Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Dov wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 pm
Oh and it's cheaper.
Only by a couple of grand.
LOL! That's a pair of wheels!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dov

by Dov

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:09 am
Dov wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 pm
Oh and it's cheaper.
Only by a couple of grand.
LOL! That's a pair of wheels!
Or 1 Hyperon.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 pm
but impossible in long gloves due to slippery coating at end of index finger and thumb for phone screen use. A fairly minor annoyance, but definitely an area where Campy's stiff mechanical shifting action is a pain. Finger just slips off before enough force can be applied to the lever. Even worse when raining.
So the issue is with your daft gloves rather than the thumb levers.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Yeah, I'm the only guy in the world with long finger gloves from Gore and of course no other manufacturers make gloves with phone screen pads.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 pm
neeb wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:26 pm
If I'm in the drops with EPS and I want to change down I just reach out my index finger and touch the shift lever. With mechanical I'd sometimes use two fingers, and you need to move the lever some distance with moderate force. Easy enough of course, but it requires a little more dexterity in some situations where you want to maintain as secure a grip on the bars as possible, e.g. when cornering.
Was riding Chorus 12s mechanical today with Gore long finger gloves and can't shift up with thumb shifters when in drops. This is doable in short gloves, but impossible in long gloves due to slippery coating at end of index finger and thumb for phone screen use. A fairly minor annoyance, but definitely an area where Campy's stiff mechanical shifting action is a pain. Finger just slips off before enough force can be applied to the lever. Even worse when raining.

Really easy shifting is an area where electronic excels, it just gets out of the way and allows you to focus on more important things....I guess this is one of the reasons racers prefer it.
I do find the position of the thumb button on eps, centaur, potenza and especially EKAR, to be much better than on mechanical Chorus, record and Super record.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

neeb wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:01 pm
I've never used Di2. How does EPS compare with it?
I tried Di2 on my Sagan Tarmac SL5 (First time in 27 years of anything but Campag Mechanical) At first I was excited about it and really liked it.. for me it was something new and cool... over the first few months, just started getting weird issues, front derailleur ghost shifting, rear derailleur not wanting to drop to the 11 cog.. all these were taken to the shop, alignment was perfect, firmware updated, no errors... in the final race of the year we were on a 9km loop course which crosses the same set of train tracks twice (yes Manitoba racing.. dont get me going on it) anyways, as usual, we get stopped by a train and the officials decide now that there is no time to finish the actual race, so now its a 1.5km drag race from the tracks to the finish line... I didnt even have a chance to get going, as soon as I stood up and pushed, Di2 decides to dump into the 39 ring, and I watched everyone ride away.. eventually got back on.. and that was the end of Di2 for me (except ultegra on my CX bike).. on a sidenote, the one thing I really did miss was the sprint shifters initially, but after a little time, I got used to them not being there..

micky

by micky

neeb wrote:
I've owned Shimano 9070 and 9150 before switching to 12s EPS.
9070 was the most quiet, all of them have the plus of never needing an adjustment on the cables which comes from eletric groupsets.
The plus on the Shimano were on my view;

- spare/compatible parts have a huge choice
- switching between wheels didn't need adjustments as compared to EPS
- no need to battery magnet to tun it off

Other than that, all nice groupsets with minor differences.

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

micky wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm
- EPS is built so well that you really don't need spare electronic parts - in the decade I've been running it I've had to swap a shifter that I broke through cack handedness, not through a fault - and I had a new one days later. When it came to an upgrade from V1 to V3 I had everything I needed in no time at all.
- A wheel swap is near enough one to three micro shifts up or down and the job's done.
- I've used the magnet a handfull of times when a bike's needed to go into a box / aircraft hold - at home it's never used.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

patchandscruff wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:59 am
- EPS is built so well that you really don't need spare electronic parts - in the decade I've been running it I've had to swap a shifter that I broke through cack handedness, not through a fault - and I had a new one days later. When it came to an upgrade from V1 to V3 I had everything I needed in no time at all.
Not what Micky meant I think. Every wheel brand on the market is available in HG, not all are in ED. Even Campag produce their wheels in HG.
- A wheel swap is near enough one to three micro shifts up or down and the job's done.
Fair enough
- I've used the magnet a handfull of times when a bike's needed to go into a box / aircraft hold - at home it's never used.
Not ideal according to Campag. Your EPS is constantly checking itself. It'll eventually need therapy!! ;)

tommasini

by tommasini

micky wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 pm
neeb wrote:
I've owned Shimano 9070 and 9150 before switching to 12s EPS.
9070 was the most quiet, all of them have the plus of never needing an adjustment on the cables which comes from eletric groupsets.
The plus on the Shimano were on my view;

Other than that, all nice groupsets with minor differences.
Micky - friendly observation if you had to adjust the derailer slightly when you did a wheel change wouldn't the issue be dimensional differences on the wheel sets versus an issue with the EPS just thinking about it anyways

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am
Not ideal according to Campag. Your EPS is constantly checking itself. It'll eventually need therapy!! ;)
I've never used the magnet since the day I installed it when it came out, over 10 years ago.

Mind you, I am just giving some real world lazy peoples experience and anyone that follows my lead is an idiot. If Campagnolo says to use it, you should.

micky

by micky

tommasini wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:48 pm

Micky - friendly observation if you had to adjust the derailer slightly when you did a wheel change wouldn't the issue be dimensional differences on the wheel sets versus an issue with the EPS just thinking about it anyways
Exactly that.
It just wasn't the case with Shimano, where I could swap training weel/racing wheel without any adjustment needed.
Luckily the setup with EPS is pretty simple as well as for Di2.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Saw some prices for WRL, db rotors $71, casettes $325 (10-25, 10-27, 10-29) Medium Cage RD $800, crankset $960

Crank listed as Protech as well... my understanding is UT/Protech are not backwards compatible, so this would eliminate using the current Gen crank on there... so only option to go with a 53/39 would I assume be the hope of the current chainrings being compatible, or them releasing a 53/39 and larger?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:41 pm
Saw some prices for WRL, db rotors $71, casettes $325 (10-25, 10-27, 10-29) Medium Cage RD $800, crankset $960

Crank listed as Protech as well... my understanding is UT/Protech are not backwards compatible, so this would eliminate using the current Gen crank on there... so only option to go with a 53/39 would I assume be the hope of the current chainrings being compatible, or them releasing a 53/39 and larger?
If I'm reading this right, why not just use a current gen crank with ultra-torque cups?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

rollinslow wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:53 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:41 pm

If I'm reading this right, why not just use a current gen crank with ultra-torque cups?
True..never thought about that... Wonder what the new crank looks like... I've seen prices at a few places but the pics are not visible... Seems some places listed things earlier than they should have as well..there was a link to preorder posted on another forum, it came to approx $5600 usd apparently..that link is dead now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com