2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

m03ppp

by m03ppp

Hey,

I'm looking for a way to attach tri bars to my 2021 Aeroad. So far the only safe options seems to be to replace the entire fork handlebar combo. Canyon still sells an Aeroad with the old cockpit (H36) so that should be possible in general.

Does anybody know if the firs gen fork (2018/CANY-F041-RD) fits on a 2021 model (apart from the internal cable routing)?

Would also appreciate any links to successful conversions.

Thank you!

thirdsun

by thirdsun

juraj wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 am
1) can confirm the discussion above for handlebar width. My Aeroad CFR is size XL, comes with 110mm stem lenght and I can do these handlebar width settings: 390,410, 430 mm

2) I'm completely fine with the narrowest setting at 390mm, but its the stem lenght that bothers me, I'd really like to get 1cm longer, i.e. 120mm but Canyon says its not possible :?

3) I was just contacted by Canyon by email (not sure if it happend to other as well) but they were very specific that for my model: Aeroad CFR size XL (they were even specific on the size). Canyon offers to replace frame for the newer version, citing that this specific frame is prone to cracks in the seatpost area ... etc.
Generally, I'm keen to get a new frame, but they refuse to send the frame, they're only offering to send them the bike for replacemet (and be without a bike for some time aaaah).
[/list]
XL? There was a concern about CFR frames in 2XL a few months ago. Apparently only the CFR frame in size 2XL was affected. Here's more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/CanyonBikes/s/HtS7xRVjEZ

XL being affected too is news to me.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

juraj

by juraj

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:44 pm
juraj wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 am
1) can confirm the discussion above for handlebar width. My Aeroad CFR is size XL, comes with 110mm stem lenght and I can do these handlebar width settings: 390,410, 430 mm

2) I'm completely fine with the narrowest setting at 390mm, but its the stem lenght that bothers me, I'd really like to get 1cm longer, i.e. 120mm but Canyon says its not possible :?

3) I was just contacted by Canyon by email (not sure if it happend to other as well) but they were very specific that for my model: Aeroad CFR size XL (they were even specific on the size). Canyon offers to replace frame for the newer version, citing that this specific frame is prone to cracks in the seatpost area ... etc.
Generally, I'm keen to get a new frame, but they refuse to send the frame, they're only offering to send them the bike for replacemet (and be without a bike for some time aaaah).
[/list]
XL? There was a concern about CFR frames in 2XL a few months ago. Apparently only the CFR frame in size 2XL was affected. Here's more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/CanyonBikes/s/HtS7xRVjEZ

XL being affected too is news to me.
yes, looks like canyon is gradually doing the recall by size descending. Anyways, I was suprprised that they want to only give me the same frame color even thought the new models (with new seatpost attachement system) have different color schemes now.

TomS

by TomS

Quick question: I crashed my 2022 Aeroad CF SLX di 2 yesterday and want to order a new one. Given the frame issues with the CFR, I'm not inclined to upgrade to CFR but sticking with SLX di2.

However, I had the 11 speed version, which I had converted to a Power2Max power meter with Rotor3D cranks and 50-34 chainrings for Alpes/Pyrenees/etc.
Can anyone confirm the 12-speed is also equiped with 52-36 and not 50-34? I want to add a 4iii Precision 3+Pro left sided powermeter to the ultegra cranks.

And perhaps also: the "new" version with 4iii powermeter already on it, is that left-sides only or dual?

Both these issues are not clear from the website...
Thanks!

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

TomS wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:49 pm
Quick question: I crashed my 2022 Aeroad CF SLX di 2 yesterday and want to order a new one. Given the frame issues with the CFR, I'm not inclined to upgrade to CFR but sticking with SLX di2.

However, I had the 11 speed version, which I had converted to a Power2Max power meter with Rotor3D cranks and 50-34 chainrings for Alpes/Pyrenees/etc.
Can anyone confirm the 12-speed is also equiped with 52-36 and not 50-34? I want to add a 4iii Precision 3+Pro left sided powermeter to the ultegra cranks.

And perhaps also: the "new" version with 4iii powermeter already on it, is that left-sides only or dual?

Thanks!
Mine came with left sided and 52/36.
Very odd they don't specify the chain ring size.

garbageman

by garbageman

TomS wrote:

Thanks!
They list the chainring sizes under Geometry & dimensions>Component geometry. 52/36 for all sizes.
The pictures show a left only power meter and there's no mention of "Precision Pro" (the dual-sided version).

IchDien

by IchDien

Apologies for the n00b question but TLDR.

Is now a good time to buy a Uletgra Di2 SLX or are we expecting any updates for the TDF?

Petermeter

by Petermeter

I would assume the current iteration is over due (yes, there was a silent launch last year - but it gained in weight by a lot(!) and all the pro's are still on the "old" one) With both the Tour and the Olympics they should come up with a big launch of something new.... but it's Canyon, so you never know...

thirdsun

by thirdsun

IchDien wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:30 am
Apologies for the n00b question but TLDR.

Is now a good time to buy a Uletgra Di2 SLX or are we expecting any updates for the TDF?
There might be minor updates. Canyon usually keeps their frames around for a long time. However the Ultegra models are currently quite cheap. Here in Germany they are down to 5499 €. Don't expect to get them anywhere close to this price if they are updated.

Still a great bike, particularly for that price. I'd say it's a good time unless money (and patience) isn't a concern at all.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

TomS

by TomS

Eterna7m wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 pm
TomS wrote:

Thanks!
Mine came with left sided and 52/36.
Very odd they don't specify the chain ring size.
Thanks! I just ordered the stealth one (likeed it more than the dark grey, esp in size 2XL), and ordered a precision 3+ pro seperately.

TomS

by TomS

garbageman wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 pm
TomS wrote:

Thanks!
They list the chainring sizes under Geometry & dimensions>Component geometry. 52/36 for all sizes.
The pictures show a left only power meter and there's no mention of "Precision Pro" (the dual-sided version).
Yes thank you, I missed that info!

KalleWirsch

by KalleWirsch

What is the reason why Canyon sells two different versions of the CFR with Dura Ace?
In the German store there is one version with Dura Ace cranks and one version with Rotor cranks.
Why these two different versions?

thirdsun

by thirdsun

KalleWirsch wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:19 pm
What is the reason why Canyon sells two different versions of the CFR with Dura Ace?
In the German store there is one version with Dura Ace cranks and one version with Rotor cranks.
I'd guess that one still uses the older seat post clamp but I can't tell from the pictures.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

garbageman

by garbageman

KalleWirsch wrote:
I think they're just different model years. Same frame/seatpost design. Canyon probably spec'd the Rotor crankset because the Shimano PM crankset was in short supply/unavailable at the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomS

by TomS

garbageman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:06 pm
KalleWirsch wrote:
I think they're just different model years. Same frame/seatpost design. Canyon probably spec'd the Rotor crankset because the Shimano PM crankset was in short supply/unavailable at the time.
Correct, it was in short supply lasrt year. I'd never buy a Shimano power meter due to it being notoriously inaccurate...