The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

simbikotic wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:36 am
Another data point on Time frameset weights vs claims. My ADH 01 rim frame arrived recently: Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172673

More details in the main thread but the headline news is:
Frame Size S: 955g - with as much hardware removed as possible (but not all, some bits were hard)
Fork: 368g
Seatpost: 153g

The claimed weight for ADH 01 is <900g. I assume that's the weight of the carbon part, so given that I could not get all hardware off that seems about consistent with the claim. The total weight of the hardware I was able to remove is 155g, for reference.
So my 56 size frame with BB bearings and headset bearings, RD hanger FD hanger and seatpost clamp, at 900g is quite light anyway :-)
New fork (297g) easily taking 30mm tires (frame does to) would be quite a deal lighter.

I guess you would need a bottom bracket installed to (955+155 = 1110g) + BB weight?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

mathemagician wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:32 pm
steveadore wrote:
mathemagician wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:51 pm
steveadore wrote:A quick question for those of you who have used the ADH01 or ADH21 rim brake models with mechanical shifting: Is it possible to replace shifter (gear) cables without removing the bottom bracket? Or is that necessary in order to access the plastic cable guide there? Or do the white liner sheaths installed in the frame meant to enable the replacement of cables without having to remove the crankset and the BB (if one uses a one piece or thread together BB)?
I was wondering this myself as I left the cable guides in when I installed gear cables (disc brake 21 but mechanical gears so the principle is the same. Shifting seems fine... occasionally a little hesitant downshifting (into smaller cogs/harder gears) when down in the 11T/12T/13T, but generally fine so I've left the cable guides in.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk
Those are meant to be left in, right? But then, they might need to be replace at some point too
Yea, I assumed they were supposed to be left in. Replacing cables has been easy- just a case of feeding them through the guides. I think I removed the exit port on the chainstay one time to get the cable out the other end but still a simple enough job.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk
A couple of alternative approaches, both of which I have tried in the past. They work but can be fiddly.
1. Remove the cable liners after fitting the cables, but keep them in your toolbox and thread them back over the old cable before removing it, thus they are in place to guide the new cable.
2. Pull the old wire slightly out of the shifter an snip the stop off, pull out of the shifter. Use a (good, hot) soldering iron to solder the end of the new wire to the old one (avoid overlap and lumps) and pull the new wire through with the old one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simbikotic

by simbikotic

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:45 am
simbikotic wrote:
Another data point on Time frameset weights vs claims. My ADH 01 rim frame arrived recently: Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172673

Frame Size S: 955g - with as much hardware removed as possible (but not all, some bits were hard)

The claimed weight for ADH 01 is <900g. I assume that's the weight of the carbon part, so given that I could not get all hardware off that seems about consistent with the claim. The total weight of the hardware I was able to remove is 155g, for reference.
So my 56 size frame with BB bearings and headset bearings, RD hanger FD hanger and seatpost clamp, at 900g is quite light anyway :-)
New fork (297g) easily taking 30mm tires (frame does to) would be quite a deal lighter.

I guess you would need a bottom bracket installed to (955+155 = 1110g) + BB weight?
Oh nice - you got a light one. Congrats! Yes - I still need to press the bb cups in, their weight is not included.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

simbikotic wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:56 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
simbikotic wrote:

Oh nice - you got a light one. Congrats! Yes - I still need to press the bb cups in, their weight is not included.
What BB will you use? I would use a DUB version.

