What other cranksets are people getting to work with eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Any?

And do you think my FSA Energy crankset with TA 36/48 11-speed rings would work, assuming I don't use the Wide version electronic FD?

Thanks.

DaveS

by DaveS

I've used a chorus 48/32 12 speed and a cheap shimano grx 46/30 11 speed with the chainline corrected to normal road bike. No setup problems or chain drops.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nis240sxt

by nis240sxt

Used older SRAM Force 1 crank with 48T Garbaruk direct mount oval chain ring.

KyleH

by KyleH

I'm running an Easton EC90sl with Praxis rings. I've had good luck but you have to use brand new rings IMO for best experience. I'll probably swap to Carbon-Ti over winter.

gSporco

by gSporco

Im curious of those using non Sram AXS 2x Chainrings with Sram AXS Front Derailleur if you are having the same shifting issues (chaindrop) as others have had..

I ditched teh Sram AXS 2x for 1x because I couldnt get the chain to not drop.. I suspect this is becasue the Sram Chainring, chain ramps suck and dont move the chain, so you need to adgust the FD high/low to much then it throws the chain.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

KyleH

by KyleH

gSporco wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Im curious of those using non Sram AXS 2x Chainrings with Sram AXS Front Derailleur if you are having the same shifting issues (chaindrop) as others have had..

I ditched teh Sram AXS 2x for 1x because I couldnt get the chain to not drop.. I suspect this is becasue the Sram Chainring, chain ramps suck and dont move the chain, so you need to adgust the FD high/low to much then it throws the chain.
My LBS is amazing and got mine working perfectly. Used a Praxis 52/36 without a single issue and the. Swapped to a 48/36 (unmatched) set and after they worked their magic it's been flawless. I tried to set it up myself without a lot of luck but whatever they did worked great.

gSporco

by gSporco

KyleH wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:34 am
gSporco wrote:

My LBS is amazing and got mine working perfectly. Used a Praxis 52/36 without a single issue and the. Swapped to a 48/36 (unmatched) set and after they worked their magic it's been flawless. I tried to set it up myself without a lot of luck but whatever they did worked great.
Thats great to hear... I am starting to suspect that the FD Sram AXS shifting issues is more caused by the ramps on the Sram CR than the actual FD itself.

The FD does one job, move the chain side to side within limits and the CR is supposed to catch and drag up the chain. So when adjusted within limits the chain just dances in the middle causing the FD to be adjusted slightly more outside throw. Then you start getting random chain drops.

So if Praxis, Easton or Rotor have a better CR ramp design this maybe the cure to crappy Sram FD shifting. Now all i neednis someone to make aftermarket sram AxS 2x chainrings :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

KyleH

by KyleH

gSporco wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:57 am
KyleH wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:34 am
gSporco wrote:

Thats great to hear... I am starting to suspect that the FD Sram AXS shifting issues is more caused by the ramps on the Sram CR than the actual FD itself.

The FD does one job, move the chain side to side within limits and the CR is supposed to catch and drag up the chain. So when adjusted within limits the chain just dances in the middle causing the FD to be adjusted slightly more outside throw. Then you start getting random chain drops.

So if Praxis, Easton or Rotor have a better CR ramp design this maybe the cure to crappy Sram FD shifting. Now all i neednis someone to make aftermarket sram AxS 2x chainrings :)
That disappointing, I was considering swapping over to a sram crank and rings in hopes of more unity but admittedly this was before the shop was able to get it set up.

DaveS

by DaveS

No chain drops with Campy 12 or Shimano grx cranks. No problems with setup either.

gSporco

by gSporco

For reference I went to my an LBS that deals in more boutique brand bikes and specialize in road racin etc.. The owner/ mechanic said he wouldn't touch my bike lol. He said he will not work on Sram 2x. He only sells and works on Shimano and Sram 1x.

Kind of crazy, he said the tolerances are so ridiculously small that even if he gets it to work he doesn't feel comfortable guaranteeing his work as the Sram FD easily gets knocekd out of alignment causing the same issues to arise

What a shame
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Makki83

by Makki83

Does the carbo-ti work 33/46 with clavicula se and axs 10-33? Many instagram poster build it up, but i read different reviews

ichobi

by ichobi

Whats all these 2x issue? Been running great close to 2 years and it only drop once or twice after all sort of ridings.

talltales

by talltales

DaveS wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:53 pm
I've used a chorus 48/32 12 speed and a cheap shimano grx 46/30 11 speed with the chainline corrected to normal road bike. No setup problems or chain drops.
How?

DaveS

by DaveS

Shim washers and longer chain ring bolts in the 10-12mm range will eliminate the +2.5mm chainline.

I used McMaster-Carr number 98370A015.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Isn't chainline of grx better for disc brake bike anyway?
Normal chainline is for 130OLD quick release wheels.
Disc push rear spacing to 135mm, so 2.5mm offset on the chainring make it correct again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com