

by solarider

Why do Campag insist on partnering with plastic Italian brands like Pinarello instead of promoting brands that make at least some of their range in Europe?
Because Campagnolo have always marketed themselves almost exclusively at the road racing market which is dominated by plastic brands made in Taiwanese megafactories rather than artisan brands which sadly have long disappeared from the pro peleton. Me personally, I only ride metal bikes but I am mindful that I am very much in the afficionado minority these days. My club run and local roads are dominated by less-than-aero MAMILS riding very aero plastic bikes. I now look like 'one of those old men' that I used to ride with back in the day (and having just read my comment back, I also sound like one!). Given that BMC (an EU'ish brand) are currently the only bikes in the pro peleton equipped with Campagnolo and the big team riding Pinarello are on Shimano, I am somewhat surprised that they don't push that connection more, but I guess Pinarello are the most successful 'Italian' brand of recent years.

Not long to wait now, but from the Passoni shot the rear mech looks very similar to the FSA product.

I have been waiting for this one to maybe prompt my move back to Campagnolo after a few years in the wilderness but from a distance it doesn't look like a game changer. Feels like all of the hype and expectation that Campagnolo accidentally heap on their launches by keeping theirs genuinely under wraps (vs the staged 'spy shots' from other brands) will always lead to an element of disappointment.

With new Dura Ace, Ultegra and Force (and presumably Red not too far away) it really feels like we are nearing perfection in terms of derailleur and chain based groupsets. Gone are the days of step changes. Seems like a refresh and incremental smaller improvements are now the order of the day. Ultimately it is still a chain being forced across cogs being braked by friction. How many cogs, what is used to force the chain, where the friction comes from have all become a bit meh.
Last edited by solarider on Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

jlok

by jlok

solarider wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 am
Because Campagnolo have always marketed themselves almost exlcusively at the road racing market which is dominated by plastic brands made in Taiwanese megafactories rather than artisan brands which sadly have long disappeared from the pro peleton. Me personally, I only ride metal bikes but I am mindful that I am very much in the afficionado minority these days. My club run and local roads are dominated by less-than-aero MAMILS riding very aero plastic bikes. I now look like 'one of those old men' that I used to ride with back in the day (and having just read my comment back, I also sound like one!). Given that BMC (an EU'ish brand) are currently the only bikes in the pro peleton equipped with Campagnolo and the big teams riding Pinarello are on Shimano, I am somewhat surprised that they don't push that connection more, but I guess Pinarello are the most successful 'Italian' brand of recent years.

Not long to wait now, but from the Passoni shot the rear mech looks very similar to the FSA product.

I have been waiting for this one to maybe prompt my move back to Campagnolo after a few years in the wilderness but from a distance it doesn't look like a game changer.

With new Dura Ace, Ultegra and Force (and presumably Red not too far away) it really feels like we are nearing perfection in terms of derailleur and chain based groupsets. Gone are the days of step changes. Seems like a refresh and incremental smaller improvements are now the order of the day.
I share similar sentiment. Was excited to learn about Campy enter the wireless race with the lowest weight but I might still stay with SRAM AXS due to the look. I hope I'm wrong and the official PR shots would do the WRL justice.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Dov

by Dov

spartan wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:17 am
sram's fat italian cousin. more gravel than road groupset.
Harsh but fair.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

robertbb

by robertbb

I'd hate to be Campy with all the whinging going on here and elsewhere.

If Campy went full wireless: "Look at those bulky derailleurs, Campy gonna die!"
If Campy went internal battery: "Not even wireless, Campy's gonna die!"
If Campy releases a rim brake option: Campy's relying on its heritage and old men on Steel bikes... Campy's gonna die!
If Campy doesn't release a rim brake option: Campy's not catering to its heritage, Tullio would be spewing, Campy's gonna die!"
If Campy stuck with traditional chainring sizes and 11t cogs: "They have no 2x gravel group, Campy's gonna die!"
If Campy went with smaller rings and 10t cogs: "They're so inefficient, Campy's gonna die!" bonus response: "Ermagherd, gravel"
If Campy stuck with thumb shifter: "I need to move my wrists to shift, it's so unergonomic"
If Campy ditch the thumb shifter: "Campy's lost its identity!" see also "Tullio would be spewing"

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

robertbb wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am

If Campy went full wireless: "Look at those bulky derailleurs, Campy gonna die!"
If Campy releases a rim brake option: Campy's relying on its heritage and old men on Steel bikes... Campy's gonna die!
If Campy doesn't release a rim brake option: Campy's not catering to its heritage, Tullio would be spewing, Campy's gonna die!"
If Campy stuck with traditional chainring sizes and 11t cogs: "They have no 2x gravel group, Campy's gonna die!"
If Campy went with smaller rings and 10t cogs: "They're so inefficient, Campy's gonna die!" bonus response: "Ermagherd, gravel"
If Campy stuck with thumb shifter: "I need to move my wrists to shift, it's so unergonomic"
If Campy ditch the thumb shifter: "Campy's lost its identity!" see also "Tullio would be spewing"
🎯 It's so stupid.
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:59 am
1pm today ImageImageImage

Basso Diamante eps 12
I like the look of that shifter.....the flesh colored shorts - not so much😆
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

solarider

by solarider

One thing I admire about Campagnolo is their apparent total disregard for internet forums:

'We will launch what we want, when we want to, and we'll tell you about it when we are ready. We will always be considered and true to our values.'

Good for them. Good brands know what they are about and whilst they are consumer-centric they are also self-aware enough to know that they aren't for everyone. Being Marmite is ultimately better than being Blancmange and it is precisely why Campagnolo has the most fanatical fans (and haters). I don't see too many SRAM or Shimano tattoos, but there are definitely a few winged wheels about the place such is the passion that the brand engenders.
Last edited by solarider on Tue May 30, 2023 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea not excited about a frontal shot of those

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Sanchpanza

by Sanchpanza

robertbb wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:11 am

Nail on head.... in fact for all the " cool kids" who moved to shimano and SRAM, the irony is they wanted to be different and now.... well not so much. The artisans in this game, the rock and roll kids, who literally dont give 2 %hits about social media, influencers, Youtube, etc etc...they are not trying to pusude peope, they just present their product, they know it better........ its beautiful, its hand made, its light, it doesnt break......wont be long now until everyone rushes back because "some sheep goes baaaaaaaa, and the rest follow" .....each to their own, and thats just the way I like it....

ciaranpark

by ciaranpark

Lots of shots in the latest app release

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o.mycampy3

Looks fugly, seems to have an auto wake feature when you move the bike

morrisond

by morrisond

caballero wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 am
Not looking the best. Especially the rear mech...
The RD is massive. It reminds me of my only non-campy group set - Mullet 1x on my gravel bike with Eagle AXS RD.

My Road bike may be sticking with good old (and prettiest) 2nd gen 11SP SR. The FD/RD appears to have 30% of the volume = less drag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com