I wonder what a medium raw carbon would weight :noidea:
I still think it would be great. I just tweaked my position so i ride my bike with a -17 stem.
I don't know how dustcap + needed spacer hight is (frame stack 562-563mm), mine is 585mm with dustcap.
A -17 stem (stack 46mm) at 130mm has a 27mm stack. A -6 stem (stack 42mm) at 130mm have a stack at 50mm.
So i would need to deduct 23mm on my frame to ride it with a -6 degree stem.
Then it would be 585-23 = 563mm including dustcap + spacer needed.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

Finally swapped the handlebar tape :)

inertianinja

by inertianinja

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 am
simbikotic wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
simbikotic wrote:

I still think it would be great. I just tweaked my position so i ride my bike with a -17 stem.
I don't know how dustcap + needed spacer hight is (frame stack 562-563mm), mine is 585mm with dustcap.
A -17 stem (stack 46mm) at 130mm has a 27mm stack. A -6 stem (stack 42mm) at 130mm have a stack at 50mm.
My Medium raw carbon just arrived....however it came fully built up and I definitely do not have the time to tear it down completely just to weigh the frameset.

It does not feel like an ultra WW bike but one ride in, it feels pretty good, and I'm just going to accept it and move on :)

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

what are my integrated handlebar choices for the new alpe dhuez? I dont know what all is needed to have sleek and clean looking headset cap and spacers on the bike since im building from the frame up without any included bars etc.
deff want as light as possible 6-700$ budget

Cannoli

by Cannoli

inertianinja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:04 am
simbikotic wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

My Medium raw carbon just arrived....however it came fully built up and I definitely do not have the time to tear it down completely just to weigh the frameset.

It does not feel like an ultra WW bike but one ride in, it feels pretty good, and I'm just going to accept it and move on :)
What build did you go with? DA? Ultegra? SRAM? What wheels? Curious what the dressed weight is.

Thanks!
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Cannoli wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:49 am
inertianinja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm

What build did you go with? DA? Ultegra? SRAM? What wheels? Curious what the dressed weight is.

Thanks!
SRAM Force D2, BlackInc Twenty wheels, Selle Italia Boost Superflow carbon saddle.

Still have the stock seat post and cockpit, which are not WW. Not yet sure what I'm going to swap these to.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

theyoungconnoisseur wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:58 pm
what are my integrated handlebar choices for the new alpe dhuez? I dont know what all is needed to have sleek and clean looking headset cap and spacers on the bike since im building from the frame up without any included bars etc.
I'm looking for one as well. It needs to have a cable exit on the bottom of the stem for the DCR headset.

So far:
Black Inc Aero, ~398g, $675, 80mm reach
Deda Alenara, ~375g, $900+, 75mm reach
The one pro, ~398g, $200, 73mm reach
Farsports F1S, 325g, $400, 73mm reach

Claimed weights, I haven't looked for actuals yet. The Alanera looks best IMO but crazy expensive.

Still searching :)

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

inertianinja wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:05 am
I'm looking for one as well. It needs to have a cable exit on the bottom of the stem for the DCR headset.

So far:

Claimed weights, I haven't looked for actuals yet. The Alanera looks best IMO but crazy expensive.

will these fit? https://www.cyclesport.com/product/rova ... HgQAvD_BwE

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Sun May 21, 2023 4:13 am
inertianinja wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:05 am

So far:

will these fit? https://www.cyclesport.com/product/rova ... HgQAvD_BwE

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that ADH23 has a 1-1/8" steerer and that Alpinist bar is for 31.8mm, so I don't think I'll work without an adapter or something.

Also no bottom exit for cable routing with the DCR headset.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

inertianinja wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that ADH23 has a 1-1/8" steerer and that Alpinist bar is for 31.8mm, so I don't think I'll work without an adapter or something.
Nope. 1 ⅛” steerer is what it’s designed to fit.
The Alpinist is designed for external routing, although it may be possible to adapt the DCR adapter to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inertianinja

by inertianinja

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 pm
inertianinja wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think that ADH23 has a 1-1/8" steerer and that Alpinist bar is for 31.8mm, so I don't think I'll work without an adapter or something.
Nope. 1 ⅛” steerer is what it’s designed to fit.
The Alpinist is designed for external routing, although it may be possible to adapt the DCR adapter to work.

What am I missing? Specialized's site says 31.8 and Time's site says 1-1/8"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

inertianinja wrote:What am I missing? Specialized's site says 31.8 and Time's site says 1-1/8"
Someone at Specialized is a little dim.