The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

garbageman

by garbageman

inertianinja wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm
inertianinja wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that ADH23 has a 1-1/8" steerer and that Alpinist bar is for 31.8mm, so I don't think I'll work without an adapter or something.
Nope. 1 ⅛” steerer is what it’s designed to fit.
Also no bottom exit for cable routing with the DCR headset.
The Alpinist is designed for external routing, although it may be possible to adapt the DCR adapter to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What am I missing? Specialized's site says 31.8 and Time's site says 1-1/8"
"Clamp diameter" refers to the handlebar-stem interface, not the steerer tube. Use some common sense: why would Specialized make a cockpit/stem for 1.25" steerer tubes when their bikes use 1.125" steerers? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

garbageman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:41 pm
"Clamp diameter" refers to the handlebar-stem interface, not the steerer tube. Use some common sense: why would Specialized make a cockpit/stem for 1.25" steerer tubes when their bikes use 1.125" steerers? :noidea:
Which is pointless due to is being an integrated stem & bar. Someone at Specialized may have copied & pasted the details from another bar and forgotten to remove the line. Or they're dim.....

inertianinja

by inertianinja

garbageman wrote:
inertianinja wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:28 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm
inertianinja wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that ADH23 has a 1-1/8" steerer and that Alpinist bar is for 31.8mm, so I don't think I'll work without an adapter or something.
Nope. 1 ⅛” steerer is what it’s designed to fit.
Also no bottom exit for cable routing with the DCR headset.
The Alpinist is designed for external routing, although it may be possible to adapt the DCR adapter to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What am I missing? Specialized's site says 31.8 and Time's site says 1-1/8"
duh. my bad.

garbageman

by garbageman

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:59 pm
garbageman wrote:
Which is pointless due to is being an integrated stem & bar. Someone at Specialized may have copied & pasted the details from another bar and forgotten to remove the line. Or they're dim.....
Agreed. At first, I thought they were specifying that the bar is standard 31.8mm diameter in the "clamp" area (for mounting accessories), but it doesn't look like that's even the case.
To stay on topic, I think the Alpinist SL cockpit would look a bit strange with the external cable routing and slim profile transitioning to the wide headtube on the ADH2023.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Here's my initial build photo for my ADH23, Size M, Force D2.

Customization so far - BlackInc TWENTY wheels (Conti GP5k, RideNow TPU tubes), Selle Italia Boost SLR Carbon saddle)
I have a Retul fit appointment next week, but I did a general fit and took a ride on it this morning, and it felt great.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this bike. It's everything people say it would be, although it feels heavier than I expected. I haven't weighed the frameset, though, as the bike came almost fully built and I don't have the time to disassemble it now.

Only criticism so far is that IMO the stock handlebar/stem setup don't fit this bike. The Superbox DCR and Superzero Alloy bar, in my humble opinion, are too bulky for the ADH. After the fit I plan to get something overall lighter and less chunky.

Also, tangentially, I went a size narrower on the bars this time. To my surprise, it felt much weirder than I thought it would - I will probably go back to my normal size when I upgrade the bars.

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

inertianinja wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:12 pm

Customization so far - BlackInc TWENTY wheels (Conti GP5k, RideNow TPU tubes), Selle Italia Boost SLR Carbon saddle)
I have a Retul fit appointment next week, but I did a general fit and took a ride on it this morning, and it felt great.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this bike. It's everything people say it would be, although it feels heavier than I expected. I haven't weighed the frameset, though, as the bike came almost fully built and I don't have the time to disassemble it now.

Only criticism so far is that IMO the stock handlebar/stem setup don't fit this bike. The Superbox DCR and Superzero Alloy bar, in my humble opinion, are too bulky for the ADH. After the fit I plan to get something overall lighter and less chunky.

