2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

chicagocyclist wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:50 pm
The current CFR di2 ships with a Rotor aldhu24 crankset instead of dura ace. Anyone have any pros/cons of this? Think I prefer full dura ace to be honest...
Shimano DA power meters have had a lot of issues - so for a possible mild weight penalty I think I'd rather take an accurate power meter but lose a few grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcbm5gKOi2g - DC Rainmaker slating the DA powermeter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Golden

by Golden

Could anyone with an CP18 cockpits let me know if they are like the older Canyon cockpits (H31 and H36) in that they measure 1-2 cm longer than stated. For example, my supposedly 100mm H36 measures more like 115mm. Canyon even has a post about that in their FAQ section: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/customer-s ... ckpit.html

Does this also hold true for the CP18 or do they measure more traditional?

Lina

by Lina

chicagocyclist wrote:
The current CFR di2 ships with a Rotor aldhu24 crankset instead of dura ace. Anyone have any pros/cons of this? Think I prefer full dura ace to be honest...
I'd rather have the Aldhu than Dura-Ace. And I say this having the 30 mm version on two bikes. Won't come apart like the hollow Shimano cranks, relatively easy to swap crank length, multiple power meter options that actually work.

defride

by defride

chicagocyclist wrote:
Fair chance it's due to the issues with Shimano power meters

Maddie

by Maddie

Much rather due to availability...

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Fresh tires are due for my CF SLX 8 and I'm considering going with 28 mm on the front this time. What's your experience with 28 mm on the front?

I understand the DT Swiss ARC 1400 (current generation) are primarily designed for 25 mm, but can also support 28 mm. DT Swiss says the 28/28 combination comes with a 2 Watt penalty at 45 Km/h compared to 25/28 [1]. I could live with that but I worry that the handling in cross winds will be noticeably worse with a wider tire.

My motivation for going 28 is the fact that I've been running tubeless for a while and like to increase the sealant's performance / effectiveness with lower pressure.
Currently I run 25/28 GP 5000 S TR with 4.8 bar (70 PSI) on the front and 4.5 bar (65 PSI) on the back. I weigh 65 Kg and comfort is fine with that combination (but I'm always open to improvements). Should I stick with this combination or would you encourage me to go with 28 mm on the front?

[1] https://bikeboard.at/magazin/dt-swiss-a ... 021-th9174
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

edchristoph

by edchristoph

thirdsun wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:01 am
Fresh tires are due for my CF SLX 8 and I'm considering going with 28 mm on the front this time. What's your experience with 28 mm on the front?

I understand the DT Swiss ARC 1400 (current generation) are primarily designed for 25 mm, but can also support 28 mm. DT Swiss says the 28/28 combination comes with a 2 Watt penalty at 45 Km/h compared to 25/28 [1]. I could live with that but I worry that the handling in cross winds will be noticeably worse with a wider tire.

My motivation for going 28 is the fact that I've been running tubeless for a while and like to increase the sealant's performance / effectiveness with lower pressure.
Currently I run 25/28 GP 5000 S TR with 4.8 bar (70 PSI) on the front and 4.5 bar (65 PSI) on the back. I weigh 65 Kg and comfort is fine with that combination (but I'm always open to improvements). Should I stick with this combination or would you encourage me to go with 28 mm on the front?

If you are concerned about the puncture/faliure protection of your tubless setup I would consider using airliners. This way you have both, good puncture protection through the sealant and protection against runflats through the airliners in case of a more catastrophic failure.

I am running the same 25/28 GP 5000 S TR setup like you plus Vittoria Airliners. I am verry happy with this setup and personally don't see a reason to change this.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Golden wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:31 am
Could anyone with an CP18 cockpits let me know if they are like the older Canyon cockpits (H31 and H36) in that they measure 1-2 cm longer than stated. For example, my supposedly 100mm H36 measures more like 115mm. Canyon even has a post about that in their FAQ section: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/customer-s ... ckpit.html

Mine is a large so this is what canyon say is a 110m 'stem'
719B9CAC-DA86-40F9-89CC-ABF3D8591760.jpeg

Golden

by Golden

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:28 pm
Golden wrote:

Mine is a large so this is what canyon say is a 110m 'stem'

719B9CAC-DA86-40F9-89CC-ABF3D8591760.jpeg
Thanks for that! Seems like measurements are more reasonable with the CP0018.
For reference, here's my "100mm" H36

Attachments
20230420_190626.jpg
20230420_190604.jpg

thirdsun

by thirdsun

edchristoph wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:18 pm
thirdsun wrote:

If you are concerned about the puncture/faliure protection of your tubless setup I would consider using airliners. This way you have both, good puncture protection through the sealant and protection against runflats through the airliners in case of a more catastrophic failure.

I am running the same 25/28 GP 5000 S TR setup like you plus Vittoria Airliners. I am verry happy with this setup and personally don't see a reason to change this.
I'm not really interested in using Airliners. Currently setting up tubeless feels very easy and effortless. I like it simple and adding an Airliner just feels like unnecessary complexity.

I was just wondering if 28 mm on the front is a good idea. It's obviously beneficial to the tubeless sealant's performance but I'm not sure if this is outweighed by the degraded crosswind handling and aero penalty. I guess I'll stick with 25 mm for now. While 28 mm should be ok I think the DT Swiss ARC range is slightly too narrow for a modern aero wheel.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

cberg

by cberg

Golden wrote:

I compared mine to a H36 with the "same" length. The old one is about a cm longer :thumbup:

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Golden wrote:Could anyone with an CP18 cockpits let me know if they are like the older Canyon cockpits (H31 and H36) in that they measure 1-2 cm longer than stated. For example, my supposedly 100mm H36 measures more like 115mm. Canyon even has a post about that in their FAQ section: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/customer-s ... ckpit.html

Thanks for posting this, confirms what I always suspected.

Does anybody know if the handlebar reach is measured from the same point (rear edge of the bar) in which case the total reach (stem + bar) should be same as the traditional way of measuring?

BenCousins

by BenCousins

edchristoph wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

What sort of catastrophic failures are you imagining?

edchristoph

by edchristoph

BenCousins wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm
edchristoph wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Basically every puncture or cut that is too big for sealant to seal which will then unevitably lead to a runflat.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

edchristoph wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:14 am
BenCousins wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm
edchristoph wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Basically every puncture or cut that is too big for sealant to seal which will then unevitably lead to a runflat.
Isn't the subset of runflats that are fast enough to be dangerous along with it happening in a situation where it is dangerous along with situations that aren't so dangerous that the airliner can do its job properly incredibly small?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com