The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvdrl

by dvdrl

polpy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:04 pm

I ordered a Avian Falcon II with matching spacer/adapter. I will post some pictures when it arrived.
Nice! Please do post pics when it's on the bike!

MDecius

by MDecius

To all of you guys who are riding 30s-32s on your ADH's and ADHX's, that must just feel like riding on a couch cushion!

I ride 25s at 6 bar on my ADH01, and it actually feels quite comfortable. I admit though that I have the privilege of doing 80% of my riding on roads in very good condition.

I am curious to try tubeless 28's when I wear out my current set of tires, but is it really going to change that much in your opinion?
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polpy

by polpy

MDecius wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:52 pm
To all of you guys who are riding 30s-32s on your ADH's and ADHX's, that must just feel like riding on a couch cushion!

I ride 25s at 6 bar on my ADH01, and it actually feels quite comfortable. I admit though that I have the privilege of doing 80% of my riding on roads in very good condition.

I am curious to try tubeless 28's when I wear out my current set of tires, but is it really going to change that much in your opinion?
I switch between TPU and tubeless on the bikes and to be honest, i dont feel that much of a difference at all (same bike, same wheelset, same tires).
The only thing that i found is that tubeless is less prone to flats. Road conditions here are also pretty good (black forest, germany, otherwise in the swiss alps) so i dont have many punctures anyway. If you are fine with tubes i see no reason to switch to tubeless.

velov

by velov

polpy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:46 pm
velov wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:24 am
That's a shame, Time frames deserve better components than what Deda makes.
yeah, i dont think that the Deda stuff is bad, there are certainly worse brands to partner with, buth with the beautiful RTM frames that Time makes, its a shame that we dont get fitting bars, stems or maybe even a one piece RTM combo.

They could even go as far as Factor and just supply a fitting bar stem and seatpost with the frameset.
I've got all Time components on my VXR and have seen a few Deda Superleggera bars and seatposts cut up to ever use them. The ADH will be getting Schmolke/Mcfk, should match the weave a lot better than matte carbon.

odonnebj

by odonnebj

MDecius wrote:

I swap back and forth between 26mm or 28mm Specialized Turbo tires with TPU tubes on my ADH01 w/ ENVE rim brake wheels (hooked). I honeslty can't tell much of a difference on the size. I was also running the same 28mm tire on my ADH Disc, however I had it setup as tubeless with the newer ENVE hookless disc brake wheels. I've had nothing but shit luck running tubeless so I sold the ENVEs and have gone back to hooked rims (Reserve) with TPU tubes. Sure, I would have had the same flats; however, I would not have been tyring to clean sealant out of my derailleurs, 3D printed saddle, and and rear brake. My last flat was an explosion like no other after running over god knows what. I only air my tires to 50psi too given my weight (56kg). I had to boot one of my flats once, and dealing with sealant was just horrible when taking the tire off on the side of the road. I also couldn't get the tire back on without help from a couple others. The interfernce fit on the ENVE hookless rims is so tight if you're trying to put a tube in it.

Back to your question though... you're not sacrificing ride quality with TPU vs. tubeless. I honestly couldn't tell the differnce riding the two different Time bikes. I would deal with the headache if it were leaps and bounds better. It's not. Sealant also weighs just as much a TPU tube, but after a few months you have to add more sealant when it dries up and then more again, etc.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

dvdrl wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:01 pm
The only thing deda specific is the use of DCR. Pretty sure it's easy enough to fit other stems or barstem combos.

I am glad I could choose my own seatpost because I don't tolerate setback. Time was a great proposition because I don't pay for stuff that doesn't fit me.
Got a Deda Superleggero. Looks good and is fairly light.
Same here. I went with the ADHX because of the clean DCR integration by Deda and generic 27.2mm seatpost. Also I want to choose my own width, length, setback, angles etc. so framesets that include a bar/stem combo like Cervelo or BMC, I would need to sell on these items and re-buy my own. The carbon integrated stuff is a bit too expensive to hand out generic sizes.

