The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steveadore

by steveadore

velov wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:08 am
I've had some issues with the Quickset headset on my VXR, but nothing serious enough to stop me from riding. Personally, I couldn't care less about aerodynamics, if I got paid to ride then I probably would. Ride quality and aesthetics are the two most important factors for me. And aesthetically I think a clean front end does look better.
What issues did you have? And were they recurrent or fixed for good?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MDecius

by MDecius

mathemagician wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 am
It is certainly more sensible than some others, BUT for me the question is: Can one replace a headset bearing without touching hydraulic brake lines or not?
I have a current model AdH21 so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I've always wondered why people get so worked up about how easy or not it is to replace headset bearings. How often are you doing it- so much that it becomes a deal breaker? So you've got to disconnect a couple of hydraulic lines and bleed some brake...who cares? Hoses for all 3 groupset manufacturers can be disconnected at the shifter, so it's not like they have to be routed through the frame again. I just don't get the big deal.
IMHO, iIn the end it's all about choice. I don't like the hassle of fully internal cable routing and discs as a home mechanic who loves to tinker and wrench on my bike. The list of things that one has to remove the hydraulic lines and flush/re-bleed brakes for is just too long, including travelling with a bike (who wants to bleed brakes and bring a kit/fluid in a hotel room??)

For people who want to chase those marginal aero gains and have the cleanest looking frame with nothing visible, go for it, more power to you. I just don't like that very very few manufacturers even let me make the choice of external cabling and/or rim brakes any longer.

In positive news, I just took delivery of a full set of R8150 Di2 components and some lovely Bora WTO 45s. Just waiting for frame delivery now!!
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

Lina

by Lina

MDecius wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:20 pm
mathemagician wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:53 am
It is certainly more sensible than some others, BUT for me the question is: Can one replace a headset bearing without touching hydraulic brake lines or not?
I have a current model AdH21 so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I've always wondered why people get so worked up about how easy or not it is to replace headset bearings. How often are you doing it- so much that it becomes a deal breaker? So you've got to disconnect a couple of hydraulic lines and bleed some brake...who cares? Hoses for all 3 groupset manufacturers can be disconnected at the shifter, so it's not like they have to be routed through the frame again. I just don't get the big deal.
IMHO, iIn the end it's all about choice. I don't like the hassle of fully internal cable routing and discs as a home mechanic who loves to tinker and wrench on my bike. The list of things that one has to remove the hydraulic lines and flush/re-bleed brakes for is just too long, including travelling with a bike (who wants to bleed brakes and bring a kit/fluid in a hotel room??)

For people who want to chase those marginal aero gains and have the cleanest looking frame with nothing visible, go for it, more power to you. I just don't like that very very few manufacturers even let me make the choice of external cabling and/or rim brakes any longer.

In positive news, I just took delivery of a full set of R8150 Di2 components and some lovely Bora WTO 45s. Just waiting for frame delivery now!!
Internal cabling done properly doesn't mean you have to rebleed after traveling. On a well made integrated solution pretty much the only thing you need to rebleed is if you are replacing the upper headset bearing or swapping handlebars that are routed internally. But in the latter case you'd have to do it even if it's not an integrated frame.

velov

by velov

steveadore wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:59 am
velov wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:08 am
I've had some issues with the Quickset headset on my VXR, but nothing serious enough to stop me from riding. Personally, I couldn't care less about aerodynamics, if I got paid to ride then I probably would. Ride quality and aesthetics are the two most important factors for me. And aesthetically I think a clean front end does look better.
What issues did you have? And were they recurrent or fixed for good?
There was some wear inside the headtube where the top cap sits so. Not sure how that happened. I've put the VXR on permanent trainer duties till I can be bothered to get it looked at properly.

steveadore

by steveadore

Has anyone tried to ride two different sizes of the ADH? I should definitely be a size M, but due to my shorter legs I find the top tube a bit too tall, so I'm contemplating a size S. The smaller size would definitely require all the spacers (30mm) under the stem and a 0 degree, 115mm stem. On the M, I could do with a -6 degree, 100mm stem. This would be an all-rounder endurance bike, not for racing, so the sizing down would not be motivated by the usual considerations of "light/nimble/aggressive" but merely by concerns about standover height and top tube clearance (I can straddle the size M, but there's not even an inch clearance). In fact, I normally prefer to size up (for lon distance leisure rides I find that more comfortable)

If anyone is between two sizes or has sized down, what has been your experience? Is it better to stay true to recommended size?

AJS914

by AJS914

The 100mm stem IMO is on the short size. My guess is that the S is probably the correct size with the 115mm stem but if you don't like the spacers it probably won't be a problem to size up. We didn't have much, if any, standover clearance back when we had horizontal top tubes.

I'm usually in the same quandry. Ride a 56 with a 2-3cm of spacers or ride a 58 with a short stem and no spacers.

steveadore

by steveadore

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:20 pm
The 100mm stem IMO is on the short size. My guess is that the S is probably the correct size with the 115mm stem but if you don't like the spacers it probably won't be a problem to size up. We didn't have much, if any, standover clearance back when we had horizontal top tubes.

I'm usually in the same quandry. Ride a 56 with a 2-3cm of spacers or ride a 58 with a short stem and no spacers.
I'm fine with 100mm stems (currently ride a 90mm stem and actually like the snappier steering). I'm 179 cm tall, which is almost at the upper end of the size M range according to Time's chart. But my saddle height is only 71.5 cm. I'm not sure I would like the 115mm stem and a stack of spacers and a 0 degree stem (which almost looks like a flipped stem visually). :D

MDecius

by MDecius

Time updated their website with promo material and colorways for the 2023 AdH Disc!

https://global.timebicycles.com/en-gb/p ... dhuez-disc

Nothing much to highlight. No new colours compared to what has been floating around online for some time, max 28c clearance, and electronic shifting only
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Your link is a 404, but this one should work: https://shop.timebicycles.com/collectio ... collection

Interesting to see that the 2023 is some $600 USD less than the previous version.

velov

by velov

Anyone have an idea of when Time will be selling stems and handlebars?

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

velov wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:50 am
Time says that they are redesigning their stems and handlebars for MY 2024. New bars and stems are supposed to be able to do internal cable routing to clean up the front end.

velov

by velov

EvilEuro wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:18 pm
velov wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:50 am
Time says that they are redesigning their stems and handlebars for MY 2024. New bars and stems are supposed to be able to do internal cable routing to clean up the front end.
Thanks. I was hoping it was early this year, I'll just go with Schmolke in that case.

jlok

by jlok

EvilEuro wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:35 pm
Your link is a 404, but this one should work: https://shop.timebicycles.com/collectio ... collection

Interesting to see that the 2023 is some $600 USD less than the previous version.
There is one less size available for the 2023.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Yoln

by Yoln

Any idea about the weight of the new ADH?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Unbelievably beautiful and shockingly low priced for what you get. Disappointed with the maximum tire size of 28, although kudos for Time speccing Goodyear F1 tires -- they are fantastic and light.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com