Also, tangentially, I went a size narrower on the bars this time. To my surprise, it felt much weirder than I thought it would - I will probably go back to my normal size when I upgrade the bars.

looks good in black and the new force also looks really clean and sharp. whats the weight of the whole build? unfortunately I keep hearing people talking about how its not a light bike which is really disheartening for me. mine better be min 500g lighter than my madone slr when its done or I wont keep it.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

theyoungconnoisseur wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:50 pm
inertianinja wrote:

looks good in black and the new force also looks really clean and sharp. whats the weight of the whole build? unfortunately I keep hearing people talking about how its not a light bike which is really disheartening for me. mine better be min 500g lighter than my madone slr when its done or I wont keep it.
Sure. When buying it I knew it was not the lightest (i.e. not an Aethos), and I figured

Caveat that this is on a shitty bahtroom scale. Full build right now is around 17.4lb, which includes everything below:

Frameset, Size M, black gloss (lightest colorway) uncut steerer + all spacers
Force D2 50/34 chainrings, 172.5mm cranks, 10-33 cassette
Deda SuperZero post
Deda SuperZero Alloy bars
Deda Superbox stem
Selle Italia SLR Boost carbon saddle
Blackinc TWENTY wheels (also intentionally not the lightest)
Conti GP5k tires @ 28mm
RideNow TPU tubes
Look Keo Max 2 pedals
Stock arundel tape
Aliexpress carbon cages
QuadLock out front mount (aluminum)
Stock Thru-Axles
Stock Problem Solvers rotor lockrings
Some helicopter tape on the cranks/etc.

I think it should be easy to drop 250+g from upgrading the bar/stem/post.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

inertianinja wrote:

So what is full build weight?

edit: 17,4 lbs = 7,89 kg. Not that bad with Force and with not that light bar, stem and seatpost.

Time buyers should remember how these frames are built. RTM is not the way to build light frames as you make one tube at once. I think it's alot easier to leave extra carbon layup away if you just glue carbon pieces together. And white paint (or any other light colour) can weight up to 200g more than black.

Just to compare my M-size AdH 01 ulteam rim brake frame weight was 877 g and AKTIV fork massive 640 g. :mrgreen: AKTIV was like +250 g heavier option than normal.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Kumppa wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 5:59 pm
inertianinja wrote:

So what is full build weight?

edit: 17,4 lbs = 7,89 kg. Not that bad with Force and with not that light bar, stem and seatpost.

Time buyers should remember how these frames are built. RTM is not the way to build light frames as you make one tube at once. I think it's alot easier to leave extra carbon layup away if you just glue carbon pieces together. And white paint (or any other light colour) can weight up to 200g more than black.

Just to compare my M-size AdH 01 ulteam rim brake frame weight was 877 g and AKTIV fork massive 640 g. :mrgreen: AKTIV was like +250 g heavier option than normal.
I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't buy it for ultimate lightness - if i was going that way, i would have gotten an Aethos. I bought it because I have always wanted a Time bike, and having a RTM frame I knew was something special.

Long term if this bike really works out for me, I might look to upgrade it to whatever the next version of SRAM Red is.
Just going to the Superleggera versions of the post/bar/stem would be about 250g - between those parts and Red I'm sure I could drop another pound. Maybe even go 1X.

Side note about RTM I wonder if some of the inconsistent frame weights are from some wax being left behind in the tubes. hm.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Kumppa wrote:
Time buyers should remember how these frames are built. RTM is not the way to build light frames as you make one tube at once. I think it's alot easier to leave extra carbon layup away if you just glue carbon pieces together
RTM is not the way to make light frames? Time were making sub kilo frames 15 years ago. Their VXRS had an integrated mast and still was barely 1kg. Pretty sure they could make their frame lighter but choose not to because they don't want to have to deal with pissed off customers whose frame break in the most innocuous crash. The likes of Specialized, Trek & Canyon have enough margin in their frame pricing to absorb a few "warranty" frames for angry customers. Smaller builders like Time don't have that luxury.

sawyer

by sawyer

The old Times, before discs, were things of great beauty.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

MDecius

by MDecius

ultimobici wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:26 am
Kumppa wrote:
Time buyers should remember how these frames are built. RTM is not the way to build light frames as you make one tube at once. I think it's alot easier to leave extra carbon layup away if you just glue carbon pieces together
RTM is not the way to make light frames? Time were making sub kilo frames 15 years ago. Their VXRS had an integrated mast and still was barely 1kg. Pretty sure they could make their frame lighter but choose not to because they don't want to have to deal with pissed off customers whose frame break in the most innocuous crash. The likes of Specialized, Trek & Canyon have enough margin in their frame pricing to absorb a few "warranty" frames for angry customers. Smaller builders like Time don't have that luxury.
And Time still offers a lightweight <900g frame that's fully made with RTM, the ADH01! Proud owner :)
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

