2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattVega

by MattVega

tomtom wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:22 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am
Going to ask a question here to the current owners of the SLX/CFR aeroad regarding the cockpit. I think many can agree that having the ability to go narrower would be a Good Thing, and for the time being, Canyon has not obliged with an appropriate factory solution. Has anyone thought about/explored whether there is a way to do DIY modification on the factory CP0018 cockpit to make it narrower?

Looking at the schematics, two possibilities spring to mind:
1) (easier) - drilling another hole further out from the centre on each of the end of the bars that slides into the centre piece, and sawing a cm or so off the end. Would that enable the bar ends to go in? Or are there shape limitations that will prevent any further insertion?
2) (harder) - same modification but on the centre piece - i.e., tap another hole closer to the centre, cut off bits from the edges.

I realize that this falls into "scary" category, but would be curious to find out what folks think. From a structural perspective, I don't think this is that risky, if done carefully and with good tools. After all, the bars are strong enough to hold weight in their widest position, and making things narrower will reduce the torque. E.g., in scenario 1, one could start by simply cutting off the first hole of the tips of the bar-ends, to see if one can get them inserted further into the centre at all, before doing any drilling, and that would have no structural or aesthetic consequences and I would think worth a try.

Aero benefits of this are pretty obvious, so I will not belabor them.
Not possible; shapes of barends and centre pieces differ to much
Even with good tools , (such as diamond bits etc) messing with the integrity of Carbon (speaking at molecular level) can have disastrous results in regards to the strength of carbon. Especially something as thin as the handle bar carbon layup

I always advice against this. Of course you do what you want, but I prefer wider bars over no teeth .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frostorama

by frostorama

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 pm
TomS wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm
Totally random question: anyone use Absolute Black subcompact rings on R9100 on the Aeroad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, but I'm using Praxis Works Buzz on Power2max / Rotor 24 3D and it shifts better than ultegra imho :D
Subcompact?

Defines size of chainrings, i.e. standard = 53/39, sub-compact = 52/36 and compact = 50/34

eins4eins

by eins4eins

52/36 is semi-compact. 50/34 is compact. Everything smaller, like 46/33, is sub-compact.

Sub-compact on an aerobike does seem a little out of place though.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

eins4eins wrote:52/36 is semi-compact. 50/34 is compact. Everything smaller, like 46/33, is sub-compact.

Sub-compact on an aerobike does seem a little out of place though.
Indeed. 52/36, 11-30t seems right and probably what I’ll go with. But, I may hate myself in June when I can spin up these steep hills we have here.

I tested 52/36, 11-28 a couple of days ago on a 3-400m climb that tops out at 25% and was able to make it up without too much difficulty.

bigfloor

by bigfloor

LedZeppelin007 wrote:Totally random question: anyone use Absolute Black subcompact rings on R9100 on the Aeroad?

34 on my R9100 crank on the Aeroad, workz great

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

bigfloor wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:Totally random question: anyone use Absolute Black subcompact rings on R9100 on the Aeroad?

You running a 52 big ring?

bigfloor

by bigfloor

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
bigfloor wrote:

You running a 52 big ring?

Running the R9100 big ring 50, and the 34 absolute black oval ring.

Last edited by bigfloor on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom

by tomtom

tomtom wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:22 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am
Going to ask a question here to the current owners of the SLX/CFR aeroad regarding the cockpit. I think many can agree that having the ability to go narrower would be a Good Thing, and for the time being, Canyon has not obliged with an appropriate factory solution. Has anyone thought about/explored whether there is a way to do DIY modification on the factory CP0018 cockpit to make it narrower?

Looking at the schematics, two possibilities spring to mind:
1) (easier) - drilling another hole further out from the centre on each of the end of the bars that slides into the centre piece, and sawing a cm or so off the end. Would that enable the bar ends to go in? Or are there shape limitations that will prevent any further insertion?
2) (harder) - same modification but on the centre piece - i.e., tap another hole closer to the centre, cut off bits from the edges.

I realize that this falls into "scary" category, but would be curious to find out what folks think. From a structural perspective, I don't think this is that risky, if done carefully and with good tools. After all, the bars are strong enough to hold weight in their widest position, and making things narrower will reduce the torque. E.g., in scenario 1, one could start by simply cutting off the first hole of the tips of the bar-ends, to see if one can get them inserted further into the centre at all, before doing any drilling, and that would have no structural or aesthetic consequences and I would think worth a try.

Aero benefits of this are pretty obvious, so I will not belabor them.
Not possible; shapes of bar-ends and centre piece differ to much.
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

cnyn

by cnyn

Hi Aeroad users,
could you please do me a favour and check if your front wheel is centered in between the fork?
I just saw that thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/CanyonBikes/co ... _centered/
So maybe it has to be like that? Is there a official statement?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

No, not really.
Attachments
A2F618A2-442C-4325-A8F5-DF603E3B74CB.png

Kzco

by Kzco

Anyone seen this ?

Is it just me ?
Attachments
aerosb.png

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Kzco wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:51 pm
Anyone seen this ?

Is it just me ?
You're really opening up the conversation. What are we looking at and why?

seventyseven

by seventyseven

NordicSal wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 pm
Kzco wrote:
Anyone seen this ?

Is it just me ?
You're really opening up the conversation. What are we looking at and why?
Absence of rear clamping bolt. Discussed on page 218.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

219 for anyone interested, and thanks. Hope they've fixed the seatpost issues completely with this.

Has anyone got an idea to whether or not it's possible to change the cockpit to something more traditional and still have it internally routed on the SLX and CFR?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomS

by TomS

Kzco wrote:
Anyone seen this ?

Is it just me ?
Isn't the clamping bolt lower for XS frames? Seems to be a very small size... But I do hope that this is a redesign (although with some tape my seatpost hasn't creaked in > 5000km now). Btw, the other bikes in the picture do have the clamping bolt.