2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

NordicSal wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:44 am
Less aero and you won't get anywhere near those wheels for the extra you're paying for the canyon. Of course, if someone can only fit on one of them, then that's the best buy for him/her.
More aero with rider for most people because you're not stuck with the single cockpit option Canyon has deemed fit for everyone of your size.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Lina wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:51 am
NordicSal wrote:
Less aero and you won't get anywhere near those wheels for the extra you're paying for the canyon. Of course, if someone can only fit on one of them, then that's the best buy for him/her.
More aero with rider for most people because you're not stuck with the single cockpit option Canyon has deemed fit for everyone of your size.
Like 39 cm or 37 cm isn't narrow enough + you can change the length.

I don't think the cockpit is a particularly good idea, because I'd rather have their normal 1 1/2 inch with integrated cables somehow, but this is just not a serious argument for most people.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

NordicSal wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:47 pm
Lina wrote:
NordicSal wrote:

I don't think the cockpit is a particularly good idea, because I'd rather have their normal 1 1/2 inch with integrated cables somehow, but this is just not a serious argument for most people.
Last thing I've heard getting your own length required calling canyon multiple times to reach an employee, that is actually able to order the cockpit. Otherwise you can't choose your length.

Lina

by Lina

NordicSal wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:47 pm
Lina wrote:
NordicSal wrote:

Not being able to replace one of the most critical parts in terms of bike fit is not a serious argument? I mean sure, most people might not care about their bike fitting them or being able to get into an aero position but is that really an argument when we're arguing over aero. And bike fit is a major part of it. Last I checked the 37 cm wide bar is only with 90 mm stem, and no, 39 cm isn't narrow enough. 37 at the hoods is pushing it, especially without flare and the new UCI rules about levers.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Love my Aeroad CFR.I have over 15k miles (24k+ km) on mine. The wife has over 12k (20k km) miles on hers. Not a single issue whatsoever.

I am not dismissing the struggles some have had with their Aeroads, and I fully understand the challenges with Canyon's customer service at times (had issues with my Ultimate). The point is some, if not most of the Aeroad owners out there have had thousands of issue free miles and lots of smiles. It's by far the most exciting bike I've ridden.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Fabvr6

by Fabvr6

Hi all,

quick question, can someone verify, if I could re-use the drop bars of my CP0018, after I swap to a different size stem?

I have a size S aeroad, 90mm stem, I found a 110mm stem and I am about to install it. The T-part of the stem seems longer (of course), but also seems wider from left to right, but also seems wider front to back comparing to the 90mm one. sorry didnt take pics as I just drop everything off to my bike mechanic.

Fab

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Fabvr6 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:15 am
Hi all,

quick question, can someone verify, if I could re-use the drop bars of my CP0018, after I swap to a different size stem?

I have a size S aeroad, 90mm stem, I found a 110mm stem and I am about to install it. The T-part of the stem seems longer (of course), but also seems wider from left to right, but also seems wider front to back comparing to the 90mm one. sorry didnt take pics as I just drop everything off to my bike mechanic.

Fab
The answer is "it depends". The original bars had drops that were oval at the ends and thinner at the top part that slides into the stem/top assembly. The newer version (post MVdP incident on TV) are round at the ends and thicker at the top part that slides into the stem/top assembly.

So if you have the original bars and the new stem/top is the latest design, it will fit but will be less than ideal due to the smaller diameter of the drop part that slides in.

If you have the newer bar design and the new stem/top is from the original batch, than it will not fit due to the newer bar drops being a larger diameter.

I went through this some time ago when I had to replace my wife's CFR frame due to airline mishandling. I found a new frameset with the newest bar/stem design and had to mix and match the drops and bar/stem combo to make everything work.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi all,

Fab
No. The drops come in two versions. Small and large. I forget which stem size is the cutoff but likely 90mm gets the small and the 110mm definitely gets the large.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:21 am
Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi all,

Fab
No. The drops come in two versions. Small and large. I forget which stem size is the cutoff but likely 90mm gets the small and the 110mm definitely gets the large.
I don't think that was the question he was asking. Having replaced my bars with a 110mm version by replacing my wife's cracked frame and taking the bars that came with her new frame, the question of "will his drops fit" is it depends. It depends on whether or not the bars he bought with the longer stem are the new version or the old version, as well as whether or not his original bars are the new version or the old version. If a mix of new and old, there is a combination that will fit. That is the old drops in the new stem/top assembly. The other way will not work as the new bar drops are thicker and wider than the original.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:02 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi all,

