The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Follow up. It appears you are correct. But Time Bicycles are still operating their social media as Time Sport, in contravention of their agreement with Rossignol / SRAM. Bizarre.

I assume they must have stock to clear. They can't possibly hope to get a return on investment from this deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

You don't need teach whats difference between Time Sport and Time bicycles. Move on old info.

Maybe becouse Time bicycles don't have social media accounts they are using Time Sport FB account? Same way time-sport.us is listning bikes and forwarding to timebicycles.com. Still that team is saying they are running AdH 21 for limited series even with wrong hashtag.

Edit: you noticed it by yourself

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 pm
You got it from their Facebook. It literally says Time Sport. You just saw Time and assumed it was bikes. Despite this thread clearly being about the newly hived off bike company as distinct from Time Sport (pedals and shoes etc). You mention Time Bicycles but there is no mention of Time Bicycles in the announcement or from their social media.
You just saw Tme Sport and assumed it is pedals. Clearly, the Time Sport Facebook page has not become exclusively a Time pedals (and maybe shoes) page as of yet. The split between bicycles (frames/forks) and pedals/shoes is apparently still in transition, and perhaps will be until the summer.

The announcement clearly pertains to Time Alpe d'Huez 21.

https://www.sram.com/en/life/stories/time-pedals
SRAM will continue with the TIME name for all pedal products. Customers will continue to contact TIME for product service and support during a transition phase through mid-year 2021.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Cycomanic wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Aside from distribution and cranking up production at the factory again, I'd say getting some better looking paintjobs on the bikes should be priority number one. Most look extremely dated. Priority 2, gravel. Also, increase tyre clearances on existing frames - I think they top out at 28s, which is low by today's standards.
The paintjob looking dated is a weird statement. Just looking at the two paintjobs below, can you explain to me why you consider one extremely dated and the other one not?

Read my post - "most".

Though the Time one you show looked pretty poor.

Does it really need to say TIME in big block capitals twice on the main triangle and then again on the fork? It looks ghastly.

Even more obvious on the more widely distributed white and red.

Trend, fortunately, has been towards slightly less obtrusive branding these days. Time looks extremely dated.
Then let's go TREK..

Or let's go Aethos..

And yep I took the liberty to slam the stem for lazy Rossignol and hide the cables. :P A clean front end is all they need to sell more bikes nowadays..

To be fair, I think if anyone can play with their logo in such a "watermark everywhere" manner, it's Time.. I appreciate it's not a populat opnion but for me the graphic style is kind of iconic, dating back to ZXRS / RXR era.. Particularly where they cover the entire Translink seatmast with big white logo, the visual is strong.

*image linked from ab01ns' post here:

viewtopic.php?t=143634

That said, would 100% be up for a refinement of thier paint job language though; the beautiful carbon weave must be part of that showcase as I think that's unique to them.

RDY

by RDY

HammerTime2 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:14 pm
You got it from their Facebook. It literally says Time Sport. You just saw Time and assumed it was bikes. Despite this thread clearly being about the newly hived off bike company as distinct from Time Sport (pedals and shoes etc). You mention Time Bicycles but there is no mention of Time Bicycles in the announcement or from their social media.
You just saw Tme Sport and assumed it is pedals. Clearly, the Time Sport Facebook page has not become exclusively a Time pedals (and maybe shoes) page as of yet. The split between bicycles (frames/forks) and pedals/shoes is apparently still in transition, and perhaps will be until the summer.

The announcement clearly pertains to Time Alpe d'Huez 21.

https://www.sram.com/en/life/stories/time-pedals
SRAM will continue with the TIME name for all pedal products. Customers will continue to contact TIME for product service and support during a transition phase through mid-year 2021.
They are supposed to have switched all branding immediately to Time Bicycles. That account is clearly under their control but is 'Time Sport' and they're announcing sponsorships under SRAM's name and not their own ....

Time Sport US remains for now AFAIK as it's the distributor. But since Time Sport stuff will in future presumably be distributed by SRAM distributors, I'd assume it'll change too.

RDY

by RDY

Llanberis wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:19 pm
RDY wrote:
Cycomanic wrote:
RDY wrote:
Aside from distribution and cranking up production at the factory again, I'd say getting some better looking paintjobs on the bikes should be priority number one. Most look extremely dated. Priority 2, gravel. Also, increase tyre clearances on existing frames - I think they top out at 28s, which is low by today's standards.
The paintjob looking dated is a weird statement. Just looking at the two paintjobs below, can you explain to me why you consider one extremely dated and the other one not?

