DIY Berk saddle repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RNAV

by RNAV

Klaster_1 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:18 pm
LewisK wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:37 am
Good work on the repair but you shouldn't have to be doing this. So many Berk saddles have failed, its about time he changes something imo!
Assuming he didn't already, maybe @RNAV's saddles (good job, BTW) are older revisions, but only Jure himself can tell. Unless you have a full picture it's hard to tell, a bit more publicity might help Berk reputation-wise. This is the same stuff as software bugs or car part recalls.
I purchased the Lupina new from Elite Velo Solutions in May of this year -- Elite Velo had to order the saddle I wanted in from Berk, so I assume it is a current production model.

To be clear, my intent was not to bash Berk. From what I understand Berk stands behind his products and I haven't seen anyone say Berk wouldn't warranty a saddle failure. Under normal circumstances, a two-week round trip from US to Slovenia and back wouldn't be a big deal. But the times we're in are not normal (and neither are the shipping times!).

RyanH

by RyanH

It's because the saddle rails are bonded in a pretty amateur way. Rails and a dollop of epoxy to adhere it to a carbon shell, most likely in a completely separate process after the original resin is cured.

Berk saddle underside:

Compared to mcfk where the rails are below a layer of weave:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Even I have bought 3 Lupinas (1 broken with round rail, was out of warranty) I think the bonding is pretty awful way and these aren't worth of 200 €+ if you compare it to other brands (^eg. mcfk's way to connect rails). I just like the shape of Lupina but propably not going to buy another.

Berk should upgrade this bonding method to more durable but propably manufacturing cost is pretty low (with robot) so it's ok to warranty some.

KCookie

by KCookie

flying wrote:
RyanH wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:15 am
Sorry people, but there's a certain point where we need to stop giving the benefit of the doubt and hold someone to a higher standard. It's well documented his products are flawed...
No kidding !

Just reading this short thread there are at least 5-6 failures :roll:
For these prices??

At some point a simple photo to Berk should suffice & new saddle on priority delivery period
Along with a post paid return box for broken item if he wants it back
If not forget it :noidea:
New saddle a priority. Yes I totally agree but I've been waiting 6 months for two warranty replacement saddles.
Terrible communication just to boot.
Just about lost all faith with Jure.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

sylvain70

by sylvain70

Bonding...
Sometimes it is logic but the basics are :
1- sand the surfaces to be bonded to create scratches (for mechanical adherence)
2- clean them to remove dusts and degrease (aceton typically)
3- use a good adhesive like epoxy
4- manage the thickness to be between 0.1 - 0.3 mm (easy 😂).

Berk use peel plies during manufacturing and it creates rough surfaces. But maybe it is not enough and I do not know if they sand the surface.

And for design... a good bonding is when it works in shear. But it is too late when you have the parts in hands 😂😂

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

removed
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

liketoride

by liketoride

i was hoping for info on a diy to fix a broken rail. none of mine have come apart like this

slake21

by slake21

was plannig on getting a Lupina next year, but this rail issue got me thinking.

could everyone who's saddle failed post their body weight? it might be interesting to know.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

slake21 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:42 pm
could everyone who's saddle failed post their body weight? it might be interesting to know.
I'm 58 kg and my round rail Lupina failed at rails.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

slake21 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:42 pm
was plannig on getting a Lupina next year, but this rail issue got me thinking.

74 kg, 3 year old but only ~5k km, broken round rail, only road use. Looks like oval rail mostly fixed this problem but bonding is the weakest part at the moment.

slake21

by slake21

ok, I'm 65 and I would've gone for the oval rail version anyway, so I think I'll give it a chance and see what happens, maybe they'll fix it by spring/summer

DHG01

by DHG01

I am very happy with Berk Dila; I use it on 2 road bikes, no issues (75 kg) and find it very very comfortable.

Hearing about these failures is a bit concerning.
What saddle out there is similar to the Dila?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:52 am
On a side note, if anyone has a Lupina with a cracked/broken shell or unbonded rails, please let me know if you are willing to part with it.
Shell and leather cover in pristine condition, but broken oval rails.
Make me an offer.
Btw, dhl worldwide express would cost $50 usd.

sychen

by sychen

I have a round rail lupina that's broken.. Is there an easy ish diy way for a carbon virgin( aka never worked with carbon or have any equipment) to try to repair (the rail) as still round or make into oval 7x9?

liketoride

by liketoride

i would be interested in that too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com