2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MattVega

by MattVega

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:19 am
Lina wrote:
skidz wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:54 pm
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm
This Aeroad would be such a great bike if it wasn’t for this terrible cockpit. The fact that canyon won’t do ANYTHING to work with customer and get the dimensions they need just adds insult to injury. Then to throw acid on the burn they clearly make a bunch of other cockpit dimensions for pros that they just don’t sell. I’m pretty sure even the men’s zwift academy finalists got custom sized cockpits on their bikes. It’s seems like it would be so easy for them to make a few changes with the cockpit and this bike would be perfect.

Just to be clear, I think the following things need to change:

- they need to have options for the bar to be at a steeper stem angle

- they need longer stems that also go to at least 36cm at the hoods. Ideally even more narrow with a flare at the drops

- they need to allow customer buying brand new bikes to swap cockpits and the point of purchase and make give more choice to the customer in terms of cockpit dimensions, much more choice.

Sorry for the rant, I would really like this bike if it wasn’t for that darn cockpit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They also force you take a shallower wheel in size S. I'd prefer the choice. Totally agree on bar width. Would also want 36 at hoods.

Best I can get on cf sl is 39, but stuck with a 90mm stem.
On the SL you can change the cockpit to whatever you want.
Of course, but then I have to be okay with mechanical shifting, a heavier frame, and heavier wheels. The SL model would be great sold as a frame but nope, canyon wouldn’t do that either.

just a remark. not sure about my comment that I am about to make but...

I am not sure if the CF SL is that much heavier than the CF SLX.

My CF SL with 105 weight around 7.9kg (with 105! )

the CF SLX is listed at 7.76kg with di2 ultegra.

now I know i am comparing apples and oranges here, but I have asked canyon repeatably about the weight of the CF SL and they are always very vague about it

and no I am not stripping my CF SL for the sake of weighing the frame :P

Also: the Reynolds AR DB 62 are a real steal at that price point. ok, they are a bit heavier.

skidz

by skidz

Lina wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:06 am

Not sure where you are but you can't here in the U.K...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm
This Aeroad would be such a great bike if it wasn’t for this terrible cockpit. The fact that canyon won’t do ANYTHING to work with customer and get the dimensions they need just adds insult to injury. Then to throw acid on the burn they clearly make a bunch of other cockpit dimensions for pros that they just don’t sell. I’m pretty sure even the men’s zwift academy finalists got custom sized cockpits on their bikes. It’s seems like it would be so easy for them to make a few changes with the cockpit and this bike would be perfect.

Agree. But there is fundamentally just the one flaw with their engineering solution at the front of the bike: the move away from the normal steerer height adjustment into something very proprietary. If they had the normal stem attachment, like the previous aeroad, you could just buy a third party bar/stem or a combo, and be done with it. Lots of people would no doubt like the default cockpit and the way it disassembles for travel is undeniably clever. But the lack of ability to use third party parts PLUS the lack of Canyon-made parts in custom sizes is infuriating.

Lina

by Lina

skidz wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:10 am
Lina wrote:

You can. Take off the cockpit it comes with and replace it with whatever 1 1/4" stem you want.

skidz

by skidz

Lina wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:11 pm
skidz wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:10 am
Lina wrote:

You can. Take off the cockpit it comes with and replace it with whatever 1 1/4" stem you want.
Obvs. But I just meant request it with a different length cockpit.

rideitstereo

by rideitstereo

New Aeroad might be on the way.. :unbelievable:
Attachments
4A9056F9-88C1-4AE5-93EF-E77CE9BBECAC.jpeg

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Looks the same... just black. Might be MVDP's personal training workhorse.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

rideitstereo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:00 pm
Looks like the same exact CFR we all ride. Maybe 12-speed and tan sidewalls, but that's it.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

guanxi

by guanxi

Cannoli wrote:
rideitstereo wrote:
Looks like the same exact CFR we all ride. Maybe 12-speed and tan sidewalls, but that's it.
seems like the fork to downtube transition is a bit more defined and there seems to be a triangular part near the seatpost now suggesting a switch to a wedge type seatpost clamp. Also fork looks a tad bit slimmer now. Could be just some minor fixes to rectify the seatpost issue since the current one is already a really fast bike.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

Cannoli

by Cannoli

guanxi wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:14 am
Cannoli wrote:
rideitstereo wrote:
seems like the fork to downtube transition is a bit more defined and there seems to be a triangular part near the seatpost now suggesting a switch to a wedge type seatpost clamp. Also fork looks a tad bit slimmer now. Could be just some minor fixes to rectify the seatpost issue since the current one is already a really fast bike.

