2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djemz

by djemz

Maddie wrote:
macwatt wrote:The rumours of a new Aeroad soon to be released are probably true or in a very long time they have stock of certain models that are not shifting as quick as they would like.
The rumor of a new soon-to-be-released Aeroad started more than half a year ago
True. Glad I didn't wait for a 105 di2 version. Allready enjoying my aeroad 5 months since that rumour.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

djemz wrote:
Maddie wrote:
macwatt wrote:The rumours of a new Aeroad soon to be released are probably true or in a very long time they have stock of certain models that are not shifting as quick as they would like.
The rumor of a new soon-to-be-released Aeroad started more than half a year ago
True. Glad I didn't wait for a 105 di2 version. Allready enjoying my aeroad 5 months since that rumour.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk
I do hope they come out with a 105 di2 build. Canyon is so close to having a killer bike with the aeroad. I’m not in a huge rush to buy a bike but I would buy an aeroad in a heartbeat if they made a few adjustments. It looks like they are making some of them, and hopefully they offer more cockpit options whenever this update does come out.

I’ve been speaking with Canyon US reps about 105 di2 builds and they all say it will be an SL model if anything. I think they are wrong but I wonder if they will begin selling SL builds with thier integrated cockpit, or make two piece a version of the cockpit that allows you to swap handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwpeterson

by gwpeterson

Hello All,

First time poster. I've read most of this thread and appreciate all the contributions. It truly helped firm my buying decision and educated me on things to watch for.

I'm in Florida, USA and ordered my size S on a Friday. The bike landed on my doorstep the following Thursday, signature required. I paid expedited shipping, however, increasing shipping cost from $99 to $199. Very pleased with that process.

I assembled the bike and encountered only one issue, the long standing stuck-saddle-clamp issue. I used a punch to tap out the clamps, re-installed and so far so good. I leveled the saddle and positioned fore-aft no problem. Canyon needs to solve this, otherwise I really like this one-bolt system. I can't be sure but the rail clamp appears to be suitable both for round seat rails and also 7x9 mm oval carbon rails. I temporarily test fit my Berk Lupina and it seemed ok but then I put the OEM Selle Italia saddle back on. Any comment on 7x9 rails being ok or not?

I took her on a 20 mile maiden voyage yesterday and: WOW. It's everything I hoped for and more. This bike is effortlessly fast and comfortable. After the ride it dawned on me that I never once considered the saddle. Normally for me, the saddle pops into my mind at least once every ride. But this saddle on this bike simply blended into the background never once causing my body to notice it. I think that's a good thing speaking to its comfort.

The 12-speed Di2 is a first for me, first time 12-speed and first time electronic. Previously I poo-poo'd the need but now I see what all the fuss is about. That extra gear really fills the cadence gaps beautifully. I rode fully-synchronized and it's absolutely fantastic. I think I prefer the front-rear synchronization to occur at a different gear combination so I'll see about using the E-tube app to change it. The only gripe I have is that the default synchro causes enough cross-chaining to produce chain noise.

Upon returning home my rear tire blew out about 1 block from my house. I immediately dismounted and walked the remaining distance, a bit disappointed as this would be the first time Continental GP's ever punctured for me. I inspected the tire and was perplexed to not find anything amiss; no obvious puncture point. After removing the tube and submerging it in water, I saw air leaking from only one point... the construction seam opposite the valve stem appears to have split. I've never seen this or heard of it happening. Very odd.

So idk. I attributed that to it just being a cheap inner tube. Anybody else experience this?

In any event, that experience presented itslef as an opportunity to install my latex tubes, so all is good. If this is a case of Canyon using really cheap butyl tubes, maybe something else Canyon should address. I'm ok having an inexpensive butyl tube, we all have our favorties anyway and will probably replace, but I'd at least like to have something of good quality. I only had 80 psi in there; it shouldn't have blown out.

Your New Aeroad Cousin,
George

:-)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

gwpeterson wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:26 pm
I can't be sure but the rail clamp appears to be suitable both for round seat rails and also 7x9 mm oval carbon rails. I temporarily test fit my Berk Lupina and it seemed ok but then I put the OEM Selle Italia saddle back on. Any comment on 7x9 rails being ok or not?
I'm fairly certain that you need a different saddle clamp for oval rails. Link from the german store: https://www.canyon.com/en-de/gear/bike- ... 08069.html
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

ryan8

by ryan8

thirdsun wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 pm
gwpeterson wrote:
I can't be sure but the rail clamp appears to be suitable both for round seat rails and also 7x9 mm oval carbon rails. I temporarily test fit my Berk Lupina and it seemed ok but then I put the OEM Selle Italia saddle back on. Any comment on 7x9 rails being ok or not?
I'm fairly certain that you need a different saddle clamp for oval rails. Link from the german store: https://www.canyon.com/en-de/gear/bike- ... 08069.html
Can confirm this.

usr

by usr

gwpeterson wrote:

So idk. I attributed that to it just being a cheap inner tube. Anybody else experience this?
It's the S-bend shape of reliability: some breakdowns will happen early in the product life, then there's the phase of peak reliability before wear starts kicking in.