Kumppa

by Kumppa

ultimobici wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:26 am
I mean making a whole frame tube at once from dry carbon fiber socks is limiting how much you can take excess carbon off from one part of the tube. Like doing just the top of the toptube 0,5 mm thin for weight save and ends of the toptube 2 mm thick. Perhaps they could make it but it would take alot more time to weave those carbon socks and assemble them on mold.

Not exactly the same comparing weights of older carbon frames with narrower tubes for modern fatty looking frames. Even 01's tubes are wider than they looks. And for me a light frame is something like <800g. But who buy Time frame just for the weight? Buy light weight components if you want light Time. :D

jlidds

by jlidds

Updated now with complete build images.

Final weight came in at 7.1 kg with pedals and cages. All in. Most importantly, it rides and handles exceptionally. Objectively, it's not as snappy as some of my other bikes (Aurum Magma comes to mind) but for most of my style of riding this is the go-to bike, hands down. If I was going on a ride 150km + this would be the stand out. The handling is the most noticeable characteristic after my first few rides. Descending is just a dream. It's very planted.

Suggestions for a nice 3K gloss seat post welcomed. I’m considering Schmolke but I don’t love the crazy light seat posts that much. I can’t work out whether to match the frame with a glossy seat post or match the cockpit with a matte finish seat post.

Specs
Frame: Time Alpe d’Huez 23 (Small)*
Group set: Shimano Dura Ace 9270 (11-30, 172,5mm)
Power meter: Rotor Aldhu carbon with Power2Max NG spider
Wheels: Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra (yeah, I know, Shimano and Campag together. Whatever)
Tyres: Vittoria N.EXT 28mm tubeless
Bars: EXS Aerover integrated (400 x 110) with omputer mount
Cages: Arundel Mandible 3K gloss
Saddle: Repente Quasar CR carbon
Seat post: Roval Terra (temporary but it’s actually really nice)
OSPW: CeramicSpeed

*I’m 178.5cm with a longer than average in seam. 765mm from top eof saddle to centre BB. This bike fits perfectly.
Attachments
4.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Tarmac S-Works SL6
Tarmac S-Works SL7
Tarmac S-Works SL8
Venge S-Works
Look 695
Look 795 Blade RS
Aurum Magma
Time Alpe d'Huez 23
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Lab71 (for sale)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

jlidds wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:46 pm
Updated now with complete build images.

Final weight came in at 7.1 kg with pedals and cages. All in. Most importantly, it rides and handles exceptionally. Objectively, it's not as snappy as some of my other bikes (Aurum Magma comes to mind) but for most of my style of riding this is the go-to bike, hands down. If I was going on a ride 150km + this would be the stand out. The handling is the most noticeable characteristic after my first few rides. Descending is just a dream. It's very planted.

Suggestions for a nice 3K gloss seat post welcomed. I’m considering Schmolke but I don’t love the crazy light seat posts that much. I can’t work out whether to match the frame with a glossy seat post or match the cockpit with a matte finish seat post.

Specs
Frame: Time Alpe d’Huez 23 (Small)*
Group set: Shimano Dura Ace 9270 (11-30, 172,5mm)
Power meter: Rotor Aldhu carbon with Power2Max NG spider
Wheels: Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra (yeah, I know, Shimano and Campag together. Whatever)
Tyres: Vittoria N.EXT 28mm tubeless
Bars: EXS Aerover integrated (400 x 110) with omputer mount
Cages: Arundel Mandible 3K gloss
Saddle: Repente Quasar CR carbon
Seat post: Roval Terra (temporary but it’s actually really nice)
OSPW: CeramicSpeed

*I’m 178.5cm with a longer than average in seam. 765mm from top eof saddle to centre BB. This bike fits perfectly.
Question about the bars - I saw in the other thread that the cable exit for the brake hoses is in a weird spot. did you find that to be an issue?