The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

polpy

by polpy

I could imagine that since they moved production to slovakia (or slovenia? Always mix them up) they wanted to not change to many things at once. On the other hand, i have yet to get my hands on one of the new frames to validate tire clearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kitchencity

by kitchencity

JasonFly wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:21 pm
Quite disappointed by the new model, it looks nothing more than a more expensive version of the old alpe 21...

My hope at this point is that they had plans for a true refresh of the range, but that they were not ready for 2023 and had to come up with a stopgap solution.
Almost identical to the ADHX including geometry as far as I can see. Will be interested to see if it's meaningfully lighter...

otnemem

by otnemem

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 am
otnemem wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am
So thin is the clearance that it'll scrape anything inflating to more than that.
You refer to the new AdH disc here? Really absolutely no room for anything more than 28 WAM?
Same clearances as old model. Check Andy's review shared above. 30mm tires will scrape the frame/fork.

@JasonFly: They had been hinting they were working on the (this) new frame even before launching the ADHX, so my money is on this being it for a good few more years - which is why I gave up on my new bike being a Time. No way am I committing to a frame that belongs in 2010.

velov

by velov

I'm running 28mm Corsa's that measure close to 29-30 on 21 internal Roval wheels, could even run 30mm on my Fulcrum Zeros...plenty for a road bike imo.

dhalbrook

by dhalbrook

Yoln wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 am
Any idea about the weight of the new ADH?
I emailed them and got a prompt reply from Tony:

"Raw frame weight is 875 grams and the forks come in at 385 grams. The different finishes can add anywhere between 30 - 60 grams."

I really wish they offered the ADHX finishes on the new ADH -- they are stunning. And why, oh why, the BB drop of 65mm?

dhalbrook

by dhalbrook

kitchencity wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:24 pm
JasonFly wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:21 pm
Quite disappointed by the new model, it looks nothing more than a more expensive version of the old alpe 21...

My hope at this point is that they had plans for a true refresh of the range, but that they were not ready for 2023 and had to come up with a stopgap solution.
Almost identical to the ADHX including geometry as far as I can see. Will be interested to see if it's meaningfully lighter...
Hmm, the geometry of the ADHX looks pretty different to the ADH to me:

ADH:

ADHX:

steveadore

by steveadore

I see more similarities than differences. In size M, for example: seat tube on the ADHX is barely 1cm taller, HTA is half a degree slacker (could be much slacker for a self-proclaimed gravel bike), head tube is much lower BUT stack is identical (i.e. and the thicker tires mean a longer fork crown to axle). Even the chainstay is barely 10cm longer.
I agree with all those who consider the ADHX more of an endurance (or at most a "fast" gravel/CX) bike. If I were going for a disc brake Time, I'd definitely opt for an ADHX as I would then run 30 or 32 mm tires AND a mechanical 2x groupset.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

steveadore wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:31 am
I see more similarities than differences. In size M, for example: seat tube on the ADHX is barely 1cm taller, HTA is half a degree slacker (could be much slacker for a self-proclaimed gravel bike), head tube is much lower BUT stack is identical (i.e. and the thicker tires mean a longer fork crown to axle). Even the chainstay is barely 10cm longer.
I agree with all those who consider the ADHX more of an endurance (or at most a "fast" gravel/CX) bike. If I were going for a disc brake Time, I'd definitely opt for an ADHX as I would then run 30 or 32 mm tires AND a mechanical 2x groupset.
This is what I was thinking as my V2R Colnago has the same angles as the gravel bike. I know for the road I will stick with 28s as they work for me in my area so a Time would be fine for me. If running tubulars then the 30s might actually fit in the frame cause tubs typically measure out to given sizes.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

dhalbrook

by dhalbrook

steveadore wrote:
1cm in BB height is a pretty significant difference, as are the wheelbases. That said, it's the difference between an all-road bike and a road bike, not a true gravel bike and a road bike. If the ADHX was a lighter frame (~1050g IIRC) I would be all over it. Still tempted by it as it's a gorgeous looking frame.

steveadore

by steveadore

dhalbrook wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:28 pm
steveadore wrote:
1cm in BB height is a pretty significant difference, as are the wheelbases. That said, it's the difference between an all-road bike and a road bike, not a true gravel bike and a road bike. If the ADHX was a lighter frame (~1050g IIRC) I would be all over it. Still tempted by it as it's a gorgeous looking frame.
True that. And mind you, the BB drop of the ADH2023 is bordering on traditional CX territory, so the 1cm lower BB drop on the ADHX is not so radical (in fact, quite ok for endurance road riding).

JasonFly

by JasonFly

otnemem wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 am
mrlobber wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 am
otnemem wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am
So thin is the clearance that it'll scrape anything inflating to more than that.
You refer to the new AdH disc here? Really absolutely no room for anything more than 28 WAM?
Same clearances as old model. Check Andy's review shared above. 30mm tires will scrape the frame/fork.

@JasonFly: They had been hinting they were working on the (this) new frame even before launching the ADHX, so my money is on this being it for a good few more years - which is why I gave up on my new bike being a Time. No way am I committing to a frame that belongs in 2010.
Are you sure this is the new frame they were working on? I have to ask because frankly speaking I struggle to find any meaningful novelty on the 2023 model...
Changes from ADH01:
- different headset to internally route the cables, but nothing new, see ADHX;
- slighlty different geometry (why? what are the upside/benefit of this change?);
- new colors;
- different seatpost, but nothing new, see ADH21 and ADHX.

When AdHX came out, the news was on almost every cycling online magazine, while this model has been launched completely under the radar.
Quite telling in my opinion, as if they were not willing to invest to promote what could be just a stopgap model.

I was not asking for a radical change. A few minor improvement like better tyre clearance, a new stem + handlebar combo and a little weight saving would have been enough to tempt me to buy, but now I find no reason to...

If this is really the new ADH, I can only wait for the referesh of Scylon, hoping it will be better!

eric01

by eric01

Bike rumor has a description of the differences. They added dyneema fibers for better impact resistance and the change in geometry is to have more linear stack/reach across the sizes.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

velov

by velov

JasonFly wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:12 pm

I was not asking for a radical change. A few minor improvement like better tyre clearance, a new stem + handlebar combo and a little weight saving would have been enough to tempt me to buy, but now I find no reason to...
What for you might be minor changes, are significant financial outlays for a relatively small company like Time. I'm extremely happy with mine.

JasonFly

by JasonFly

velov wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 am
JasonFly wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:12 pm

What for you might be minor changes, are significant financial outlays for a relatively small company like Time. I'm extremely happy with mine.
Yeah, maybe, but I am still disappointed...
I was very close to buy the old model, but since bar + stem were not available (call me stupid, but I cannot stand any non-time stem on that bike), I decided to wait for the new model, hoping to also be able to fit a fatter tyre (to use it occasionally as a sort of light gravel bike).

After seeing the new model, I think the old one was better: nicer colors and shapes + mechanical compatible.

Even at the same cost, I would buy the 2022 version over the 2023 one.

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

Re non-time stems - finding a readonably affordable white(ish) monolink of current or prior generation in my (110mm) size is been impossible.

And yes, my white(ish) requirement is out there but I don't want to have to swap my white handlebar :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com