The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nikospeed

by nikospeed

TBH this looks like a std AdH21 (this is why the Darimo SP fits) Disc to me...haven't seen any announcement from Time anywhere wrt new bike release (after the ADHX). Would be surprised if they were not increasing clearance with any new bike...but then maybe I missed sth?🤔

Kumppa

by Kumppa

nikospeed wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 pm
TBH this looks like a std AdH21 (this is why the Darimo SP fits) Disc to me...haven't seen any announcement from Time anywhere wrt new bike release (after the ADHX). Would be surprised if they were not increasing clearance with any new bike...but then maybe I missed sth?🤔
This don't have any brake and derailleur ports on downtube. Also this V21 colour (carbon/white text) is not stock colour from Time site.

Haven't seen any news about the new frame but it seems like there is something coming out later on and this might be it. But this just look like standard AdH21 with integrated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

This is a really weird launch with nothing official from Time. A bit disappointing to be honest.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

steveadore

by steveadore

I have the 2023 ADH "highlights" catalog (received it from Time customer service about a month ago). And this has also been discussed in the Time FB group. Very briefly, the ADH21 will be discontinued, the ADH01 lives on as a rim brake model (with the Quickset headset and the proprietary seatpost), and the new ADH2023 will be disc only (with the same Deda S-DCR headset and internal cable routing and standard 27.2mm seatpost as the ADHX) and Bio-Dyneema added to the frame.
What I find confusing is the following (and I'm copying this straight out of the Time catalog: "WHEEL SIZE 700c, ETRTO 38–622, MAXIMUM TYRE WIDTH 28C"

There are 3 colorways: V21 carbon-white, V23 chroma-pink, and V22 chroma-red

I strongly suspect that the ETRTO 38 is a typo, and the tire width limit will still be 28 mm (as on the current 01 and 21 models). Otherwise (with 38 mm width) it would be identical with the ADHX

RDY

by RDY

I'd guess the person who put it together doesn't know what ETRTO numbers refer to and they copy pasted it from the ADHX.

steveadore

by steveadore

RDY wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:18 pm
I'd guess the person who put it together doesn't know what ETRTO numbers refer to and they copy pasted it from the ADHX.
That was exactly my thought too :D

velov

by velov

I wonder if the current AdH21 could be made fully internal by just replacing the fork to the new one...

steveadore

by steveadore

velov wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:22 am
I wonder if the current AdH21 could be made fully internal by just replacing the fork to the new one...
You cannot, I guess, because the ADH21 has a Quickset headset with the threaded alloy collar bonded on the fork steerer. The new ADH with internal cable routing has a Deda S-DCR headset, where the upper bearing is a 1.5" cartridge (so the head tube must be wider and differently shaped).
To be honest, I don't value internal routing (though this Deda system is one of the best), as it makes things so much more complicated for home mechanics). The aerodynamic gains are marginal, but serviceability suffers a lot.

Lina

by Lina

steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:15 am
velov wrote:
You cannot, I guess, because the ADH21 has a Quickset headset with the threaded alloy collar bonded on the fork steerer. The new ADH with internal cable routing has a Deda S-DCR headset, where the upper bearing is a 1.5" cartridge (so the head tube must be wider and differently shaped).
To be honest, I don't value internal routing (though this Deda system is one of the best), as it makes things so much more complicated for home mechanics). The aerodynamic gains are marginal, but serviceability suffers a lot.
Serviceability is not that much worse with a sensible system, like the Deda S-DCR system is.

steveadore

by steveadore

Lina wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:44 am
steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:15 am
velov wrote:
Serviceability is not that much worse with a sensible system, like the Deda S-DCR system is.
It is certainly more sensible than some others, BUT for me the question is: Can one replace a headset bearing without touching hydraulic brake lines or not?

otnemem

by otnemem

nikospeed wrote:
That's what it looks like because they barely changed the mold. They added dyneema to the carbon mix, changed just enough in the headtube/steerer like the ADHX to hide the cables and called it a day.

Instead of playing catch-up, they basically stayed stationary. Ah well.

steveadore

by steveadore

otnemem wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:50 pm
nikospeed wrote:
That's what it looks like because they barely changed the mold. They added dyneema to the carbon mix, changed just enough in the headtube/steerer like the ADHX to hide the cables and called it a day.

Instead of playing catch-up, they basically stayed stationary. Ah well.
I've read somewhere that they still sell quite a lot of rim brake models (there's clearly demand, especially when almost no other reputable manufacturer has new carbon frames for rim brakes). And I appreciate that they've kept the ADH01 for that. But they could have made the tire clearance wider on the new ADH2023 disc. And by the same token, also made the ADHX into a proper gravel bike.
As someone who's still very much interested in getting a Time ADH21 rim brake version (from existing stock), I'm fine with the 28mm tire limitation.
But if I were switching to disc, I'd probably get the ADHX instead of the 2023 ADH

mathemagician

by mathemagician

steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 am
It is certainly more sensible than some others, BUT for me the question is: Can one replace a headset bearing without touching hydraulic brake lines or not?
I have a current model AdH21 so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I've always wondered why people get so worked up about how easy or not it is to replace headset bearings. How often are you doing it- so much that it becomes a deal breaker? So you've got to disconnect a couple of hydraulic lines and bleed some brake...who cares? Hoses for all 3 groupset manufacturers can be disconnected at the shifter, so it's not like they have to be routed through the frame again. I just don't get the big deal.

steveadore

by steveadore

mathemagician wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 am
I have a current model AdH21 so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I've always wondered why people get so worked up about how easy or not it is to replace headset bearings. How often are you doing it- so much that it becomes a deal breaker? So you've got to disconnect a couple of hydraulic lines and bleed some brake...who cares? Hoses for all 3 groupset manufacturers can be disconnected at the shifter, so it's not like they have to be routed through the frame again. I just don't get the big deal.
Slightly off topic: I didn't mean to open up a can of worms, so let's just agree (to disagree and) that opinions on this are divided. Unless you ride an aero bike where every watt counts, I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. In any case, it's not up to us now that most manufacturers are going for full internal routing. I'll stick to non-internal as long as there are options available.

To return to the topic itself, the more important question for me is whether it was worth giving up the Quickset headset (which has been praised, including on this forum, as superior to conventional headsets and steerers with compression plugs) for a conventional headset for the sake of cable routing. It's an honest question on my part. I've actually been wondering if there might be drawbacks to the Quickset (I've read some older comments about adjustment issues, premature wear etc.), though most Time owners praise them and I can certainly see the structural advantages it offers. So has Time given up too much for the sake of keeping up visually and "aerodynamically" with much of the competition? Or is it better to have a conventional headset (with two standard 1.5" cartridge bearings) in the long run than a proprietary system with unique bearings, the availability of which might become an issue later on?

velov

by velov

I've had some issues with the Quickset headset on my VXR, but nothing serious enough to stop me from riding. Personally, I couldn't care less about aerodynamics, if I got paid to ride then I probably would. Ride quality and aesthetics are the two most important factors for me. And aesthetically I think a clean front end does look better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com