DIY Berk saddle repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RNAV

by RNAV

I've spent the past 5 months trying unsuccessfully to get a Berk Lukna saddle repaired due to what I presume are COVID-related shipping issues. I shipped via USPS, the package made it to Slovenia and for unknown reasons was rejected by Sovenia customs and returned to me. After I got it back, I re-shipped it the following day back in Oct . . . still waiting for it to make it through Slovenia customs. Maybe I'll get the saddle back some time in 2021. :thumbup:

Now I'm down to just my Lupina. And let me tell you, when I heard the "pop" and felt the Lupina give a bit more than usual, I was NOT happy about having to ship it to Berk and be without my only two Berk saddles for who knows how long. So I took matters into my own hands.

Went to the local hardware store and found this epoxy:
IMG_1340.jpeg
I didn't take a picture of the packaging, but an application specifically listed was carbon fiber composite. Unfortunately they didn't have black color available.

I removed excess original epoxy and lightly sanded the rail support area and saddle shell. Applied epoxy and clamped like so:
IMG_1339.jpeg
End result:
IMG_1338.jpeg
I've put 400 miles on the saddle since this repair, riding the same roads, and the repair shows no signs of failing. The epoxy has a bond strength of 3770 PSI (265 kg per square cm), which I figure should be good enough for my 88kg weight. So if your Berk saddle fails and you don't feel like being without it for months on end, this is how to repair it yourself. Hopefully once this pandemic winds down and shipping returns to normal repair wait times will be less of a factor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes that works.. eventually you might have to do it again ( I did ) Mine is on the gravel rig.. so it sees rough terrian.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Berk should put you on their payroll.

glepore

by glepore

There's a company named epocast that makes a bunch of carbon specific epoxies that are designed to repair aerospace composites. The stuff is FAA approved and very good, if a bit pricy-like $35 for a dual syringe that needs a standard epoxy plunger or gun.
I love Jure's stuff, have a bike of his,and just repaired a saddle for my own use (given to me by a forumite in exchange for repairing a slightly dinged Lightweight). He's on the cutting edge, but stray's over just a bit. The saddle shell is so flexy (which makes it both light and comfortable) that a bond in that area is very highly stressed.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

RyanH

by RyanH

glepore wrote: He's on the cutting edge, but stray's over just a bit.
There's a difference between poor engineering and cutting edge. Ax Lightness is cutting edge and at risk of breaking. When a large number of saddles are breaking due to a comical bonding method, Berk is the former.

Sorry people, but there's a certain point where we need to stop giving the benefit of the doubt and hold someone to a higher standard. It's well documented his products are flawed...

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Nice work.

Curious... cost in grams for the repair?

LewisK

by LewisK

Good work on the repair but you shouldn't have to be doing this. So many Berk saddles have failed, its about time he changes something imo!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

LewisK wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:37 am
Good work on the repair but you shouldn't have to be doing this. So many Berk saddles have failed, its about time he changes something imo!
Assuming he didn't already, maybe @RNAV's saddles (good job, BTW) are older revisions, but only Jure himself can tell. Unless you have a full picture it's hard to tell, a bit more publicity might help Berk reputation-wise. This is the same stuff as software bugs or car part recalls.

nunokas

by nunokas

I'm interested in a lupine padded. Long time user with tune and gelu saddles without any problem but a bit worried about those rail problems because sometimes I strap a 11l saddle bag for bikepacking...
Still risky...?

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I dont understand. If what is required is a simple bond, what is the method being used on manufacture that is less reliable? It can't be that the bond is weak because of a weight cost or cost of goods: surely?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm
I dont understand. If what is required is a simple bond, what is the method being used on manufacture that is less reliable? It can't be that the bond is weak because of a weight cost or cost of goods: surely?
my guess is the material used by berk is either too brittle or maybe not cured properly. I've had 3 failures.. finally I just got tired of the replacements and just keep one and JB-welded it.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:28 pm
ghisallo2003 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm
my guess is the material used by berk is either too brittle or maybe not cured properly. I've had 3 failures.. finally I just got tired of the replacements and just keep one and JB-welded it.
I think glepore nailed it above: "The saddle shell is so flexy (which makes it both light and comfortable) that a bond in that area is very highly stressed."

Maybe a redesign of the saddle shell / rail interface would help.

flying

by flying

RyanH wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:15 am
Sorry people, but there's a certain point where we need to stop giving the benefit of the doubt and hold someone to a higher standard. It's well documented his products are flawed...
No kidding !

Just reading this short thread there are at least 5-6 failures :roll:
For these prices??

At some point a simple photo to Berk should suffice & new saddle on priority delivery period
Along with a post paid return box for broken item if he wants it back
If not forget it :noidea:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

flying wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:23 pm
RyanH wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:15 am
No kidding !

Just reading this short thread there are at least 5-6 failures :roll:
For these prices??

At some point a simple photo to Berk should suffice & new saddle on priority delivery period
Along with a post paid return box for broken item if he wants it back
If not forget it :noidea:
That is or atleast for me the routine... actually less then that.

Email a picture..
new saddle gets sent
you even keep the old one.

The last saddle that broke for me, I just repaired myself much like the op and just sold the new replacement online to wash my hands of the whole thing. Eventually if this one keeps rebreaking, I will just bin it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RNAV

by RNAV

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:20 am
Nice work.

Curious... cost in grams for the repair?
Ha! I'm guessing +1 gram (I removed most of the old epoxy, but I think I used a bit more than Berk does).