Cervelo R5 2022 spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

You can use a regular stem on the D shaped steerers without any shims or extra parts. If you want to use ACR or DCR bars for example, with a stem that is regular but has a hole through it, you can do so. It's how Wout's is set up for example. The Caledonia-5 thread mentions this, which uses the same form type.

In my opinion, the D shaped fork is one of the best methods for internal routing. Now if more manufacturers could make stems like the NEW giant propel one, but then put a cover over it we'd be talking. Then can remove the stem easily. And use the bars like Cervelo ones with externally run channels. Then looks all hidden, but nothing actually internal until headset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

woodyvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:39 am
In my opinion, the D shaped fork is one of the best methods for internal routing. Now if more manufacturers could make stems like the NEW giant propel one, but then put a cover over it we'd be talking. Then can remove the stem easily. And use the bars like Cervelo ones with externally run channels. Then looks all hidden, but nothing actually internal until headset.
Apparently, there are reservations to this method from manufacturers... we know at least 2 implementations already which needed a recall/redesign - one was BMC, the other - Factor.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I don't think BMC's recall was a D shaped fork. Theirs had cut outs/flat on both sides vs the front. And with factor, wasn't theirs from the compression plug?

Specialized also had to recall headset parts.

I've been on my Caledonia-5 for over a year with no problems. The Cervelo fork also has a slight curve to it so it's concave vs flat.

Ridley seems to be doing fine with the D fork as well.

Regardless, hidden channels are the way to go before entering the frame/headset.

b5000

by b5000

bikesnobyvr wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:29 am
b5000 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:14 pm
- curious as to how the jumbo visma team is using the ACR stem with the C shaped steerer tube (guessing they have a shaped insert to fill in the gap)?

Here is a 2022 build with a conventional shimano pro stem: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Roa ... _8099.html (not sure how the C shaped steerer works here either).. basically same weight build (15.75lb / 7.144kg) as I ended up with but with dura ace.
Sounds like Shimano did that shoot for him, so subbing in a pro stem for the shoot makes sense. It looks terrible with the cables tucked loose underneath, and I'm not sure it would be solid without an additional steerer wedge. But I will say where the integrated stem and big flat top bar suit the other Cervelo bikes, they look wrong on this new R5, in addition to being heavy AF. Hopefully some more stem/bar options open up for Cervelo's D steerer shape. The classic R5 stance was so good and the current model is obviously more aero, but the whole front end just looks as heavy as it is. Love the lanky stance of the OG R5/RCA.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more pics of people's builds here like the other Spesh threads? Wonder if the R5 is selling well or not.
Agree the way that he set it up with the cables under the stem looks terrible (like the Aurum cables under the stem from the headtube). So lame the new ST31 Carbon stem is heavy (even the top cap seems to be cast metal and heavy). My guess is that it could have been lighter simply if the designers slimed up the profiles - but I suspect they were going for a more macho/ beefier look. (Added photos to my earlier post of the two builds) I liked the look of the older non-disc OG R5/ RCA better as well.

Dick

by Dick

thebikemanguy wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:12 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the bar to another bar with integrated routing (while keeping the stem the same)?
Yes - first thing I did - as the standard Cervelo bars not only looked and felt awful but were heavy, and if I remember correctly had that god awful rooting for bar end junction of the tiny hole in the end of the drop - was change the bars.
I have only found two bars that will work better - FSA SLK and Enve AR SES.
The next thing is to experiment with a different stem, although I'm a little hesitant to stick a round one on that D steerer....

Dick

by Dick

powpow wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:09 am
Does anyone have a 0 setback seatpost for sale or know where I can find one? Not much online right now. I emailed Cervelo but no response yet. Also wondering if there are any legit alternative seatposts besides Darimo. Thanks.
Why would you want an alternative to the Darimo? There's genuinely no better seatpost.
Had 3 Darimo proprietary posts for SWorks Tarmacs owned in the past and the first thing I did when I bought the R5 was order an inline Darimo post for it.
6000+ kms and it's never so much as creaked.
Never found better quality componentry than Darimo.
The only other alternative is hylix. And it terrible.

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

why the thread doesn't get much love ?
I'm going to get my R5 soon. will tweak all the stock components & replace it with my own preference.
Might be want to pair it with EXS Aerover handlebar

Dick

by Dick

No idea, but interested to follow your handlebar options as I've still not found any viable alternative to the proprietary stem.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Dick wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:53 am
No idea, but interested to follow your handlebar options as I've still not found any viable alternative to the proprietary stem.
There are no issues using a round steerer stem or integrated bar. A few Cervelos use the D shaped steerer and Cervelo themselves have confirmed it's ok.
I use a round integrated bar on my Caledonia 5 and it hasn't moved. This also sees gravel use so an R only used on road would be absolutely secure.
Feel free to call Cervelo and ask

Dick

by Dick

That's actually really good to know - obviously there's plenty of pro tour riders not using the proprietary stem and lots of discussion that round is ok - I appreciate the clarification!
Now I have to decide if I have the willpower to re cable the bike, as the first time I built it still haunts me, and I get reminders of how shit full integration actually is for certain things, like serviceability, every time I travel with the R5 and have to put it in a hard case!

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

It's very easy. I have a fully integrated bar with few cm of extra hose.
It's doesn't rattle and I can takes the bars off and have them next to the frame without kinking the hose.
I'd say it's no more complicated than a regular bar and stem.
The only pain is the split spacers, but that's a ly a minor inconvenience

Dick

by Dick

It's nowhere near as simple as a traditional bar and stem, from build, through service, through packing away into a bike box.
Yes I probably cut my hoses a little short, but even with "a few extra cm" of hose (which I'm surprised doesn't cause other issues / rattling / etc) the integration causes many headaches.
Only upside is with no spacers I don't have to worry about those silly fragile fiddly little things.
Guess having a bit of hose contingency may be easier with some more steerer tube / head tube, but on a 54cm on the smallest bearing cover, there didn't seem like there was anywhere extra hose could go!

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

If you build it correctly it's no different. The only faff is replacing the headset bearing, and that's not exactly a weekly occurrence.

Do whatever works for you

Dick

by Dick

So routing cables and hoses, through bar, stem, steerer, headtube, downtube, chainstay takes the same amount of time as just routing through downtube and chainstay?

If somehow you have managed to bend time and space, yea, I agree.

For the rest of us mere mortals, doing more things on top of the things you already have to do, takes more time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Just rebought a 2022 R5 Force AXS build for $6900 out the door and sold my 2023 Cannondale SSE4 and I couldn't be happier. My 1st R5 which was snapped in half after I was hit by a car that ran a stop sign was an amazing bike as it just handled so well climbing and descending. When I want to ride flat and fast I choose my Soloist. When I want to take my bike on vacation anywhere in the world I take my Caledonia 5 and when I want to just ride effortlessly and grin from ear to ear I once again grab my R5. Current weight including Pedals, x2 Leggero cages and the ST31 Garmin mount with a 120mm stem is 6.75kg.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike