Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I guess we needed a rumor mill so that Campagnolo doesn't get left in the dust to a Di2 thread that is turning into a 10 part multi series of novelas.

I suspect we will see some updates rounding out a line before we see an actual new groupset this year. Vicenza has their hands full as it is I take it producing past and current orders 24 hours a day.

Also, the tubular deals to be had out there with that wheel lines days numbered most likely ... I will forever love Bora tubulars.
Just ride ..

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Miller wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:52 pm
Why does this thread even exist in the first place?
It asks for rumors that don't exist...
Have you by any chance glanced at the next gen di2 thread?
Yes. While there is a lot of speculation, the system is sure to be released this year, and bikes equipped with DA 9200 are being ordered by dealers already, set to arrive this June.
For this thread, we just have a guy asking: "are there rumors?" And the only correct answer is "no."
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GS100

by GS100

smokva wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 pm
tomato wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm
I just switched to 52/36 and an 11-32 on 11 speed. I needed the 52x11 because 50x12 wasn't cutting it and I needed the 32. I was also getting tired of compact - I never loved riding around in a 50 almost all the time.
What's the problem with riding on the 50 tooth chain ring all the time?
Just my 2 cents...it really depends in what kind of shape you are. Once, long, long ago...I was slim, trained alot and in good shape...I used 53-39 and 11(or12?)-25 and on flats I had perfect chainline most of the time, being somewhere arround middle cogs. Now, 2 kids and 30 kilos later I ride 50-34 and 12-30 and my chainline is not perfect on flats, I tend to be slightly on the left side of cassete, meaning my chainline would be total wrong if I stayed on what I had before.
My opinion is that you should always use cobination of chainrings and cassetes which give you the best possible chainline most of the time...thats when everything works best and lasts longest.

Some of my friends say that they dont like compact because there is 16 tooth difference when going from big 50 to small 34 chainring, and that it is too much so they always have to shift few gears up on the rear...and that it is not the case with standard 53-39 where this difference is "only" 14. I must say I have never had similar feeling, and ususally these opinions came from the slowest riders in the buch who are biggest philosophers at the same time.

Anyway...I have tried everything standard 53-39, semi compact 52-36, compact 50-34 and I can ride them all and they all feel the same...the only difference is how straight my chain will be most of the time.
Agree with that 'chainline' philosophy. I dislike the extremes in any front ring combo and 11t just wears too quick for me and too noisy, I can't imagine what 9t and 10t would be like, though perhaps the latest 12/13 speeds are designed better for the extremes. I'm quite happy with 52/12 and 53/12 being the max, and 39t is a genuinely useful small ring. I found I was hardly ever using the 34t in a compact set up, and the 16t drop is definately more noticable than 13 or 14 and can hamper rhythm and cadence.

Note I don't ride up mountains and on rolling terrain my priority is always to keep an efficient cadence, rhythm and chainline. Other more adventurous mountain-dwellers will need a bigger range and that's fine YMMV.

On the Campy rumours/ developments - not heard any but I would have thought Chorus 12 EPS to come, then an EPS EKAR would be really nice to have - the EPS system in 11s at least is probably over-specified in terms of it's power, robustness and weather resistance, and I bet with a little additional protection to outer parts/ a bit less 'bling' finish it'd be awesome on gravel. I guess the direction eventually is 1X and though I'm yet to be sold on it for my road riding, it would be a great weight reduction and simplifier. I can see how MTB-ers have benefited from it.

RDY

by RDY

DHG01 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:03 pm
As stated many, many times, the patents that Shimano,SRAM and Campag register, for the most part, are to keep copycat / clone new entrants from entering the market, not to restrict each other. They're very happy with the oligopoly, and won't fight each other.

But with the advent of wireless and electronic shifting, FSA slowly entering the market, massive demand, and huge price inflation, others inevitably will be drawn to the gruppo market. Rotor, Ingrid and Box are all niche players, but there will be others, and I'd be surprised if Rotor and Box's next major refresh or generation isn't electronic.
I think Rotor will struggle with lack of returns on Uno and 1x13.
They must surely realise that hydro shifting was a pretty awful direction to go in.