Having worked on the new Ultimate recently, I can see similarities with the seat-post clamp (triangular shape at the front bottom of the seat tube), but the fork transition (and width) look very much the same as the current CFR. They may be experimenting with a new clamping mechanism to reduce flex that is the culprit of the creaking noise that some have experienced. Good eye, @guanxi.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

rideitstereo wrote:New Aeroad might be on the way.. :unbelievable:
More custom cockpits Image. I don’t understand why they don’t just sell more of what they are already making.

illointhelead

by illointhelead

Hi there!

Long time, no posting on my side. Actually I was so annoyed after the original thread was deleted that I stopped contributing.
I was the one who posted the very first real life photo of the Aeroad back in the days. I have read all your posts though.

I finally sold my Aeroad SLX (Force AXS build; size L) after two and a half years of drama. Canyon bought it back for the original price.

Some info:
Apart from the handlebar issue which was no issue to most people (the original handlebar felt so much better!) and the seatpost fix which did not fix the problem with the seatpost, I - and three professional mechanics AND Canyon HQ (3times!) - did not get the AXS to work properly. Most parts were replaced and upgraded to Red on warranty by Sram. Still chaindrops all over the place! And all directions :shock:

So, the bike is dead, long live the new bike. Just not sure what it will be. To be honest, the Aeroad is so fast, comfortable and good-looking that it is still among the favourites (especially if the rumour with the seat clamp comes true). New seat clamp + Di2 and the old man would be happy :thumbup:

However, after the most recent tour test, the Cube c.68 x lightning race caught my attention. I am not a geometry guru but maybe one of you guys is and finds some 5 minutes. Which handlebar stem combo (and frame size) would I need to mimic the exact same (or as close as possible) position on a Cube C:68x Lightning compared to the Aeroad size L (with no spacers / lowest position) and narrowest wing-position (38cm?).

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/cube ... lx-2021-l/

Cube apparently offers no handlebars narrower than 40cm. If I went for a 120mm stem, it'd even be a 42cm handlebar. That's a bummer!

Thanks for your help!
All the best,
Chris
Small chainring? No thanks! :smartass:

wozzo

by wozzo

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:22 am
guanxi wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:14 am
Cannoli wrote:
rideitstereo wrote:

Having worked on the new Ultimate recently, I can see similarities with the seat-post clamp (triangular shape at the front bottom of the seat tube), but the fork transition (and width) look very much the same as the current CFR. They may be experimenting with a new clamping mechanism to reduce flex that is the culprit of the creaking noise that some have experienced. Good eye, @guanxi.
the photo is not of great quality (btw. Where did you spot it??), but from what I can see, the front part of the down tube is definitely profiled differently (aero) - it reminds me of the new Scott foil (if it's not paint or some kind of shadow?). when it comes to the seatposts, there are no doubts here, the return to the clamp at the top tube. it will certainly affect less deflection than the one we have now, but everyone will probably choose this over the annoying creak.

This is also clear now why there are some configs and sizes marked as sold out.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221218_124432_Chrome.jpg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

rideitstereo wrote:New Aeroad might be on the way.. :unbelievable:
Good spot this is 100% a new version. The biggest difference is the seatpost clamp. Seems like the clamp has moved from the back to the front part of the seatpost. Also that topcap looks taller, explains the more aggressive negative rise on the stem
Attachments
2023 Canyon Aeroad.png

djemz

by djemz

It's the same bike.. That's no different shape, it's the difference in color.between the top tube and downtube/seatpost tube.

Why would they release a new frame in such a short time.

And there are a lot in stock/delivery january/delivery april/... Even the cf sl with old 105.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com