To me it was a plus that Time partnered with Deda.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

MDecius

by MDecius

polpy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:22 pm
MDecius wrote:

I switch between TPU and tubeless on the bikes and to be honest, i dont feel that much of a difference at all (same bike, same wheelset, same tires).
The only thing that i found is that tubeless is less prone to flats. Road conditions here are also pretty good (black forest, germany, otherwise in the swiss alps) so i dont have many punctures anyway. If you are fine with tubes i see no reason to switch to tubeless.
I agree, probably I will not see any major difference on the good quality roads other than some more comfort. But I like to tinker and optimize, so I would expect some improvement from dropping pressures on rough stuff.
odonnebj wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:36 am
MDecius wrote:

I swap back and forth between 26mm or 28mm Specialized Turbo tires with TPU tubes on my ADH01 w/ ENVE rim brake wheels (hooked). I honeslty can't tell much of a difference on the size. I was also running the same 28mm tire on my ADH Disc, however I had it setup as tubeless with the newer ENVE hookless disc brake wheels. I've had nothing but shit luck running tubeless so I sold the ENVEs and have gone back to hooked rims (Reserve) with TPU tubes. Sure, I would have had the same flats; however, I would not have been tyring to clean sealant out of my derailleurs, 3D printed saddle, and and rear brake. My last flat was an explosion like no other after running over god knows what. I only air my tires to 50psi too given my weight (56kg). I had to boot one of my flats once, and dealing with sealant was just horrible when taking the tire off on the side of the road. I also couldn't get the tire back on without help from a couple others. The interfernce fit on the ENVE hookless rims is so tight if you're trying to put a tube in it.

Back to your question though... you're not sacrificing ride quality with TPU vs. tubeless. I honestly couldn't tell the differnce riding the two different Time bikes. I would deal with the headache if it were leaps and bounds better. It's not. Sealant also weighs just as much a TPU tube, but after a few months you have to add more sealant when it dries up and then more again, etc.
Could you tell the difference going from 26 to 28, assuming you ever had the chance to ride back to back? I know there’s a lot of marketing hype around lower pressures but it’s always valuable to separate the hype from the real experience.

The main thing that attracts me to tubeless for my upcoming season is that I’m planning to do a couple events in the mountains with long descents. If the weather turns bad, I would like the peace of mind to not worry about blowing up my tubes. I could always run thick heavy weight butyl like I did last year, but that’s a big sacrifice in RR.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Personally, I believe the differences between tyre width and pressure are a bit overinflated. I ride bike with 24, 25, 30 and 35mm and sure, there is a noticeable difference especially between the largest and smallest, but the rides, speeds and comfort are overall similar.

If your butt hurts riding with 25mm tyres, it will still hurt with 30mm. If your comfort limit is 100km, it won't suddenly double by only upgrading tyre width. If you don't feel confident in a decent, 3 extra millimeters won't change that and if gravel is too rough for 25mm, it probably is too rough for 30mm too etc.

There are differences and if you have the opportunity, just try it out and see for yourself. Generally speaking I'd say the sweetspot lies around 28-30mm width as measured (note: this can also be 25mm tyres depending on the brand).
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

pemo

by pemo

MDecius wrote:
Do you know if it is possible to ride 30mm tires on an ADH21 or ADH23? Or is it really limited to 28mm?

Kind regards

pemo

by pemo

Deleted

MDecius

by MDecius

There’s someone above in this thread who posted an ADH 2023 with 28mm GP5k that were 30.5mm WAM, and that is apparently ok.

On the rim brake model I highly doubt anything over 28mm WAM fits. I have 25.5mm WAM right now and there is 3-4mm clearance all around, will be going to 28 when I wear through my rear tire and will post a picture.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i love the time bikes. they may not be the fastest or lightest but they are high quality and ride great

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

For those of you who like / want a rim brake bike, Time is doing a limited run of Alpe d'Huez framesets in a rim brake option. Frames are due to start production in early April and will ship in late April.

Interesting to note that unlike the AdHX and AdHX 45, the regular Alpe d'Huez still comes with a Quickset headset rather than the Deda headset. For some reason I thought that all of their framesets had gone to using the Deda.

Information here: https://shop.timebicycles.com/products/alpe-dhuez-rim

Guardian

by Guardian

Wish they'd do another run of the VXRS, though I know that will likely never happen...

odonnebj

by odonnebj

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm
For those of you who like / want a rim brake bike, Time is doing a limited run of Alpe d'Huez framesets in a rim brake option. Frames are due to start production in early April and will ship in late April.

Interesting to note that unlike the AdHX and AdHX 45, the regular Alpe d'Huez still comes with a Quickset headset rather than the Deda headset. For some reason I thought that all of their framesets had gone to using the Deda.

Information here: https://shop.timebicycles.com/products/alpe-dhuez-rim
Took a quick look and it appears to be the discontined ADH21 judging by the geometry / headset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com