I can't really see them junking it when groupsets are so in demand. Better they pivot to electronic - I think it's easier to do than hydro ...

RDY

by RDY

itsacarr wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 am
I guess we needed a rumor mill so that Campagnolo doesn't get left in the dust to a Di2 thread that is turning into a 10 part multi series of novelas.

I suspect we will see some updates rounding out a line before we see an actual new groupset this year. Vicenza has their hands full as it is I take it producing past and current orders 24 hours a day.

Also, the tubular deals to be had out there with that wheel lines days numbered most likely ... I will forever love Bora tubulars.
There've been a steady run of rumours and patents since even before the latest EPS hit the streets. It's hardly a secret that next gen Campag stuff will be partly / completely wireless.

FWIW I think they should scrap either record or super record. Have one high end groupset in the middle of their pricing. All electronic - two SKUs ... one hydro, one rim brake. Leave Chorus and Ekar to mechanical - they sell vastly more of them than R / SR atm anyway. Then add Ekar Super (more WW & electronic) and Chorus with electronic later. Effectively having two Dura Ace level gruppos, both aimed at the same road segment makes zero sense.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

From what I've read the next generation of Campy elctronic shifting will not be EPS - new platform on the way.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

usr

by usr

RDY wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 pm
FWIW I think they should scrap either record or super record. Have one high end groupset in the middle of their pricing.
Keeping Super as a variation of Record with a certain amount of bonus irrationality is fine. What I'd like to see is them committing more to Record as the mainstay variant and calling all shared parts just "Record" and not "Super Record". When R runs SR chains and sprockets it kind of makes R a budget version of SR. If it was reversed, R would look more like a proper high end group, and SR wouldn't suffer at all, I think it would stand out even more as "and then some" (but not all parts can be improved). Once that's done they can downsize SR however they see fit, if a certain part can only lose 3 grams from going titanium they can just leave it at R. Super would still be Super if it was only Cranks and rear derailleur or something like that.

What I'd hope for them is that they find a way to design the next generation of parts to have high commonality between electronic and mechanical versions, with neither version being an afterthought to the other.

And, entirely unrelated, that they'll eventually find a way to do hydro in a smaller Ergo: I'll eventually get tired of being that rim brake guy and I don't like the fat Magura reservoirs at all.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

These shifters are really comfortable, and the bigger size contributes to superior braking performance, so I personally don't feel the urge for change here. They are neatly designed and allow you to have one more hand position - try if you can, you may be convinced.

As per rumors - apparently a smaller bcd Ekar chainset is in plans, probably followed by electronic Ekar version. I would expect that electronic Ekar might debut around the time that new electronic platform for road will be presented - with some level of wireless indeed, hopefully charged from usb-c. I wouldn't put my money on seeing it in 2021 though.
Last edited by gorkypl on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Nickldn

by Nickldn

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 pm
These shifters are really comfortable, and the bigger size contributes to superior braking performance, so I personally don't feel the urge for change here.
Agree that larger master cylinders contribute to better hydro braking, reducing the size would be a backward step. The challenge for manufacturers is to package these bigger master cylinders with mechanical shifters.

Guess electronic shifting might make it easier as chips are definitely smaller than cables and ratchets.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

tommasini

by tommasini

Sure would be nice to see something other than that hard to look at/bulky mechanical sr and Record rear derailleur. Sure it shifts fine but after releasing that design the updated EPS and Ekar reverted back to a more traditional mounting/ overall design

Dov

by Dov

Where does once purchase A Record Groupset right now in Europe? Seems stock is incredibly thin on the ground.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

ODT

by ODT

An alloy wheelset for wider/gravel tyres?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

ODT wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 pm
An alloy wheelset for wider/gravel tyres?
Not likely for the moment.
Just ride ..

gwerziou

by gwerziou

• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com