Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

Just an FYI - according to David Arthurs video the 10T only has .1W extra drag. That is inmaterial and basically equivalent to 1psi or so different from optimal tire pressure. No one will ever feel it and it won't be the difference in any race.

Yoln

by Yoln

Yeah, I was very sceptical about the 10t a couple years ago, but after trying the SRAM version, and actually having 9 cog Ekar cassette on my Litespeed, I'm sold on it. I see no issue at all for 10t
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Vespasianus wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:20 pm
TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:16 am
I had a discussion with campagnolo dealer and he confirmed all the rumors.

- Coming in May
- Wireless levers
- Shimano style shifting (no thumb shifter)
So what makes this different than Shimano or SRAM?
I said this in April and it still holds true. I have no idea why people are shocked by this. This is exacly what was expected from every rumor and forum.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

r_mutt

by r_mutt

morrisond wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:50 pm
Just an FYI - according to David Arthurs video the 10T only has .1W extra drag. That is inmaterial and basically equivalent to 1psi or so different from optimal tire pressure. No one will ever feel it and it won't be the difference in any race.
How is this being measured? A quick cursory search didn't turn up this video

Sin2000

by Sin2000

Another Campag fan here. Pretty disappointed by the lukewarm reviews and the hideous looking derailleurs, and agree with much of what has been said above.

The one positive for me is the gear ratios. They just make sense - 1st 8 sprockets are 1 tooth increments (10-25 and 10-27) and the range is still huge. For me, a 45-29 with a 10-27 would give me (almost) every gear I ever wanted.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Vespasianus wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm
Vespasianus wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:20 pm
TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:16 am
I had a discussion with campagnolo dealer and he confirmed all the rumors.

- Coming in May
- Wireless levers
- Shimano style shifting (no thumb shifter)
So what makes this different than Shimano or SRAM?
I said this in April and it still holds true. I have no idea why people are shocked by this. This is exacly what was expected from every rumor and forum.
...and I don't understand so much attachment to the thumb button.......when you have a good grip on the shifters, not down... it's more uncomfortable to shift than Sram or Shimano, which you can use up to 4 fingers of each hand to shift without having to modify the grip so that the thumb reaches the push button and lower cogs/ chainring

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

"Available in 180 days"

Ritxis

by Ritxis

As for the aesthetics.....could this be the last cool looking Campagnolo derailleur design?
descarga.jpeg
descarga.jpeg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 520 times

morrisond

by morrisond

Ritxis wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:13 pm
As for the aesthetics.....could this be the last cool looking Campagnolo derailleur design?

descarga.jpeg
Yes - still on my 2x Road bike.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

And GCN got critiqued for the Campagnolo video! :roll:

"As we bring this ride report to a close, my gut feeling is that if asked, I would have difficulty choosing between the Campagnolo Super Record Wireless group and the Dura-Ace system. I would not have said that with the old EPS group."

Why? Any detail here? Were the shifts quiet, fast, accurate?

"I put the new Super Record Wireless system easily ahead of the SRAM AXS group that previously adorned my Sarto."

Great statement. Any details as to why?

Llanberis

by Llanberis

I've been hoping the new PM chainset would come with backwards-compatibility and allow me to finally use a Campag chainset with Time pedals while having a PM (I don't like all the other available options; not Stages, not SRM spider, not Assioma / Garmin). I've decided to give up and just stick with my EXAKT's. Even they finally figure it out, and even I could swap out USB to CULT myself, the new BCD makes it impossible to work with the existing 52/36 chain rings. :(

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Ritxis wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:13 pm

descarga.jpeg
I love that, and also the 12s mech / EPS version which has a cleaner aesthetic. The new mechs give me a Razer gameware design language vibe, which is really not elegant. The cahinset with the new logo also looks like the existing 12s Chorus one.. Wonder if it's still the same designer..

https://www.behance.net/ns43

usr

by usr

rollinslow wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:34 pm
Why is Campy catering to the pros if his garbage is what they actually want? They have 1 team and otherwise a whole bunch of deep pocketed enthusiasts who are now alienated by what could be one of their most significant product failures ever.

If wireless meant looking and functioning poorly, they should have gone wired with the highest end everything, CULT, OSPW and made it gorgeous.
My impression is that they believe that they should be the company equipping at least all teams that win anything important, and while they're at it all the others as well. In reality, they have AG2R and that's driving them to near-suicidal product decisions. I consider their focus on motor shifting proof of that, because that's clearly not what they are best at but they do it anyways. Because the pros clearly wouldn't touch mechanical.If they were merely aiming for veblen they would be better off doing polished titanium and gold laced carbon without electronics.

neeb

by neeb

It's academic for me anyway as there isn't a rim brake version of the new group, but in any case I'm just so glad I invested in 11sp EPS while I had the chance (I have it on two bikes now). The last 12sp EPS group seemed to offer nothing except more weight, uglier and less well-finished components and fewer sensible gearing options, while this one seems to have gone further down the ugly and cheaper-looking (while more expensive) route, with the addition of inferior ergonomics and function by all accounts.

And let me get this right.. there are FOUR batteries that need to be charged / replaced / worried about...? (the two mech ones and the coin cells in the shifters). How is that in any way more convenient, once you have the system installed? Incidentally I've never understood the complaints about the EPS V3 charging port, I'm in my mid-50s and can't easily see the pins either, but it's really easy to plug in the connector by feel, you just push gently, rotate until it engages and then push fully. I actually find the process quite tactile and satisfying.

What I find really astounding (and this goes for a lot of other bike tech in the last few years) is the astronomical decline in quality-to-price ratio. I would challenge anyone to look at an 11sp EPS rear mech next to the latest offering and deny that the former is much, much better finished (and the quality of the electromechanical components is well-known to be better). So we just keep getting much less for much more. What is it about the market that has allowed this to happen?

I'm also sceptcial that pro team feedback is behind the ditching of the thumb button. With the amount of riding that the pros do they will very quickly get used to a different system, as long as it works functionally and ergonomically (which the thumb button does, especially the dropped EPS version). This dichotomy between the Campy and Shimano/SRAM systems has existed for decades and I find it hard to believe it's the reason for declining use of Campagnolo in the pro peloton.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com