2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Sunny54 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:40 am
I recently got a Aeroad SL with the DT Swiss ARC 1600 rims and GP5000 clinchers. Currently running Conti race butyl tubes (normal race, not the light).

I've been considering going tubeless to reduce rolling resistance but quite worried about the safety (blowouts), so now considering the GP5000S TR + Vitorria airliner combo.

The ARC1600 are tubeless ready, 20mm hooked rims, so hopefully able to get a good seal with the GP5000S TR.

The bike from factory is running a 25mm/28mm combo. Sticking to these sizes would suggest a small size airliner upfront and a medium size in the back. I wonder if the small would still work in the back with the 20mm rim and 28mm tyre combo so I can just get the small road kit and avoid having to buy an extra medium liner. I could also switch to 28mm tyres front and back, and use a medium kit but not sure about the aero loss given the narrow rims.

My objectives are to reduce rolling resistance, not increase weight, add rim protection in case of a flat and improve safety in case of a blowout. Keen to hear what others have done and any thoughts or recommendations.
I can't help with the Airliner but I was recently considering going 28 mm on the front as well.

According to DT Swiss the 28 / 28 combination will come with a 2 Watt penalty at 45 Km/h compared to the recommended 25 / 28 setup. That's not too bad. And remember that riding 30 Km/h into a 15 Km/h headwind already results in a net air speed of 45 Km/h.

German source: https://bikeboard.at/magazin/dt-swiss-a ... 021-th9174

I'd also expect to experience slightly worse handling in crosswinds with 28 mm at the front.

Oh, and I'd definitely recommend going tubeless. In that case 28 mm are beneficial since the sealant works better at lower pressures.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

bobones

by bobones

Sunny54 wrote:
Currently running Conti race butyl tubes (normal race, not the light).

I've been considering going tubeless to reduce rolling resistance but quite worried about the safety (blowouts), so now considering the GP5000S TR + Vitorria airliner combo.
Sorry, I must've missed the memo stating tubeless on hooked rims is more dangerous than standard clinchers with tubes regarding blowouts. Care to explain?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sunny54

by Sunny54

bobones wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:38 pm
Sunny54 wrote:

Sorry, I must've missed the memo stating tubeless on hooked rims is more dangerous than standard clinchers with tubes regarding blowouts. Care to explain?
Maybe it's not, just reading about all the blowouts on tubeless has made me nervous. In any case, I am a little worried about blowouts in general which is why I am quite keen on using airliners.
thirdsun wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:15 pm
I can't help with the Airliner but I was recently considering going 28 mm on the front as well.

According to DT Swiss the 28 / 28 combination will come with a 2 Watt penalty at 45 Km/h compared to the recommended 25 / 28 setup. That's not too bad. And remember that riding 30 Km/h into a 15 Km/h headwind already results in a net air speed of 45 Km/h.

I'd also expect to experience slightly worse handling in crosswinds with 28 mm at the front.

Oh, and I'd definitely recommend going tubeless. In that case 28 mm are beneficial since the sealant works better at lower pressures.
Thanks! Really interesting. I think that answers my question regarding the 28mm at front. I often go 40+ on flats so this would undo all the benefit of watt savings from lower rolling resistance! Probably best to stick with the 25mm then

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Sunny54 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:32 pm
bobones wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:38 pm
Sunny54 wrote:

Maybe it's not, just reading about all the blowouts on tubeless has made me nervous. In any case, I am a little worried about blowouts in general which is why I am quite keen on using airliners.
thirdsun wrote:

Thanks! Really interesting. I think that answers my question regarding the 28mm at front. I often go 40+ on flats so this would undo all the benefit of watt savings from lower rolling resistance! Probably best to stick with the 25mm then
I did actually stick with 25 mm on the front. Primarily because I liked the handling in crosswinds and didn't want to risk that. Furthermore I'm rather light and even on 25 mm tires and the rather narrow inner width of the DT Swiss ARC wheels my tubelesse tire pressure isn't all that high. If I needed more than 70 PSI I'd probalby opt for 28 mm tires though.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

thirdsun wrote:
And remember that riding 30 Km/h into a 15 Km/h headwind already results in a net air speed of 45 Km/h.
Sure, and if you can ride at 30kmh into a 15kmh headwind, then you can ride nearly 45kmh when there's no wind. If you can't ride the latter, the former condition won't happen either.

macwatt

by macwatt

https://click.marketing.emea.canyon.com ... 5c7353d1ce

Never seen that from Canyon going way back pre COVID.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

macwatt wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:33 pm
https://click.marketing.emea.canyon.com ... 5c7353d1ce

They seem to have a new bike of the week deal. This week it's the Aeroad CF SLX 7 eTap. That means this deal won't last. Grab it now if you're interested.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

Bravo73

by Bravo73

macwatt wrote:
Phew.

I’ve just ordered a CF SLX Di2. I would be a bit annoyed if this week’s price was nearly £500 less.
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Bravo73 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:37 pm
macwatt wrote:
Phew.

I’ve just ordered a CF SLX Di2. I would be a bit annoyed if this week’s price was nearly £500 less.
I mean that can always happen. Should Canyon not be allowed to do discounts just to keep recent customers happy?
  • Vitus Venon Evo

macwatt

by macwatt

The rumours of a new Aeroad soon to be released are probably true or in a very long time they have stock of certain models that are not shifting as quick as they would like.

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

They are about to release a MVDP version in red, which is the same colour he has been riding this season with the "new" frame. I seriously doubt they'll release the updated framset before November this year.

Bravo73

by Bravo73

thirdsun wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:24 pm
Bravo73 wrote:
macwatt wrote:
Phew.

I mean that can always happen. Should Canyon not be allowed to do discounts just to keep recent customers happy?
Of course they can. But, it would still be annoying to me if I had ordered just before the price drop.

And, tbh, if I had just ordered and the bike had yet to be delivered, I would expect them to honour the new, lower price.

Bravo73

by Bravo73

thirdsun wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:24 pm
Bravo73 wrote:
macwatt wrote:
Phew.

Of course they can. But, it would still be annoying to me if I had ordered just before the price drop.

And, tbh, if I had just ordered and the bike had yet to be delivered, I would expect them to honour the new, lower price.

djemz

by djemz

alexroseinnes wrote:They are about to release a MVDP version in red, which is the same colour he has been riding this season with the "new" frame. I seriously doubt they'll release the updated framset before November this year.
Pics and specs are allready on the website. I don't see anything new on the frame...
Same seatpost clamp as far as I can see.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

macwatt wrote:The rumours of a new Aeroad soon to be released are probably true or in a very long time they have stock of certain models that are not shifting as quick as they would like.
The rumor of a new soon-to-be-released Aeroad started more than half a year ago