Fab
I don't think that was the question he was asking. Having replaced my bars with a 110mm version by replacing my wife's cracked frame and taking the bars that came with her new frame, the question of "will his drops fit" is it depends. It depends on whether or not the bars he bought with the longer stem are the new version or the old version, as well as whether or not his original bars are the new version or the old version. If a mix of new and old, there is a combination that will fit. That is the old drops in the new stem/top assembly. The other way will not work as the new bar drops are thicker and wider than the original.
What they asked is exactly what I answered. Even if both stems are an old or new version (not sure if that incompatibility is actually true). There are TWO types of drops for the current CP18 and they vary by stem size, which they are changing. The drops from a new CP18 stem on a XS bike will not fit on the stem of a new CP18 stem on a XL bike. The widths are different, as they already noticed.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:40 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:02 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fabvr6 wrote:
Hi all,

Fab
What they asked is exactly what I answered. Even if both stems are an old or new version (not sure if that incompatibility is actually true). There are TWO types of drops for the current CP18 and they vary by stem size, which they are changing. The drops from a new CP18 stem on a XS bike will not fit on the stem of a new CP18 stem on a XL bike. The widths are different, as they already noticed.
Unless you and the OP are PMing each other, I see nothing regarding an XS or XL bike size. I have three different CP18 stem sizes. A second generation CP18 110mm stem that came from an XS CFR (that's extra small), and have a first generation CP18 90mm stem that came from a Small CFR. I also have a first generation CP18 80mm stem from a XS CFR. With all three different stem lengths, none came from an XL bike. The difference between the new and old CP18 drops is that the newer version has round ends and thicker slide portion that enters the T. All three drops are the exact same width. Since none came from an XL sized bike, I'm not commenting on drops from an XL bike, and from what I can read in this thread, neither is the OP.

My first hand experience with the new/old drops and stem combo fitment mismatch is absolutely true. Owning three Aeroad CFRs, all with different stem lengths in and old and new combination, and none from an XL bike make it fact. What you're are likely missing is the availability of non-public release bar/stem combinations available through various channels, which is exactly what I dealt with regarding the 110mm stem from an XS CFR that is now on my Small CFR.

What we're all missing is where the OPs new stem came from. Was it from an XL bike or a non-public release like the 110mm stem that I have.
Last edited by Cannoli on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

eaten14

by eaten14

Hi,
last two days I have been riding Specialized Tarmac on SRAM Rival eTap AXS wireless that worked quite amazing. As I am more inclined towards Shimano I'm thinking if my Aeroad CF SL 8 with mechanical Ultegra can be upgraded to DI2. As far as I heard there are some holes missing and drilling to the frame doesn't sound right to me. Anyone succesfully did it though? I also heard that SRAm being wireless shouldnt be a problem, is that right? Is t there a Di2 wireless solution? Thanks for all the answers.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:57 pm
What we're all missing is where the OPs new stem came from. Was it from an XL bike or a non-public release like the 110mm stem that I have.
... fine let me rewind and simplify because youre on the right track but got your conclusion wrong. I said XS and XL because I'm talking about stock CP18 sizes and know for a fact the drops on those have different part numbers and don't fit. I'm talking about current bikes, not old ones. If you got a 110mm stem from a current XS frame it wasn't stock to begin with, because the stock size is 90mm.

Let me clear this up for OP before you confuse them more. I checked a bunch of bikes and here you go.

70-90mm stems use a the "small" drops which are adjustable from 370-410mm in width.

100-130mm stems use the "large" drops which are adjustable from 390-430mm in width.

These are not compatible.

And no, there is no "public release" and "non-public release version" of CP18 unless you got a prototype. The 90mm and 110mm only differ due to the width, which requires both drops and stem to change.

TLDR: drops from 90mm CP18 is not the same as the 110mm and will need replacing.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:42 am
Cannoli wrote:
70-90mm stems use a the "small" drops which are adjustable from 370-410mm in width.
Not true. I ride a 2XS Aeroad with an 80 mm stem and the narrowest handlebar setting is 390 mm (center to center). I wish it was narrower.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

thirdsun wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:01 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:42 am
Cannoli wrote:
Not true. I ride a 2XS Aeroad with an 80 mm stem and the narrowest handlebar setting is 390 mm (center to center). I wish it was narrower.
Look again. There are 3 settings on the 2XS, 390mm +/- 20mm. The labels on the drops tell you exactly that: 370mm, 390mm, and 410mm.