The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burritoh

by burritoh

Just saw this. Old news?
Stoked if this is really happening!
https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/lo ... 042475007/

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I think this was announced today (Thursday).

Some additional details at https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indust ... B0MsFHMKJA

Is Time going to eventually shut its Slovakia factory and move all production to South Carolina (USA)? That would complete the hillbillyfication of a once proud French company, with headquarters in Arkansas and factory in South Carolina. Hopefully the quality won't suffer,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

I imagine quality will suffer and prices will rise. It should be much easier for them to sell at nose bleed prices in Murica with a US flag on it.

Difficult to imagine that they intend to keep the Slovakian plant open with 140k sq ft of new space.

MDecius

by MDecius

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:53 am
I imagine quality will suffer and prices will rise. It should be much easier for them to sell at nose bleed prices in Murica with a US flag on it.

Difficult to imagine that they intend to keep the Slovakian plant open with 140k sq ft of new space.
It's hard for me to understand why this would make sense for them, without knowing their financial situation.

Not sure there would be a dramatic difference in cost of labour in the US compared to Slovakia. Not like they are moving to the Far East...

I've seen it reported a few times that certain state governments agree to grant tax holidays to corporations willing to invest in local operations, sometimes to the point where states actually bid against each other, voluntarily driving a better bargain for the company just to get the investment. That could certainly be a motivator if it's the case.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

glepore

by glepore

They are a carbon fiber company, not just a bicycle company. Lots of auto industry in that area, and they plan to do RTM products etc for them.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

rollinslow

by rollinslow

HammerTime2 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:46 am
I think this was announced today (Thursday).

Some additional details at https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indust ... B0MsFHMKJA

Is Time going to eventually shut its Slovakia factory and move all production to South Carolina (USA)? That would complete the hillbillyfication of a once proud French company, with headquarters in Arkansas and factory in South Carolina. Hopefully the quality won't suffer,

That sounds like you're harboring quite a lot of prejudice for no reason. Keep those comments to yourself.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

RedRacer

by RedRacer

dhalbrook wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:25 pm
I've been wondering why the BB is so high (65mm bb drop) in the Time Alpe d'Huez and Look 785. Did it start out as a crit bike? I'd love to eventually get an Alpe d'Huez (2023, 01, 21, whatever) but I'm a bit hung up on this number. Does anyone know the story behind this?
Same question ... the 2023 ADH has caught my attention but I am curious how the 65mm BB drop will feel comapred to the 70-72mm I am used to. Maybe a non-issue, assuming I want a very agile and responsive chassis?

Where is the 2023 ADH frameset made?

Any thoughts on how laterally stiff the ADH would be compared to an S-Works SL7, SuperSix EVO or Diamante?

My rims are 31mm/23mm ID so hopefully a 28C Conti, Pirelli or Michelin will fit :noidea:

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

Lets hope Time doesn't go woke by going to the USA

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

uncle-gee wrote:Lets hope Time doesn't go woke by going to the USA
Huh??

Moving to SC, that’s highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveadore

by steveadore

With all the news circulating, the single most important question is really whether Time can effectively lead the way towards a new bike manufacturing model by operating 2 plants, one in Slovakia, Europe, and one in SC, USA. I'm not aware of anyone else doing this (except for, say, Trek or Cannondale or Colnago making their halo frames in house, while outsourcing the rest to Taiwan back in the day).
If (and that is a big IF, since it's base purely on speculations here and there) the opening of the SC factory means the imminent end of European production, that's no good news for Time fans in Europe since prices are likely to increase (due to tariffs and transportation costs). It would be great to know what the owners' plans are regarding the Slovakian factory.

Aress

by Aress

From beeing made by hand in france by grandmas to beeing made at the other side of the world in a soulless factory
RIP Time, get your frame while you can

steveadore

by steveadore

Aress wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:17 am
From beeing made by hand in france by grandmas to beeing made at the other side of the world in a soulless factory
The "other side" of the world is always relative to which side you're on though, right? :D The question is whether the EU factory will survive

velov

by velov

uncle-gee wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:08 am
Lets hope Time doesn't go woke by going to the USA
What are you even talking about? Keep your pitchforks for Facebook

Aress

by Aress

steveadore wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:21 pm
Aress wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:17 am
The "other side" of the world is always relative to which side you're on though, right? :D The question is whether the EU factory will survive
Time leaving France was already a blunder. If Time leaves EU it will be a complet blunder and there is no world where quality doesnt suffer

otnemem

by otnemem

Blunder after blunder. With every move they make, including new product releases, they lose cachet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com