Could be the material, could be factory floor installation, as in a natural outcome thereof. Or a combination. What I mean with factory floor installation: when you spend months doing it many times a day you'll not only get very good at avoiding some mistakes, but also very good at riding the edge of certain speed/reliability trade-offs that might lead to others. It's not that they are deliberately shoddy, it's just an inevitable outcome of repeated doing that you learn a lot about the process. And while much of that learning is an improvement in reliability, the routine will also inevitable contain an element of carelessness compared to someone who hasn't done the procedure in months. You simply can't have both, the excited attention of the beginner (or the once-a-month) and the experienced routine of the person who does this a lot, and given a choice I'd say I'd prefer the latter. But it's usually a close call and I guess some tasks benefit a lot more from the routine while others benefit more from lack-of-routine attention.

In any case, considering how short the life of a tube is anyways, and how many of the bikes sold would be converted to tubeless or latex or TPU anyways, I couldn't blame them for sourcing the placeholder butyl from a cheap supplier. If you want to do them a favor send them a notice that the tire blew on the first ride, that way they have a chance at recognizing a pattern in the unlikely case that it actually is one.

Bravo73

by Bravo73

djemz wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 5:54 am
alexroseinnes wrote:They are about to release a MVDP version in red, which is the same colour he has been riding this season with the "new" frame. I seriously doubt they'll release the updated framset before November this year.
Pics and specs are allready on the website. I don't see anything new on the frame...
Same seatpost clamp as far as I can see.
FWIW, it didn’t look like Movistar were using the new (ie MVdP/seatpost) frame on today’s stage at the Giro. So, maybe it is a MVdP only ‘prototype’ so far.
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

Bravo73

by Bravo73

Bravo73

by Bravo73

Nor Alpecin…

defride

by defride

gwpeterson wrote:
Hello All,

I assembled the bike and encountered only one issue, the long standing stuck-saddle-clamp issue. I used a punch to tap out the clamps, re-installed and so far so good. I leveled the saddle and positioned fore-aft no problem. Canyon needs to solve this, otherwise I really like this one-bolt system. I can't be sure but the rail clamp appears to be suitable both for round seat rails and also 7x9 mm oval carbon rails. I temporarily test fit my Berk Lupina and it seemed ok but then I put the OEM Selle Italia saddle back on. Any comment on 7x9 rails being ok or not?
My carbon Selle Flite 7x9 wasn't close to fitting, had to buy the adaptor

defride

by defride

Picked up my CFR at the end of last month, must say, very impressed, a good deal better than I'd expected

First the bad. Ver poorly set up out of the box. Wouldn't go into the 30t at the rear, the FD was too high and not even aligned with the front chainrings, it rubbed on the FD cage in 48x10! Both front and rear discs rubbed, the rear badly. I got it going but with no previous experience of SRAM electronic I popped into a local mechanic and had it fine tuned. Working better but 400w+ out the saddle the chain rubs on the FD, normal? Under heavy load there also seems to be noise in some gears from the rear. AXS stuff, other than setup not really a Canyon issue?

The good. It's fast, noticeably so. My local test route is 60km, 500m of climbing that I do when fit at just over 33kph solo. That's on a 2015 Black Inc Super Six, Sram Red mech & Vision 55 tubs. Went around first time on the CFR at 35.5kph, wow. Thing is it does feel fast. Kinda expected that, perhaps not to this extent. One of the guys I ride with is on an SL6, when behind him on a hill he pulls when I'm on the SS freewheeling, on the CFR I have to brake. What I didn't expect was the comfort. It's come shod with 28s and surprisingly latex tubes, I've since converted to tubeless. Either way it's more comfortable to ride on 75psi than the SS on 90-psi tubs - no shit Sherlock! Despite the lower pressures I guessed the bigger tubes would offer a firm/dull ride feel, not at all. Also thought it'd be wanting acceleration wise off the line, again, not so, it's stiffer than the SS. Despite giving away more than a kilo to the SS it's not been as noticeable as I've found on other bikes. My winter hack, a 7kg TCR feels flat and heavy by comparison. Not done a serious hill ride yet but on modest hills, no problem. Braking, yep, discs are better than rim on carbon

So modern bikes have moved on, the Cannondale Super Six was pretty state of the art a few years back but it's outgunned in every area by the new Aeroad CFR and here she is

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

I want to like this bike so much but that godforsaken handlebar is *f##k* useless.

bratz

by bratz

Im ok with the bar....just not thrilled that we cant purchase different size...needed a 100mm to swap with my 90mm...any ideas how to gain some reach

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

bratz wrote:Im ok with the bar....just not thrilled that we cant purchase different size...needed a 100mm to swap with my 90mm...any ideas how to gain some reachImage

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I’d check Facebook groups for canyon owners, I saw some people looking to swap or get rid of bars there.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:22 am
I want to like this bike so much but that godforsaken handlebar is *f##k* useless.

I was concerned. Then I bought one. It's great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com