Read my post - "most".

Does it really need to say TIME in big block capitals twice on the main triangle and then again on the fork? It looks ghastly.

Trend, fortunately, has been towards slightly less obtrusive branding these days. Time looks extremely dated.
Then let's go TREK..

Or let's go Aethos..

And yep I took the liberty to slam the stem for lazy Rossignol and hide the cables. :P A clean front end is all they need to sell more bikes nowadays..

To be fair, I think if anyone can play with their logo in such a "watermark everywhere" manner, it's Time.. I appreciate it's not a populat opnion but for me the graphic style is kind of iconic, dating back to ZXRS / RXR era.. Particularly where they cover the entire Translink seatmast with big white logo, the visual is strong.

*image linked from ab01ns' post here:

viewtopic.php?t=143634

That said, would 100% be up for a refinement of thier paint job language though; the beautiful carbon weave must be part of that showcase as I think that's unique to them.
Either your 'Trek' or 'Aethos' version look far better.

Also it's not that they hadn't slammed the stem ... It's that they hadn't even put spacers below the stem. They'd just clamped the stem on and not even bothered with spacers - so it looks weird with the skinny steerer and chunky stem,and also couldn't have been ridden. Messy cabling job as you say obviously didn't help matters either.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Paint and asthetics is subjective. I find current blacked out modern bikes to be outdated in 2019 already but they still make them. I find 2020 and 2021 paint scheme trying to mimic current trends but failed. I preferred 2018 2019 Time paint schemes with that T on the down tube. They look good with rim brakes. It's refreshing instead of screaming "TREK" on the down tube. YMMV.

Disc road bike wise, I think there is hope in the future.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

RDY wrote:
Cycomanic wrote:
RDY wrote:

Read my post - "most".

You mean like this?

or this?

Kumppa

by Kumppa

You could also add Canyon here if you like to compare which bikes has the most logos...

Agree Time could update their desing to little bit more modern and especially to show more carbonwork. Also more tire clearance for 28 mm clincher tires on moderns rims (atm true 28 mm max). I also like the older (2018-2019) AdH frames with that T on down tube and ulteam model is my favourite as it only have one small TIME logo on top tube.
Last edited by Kumppa on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1llum4

by 1llum4

I think one big logo on the downtube would look best for the Alpe d'Huez.
And for the Scylon just one big logo on the full length of the seatpost.

Actually the Full black and full white paintjob for the Scylon/Fluidity on Time website are pretty decent.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

The problem isn't with the paint/logos. As the new owner said, they need to catch up to the rest of the marketplace and introduce some new frames. Their current light frames aren't that light, the Atvik fork is heavy and its damping properties questionable, while their aero frames aren't that aero. In terms of direct competitors, I'd say Factor is a good comparison (both own their factories and are premium pricing). Factor has a protour presence, advanced design, smart marketing, and a combination of direct marketing and dealer distribution. Not sure how Time would catch up to that (without a big injection of capital).

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Alpe D'Huez 01 and 21 are both quite light even for the asking price. The Skyline could use more aero features to compete but you get a super stiff frame. Someone mentioned a new frame is come ng likely 2022.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Kumppa wrote:I also like the older (2018-2019) AdH frames with that T on down tube and ulteam model is my favourite as it only have one small TIME logo on top tube.
Wow, thanks for that mate! Since early 2019 I have a 2019 AdH 01 naked carbon with those weird white patches on the down tube. They have mainly annoyed me for disturbing the visibility of the beautiful carbon work and making it look like a first gen Cervelo R3 from mid 2000. It’s not until now I realize what they’re supposed to depict. It’s a big ”T”! Brilliant! Thanks for enlightening me! Super great frame BTW. Image

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

I think the 1 thing that they must do is to put internal wires! The big logo better live then for mass and lower quality bike ( canyon- s wotks....) and the must live the carbon waves to be seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

miltmaster3 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:31 am
I think the 1 thing that they must do is to put internal wires! The big logo better live then for mass and lower quality bike ( canyon- s wotks....) and the must live the carbon waves to be seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why does everyone want fully integrated bikes? They make maintenance aand traveling a nightmare and the only viable choice is electronic shifting because cables don't like those tight bends.