Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BenCousins

by BenCousins

onetwo4 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:39 pm
Finally installed the Avian Falcon II and had a chance to do a few long rides on this bar.
This is the 360/120 version.

Noticable flex if you are holding the very end of the drops and out of saddle, but really isn't concerning amount of flex in my opinion
In the hoods & out of saddle while sprinting, the bar feels fine.
Not insanely stiff but honestly feels more than stiff enough for me.
I weigh 72kg and sprint at ~1200w 5s & 750w for 1' and it passed my test after a few short and long sprint tests.
I don't put out a crazy huge peak power, but I can say the bar doesn't make me feel like I am going to die when sprinting like the Roval Alpinist bar did.
Maybe a heavier rider and someone getting a wider bar may feel more flex and have different experience.
Personally I like it after putting in some big rides on it.
The flex is an issue if you are competing, if you aren't competing, why are you sprinting? :D

Beancouter

by Beancouter

theOrtherion wrote:
Beancouter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 pm
theOrtherion wrote:Anyone have installed the Avian Falcon (or canary) in a "normal" externally routed bike? I am considering installing it on my Cinelli Nemo Tig but I'm not sure if that would look good on a "traditional" looking bike.
I posted Some pictures in the aethos thread last week. I also had them in my synapse (slammed) but couldn’t find a picture

2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. It doesn't look all that bad. I might consider it. Your version is the falcon or the canary? Does it flex much?
I spend, sort of, 95% of my time riding on the hoods, 4% on the tops and 1% on the drops to stretch my back out! The flex which has been talked about therefore isn’t really an issue for me(i am not yanking them around under power).

That said I would be happy to take the newer version with the stiffer carbon, if nothing more than for the placebo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onetwo4

by onetwo4

BenCousins wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:30 pm
The flex is an issue if you are competing, if you aren't competing, why are you sprinting? :D
I do compete though (race road/mtb/gravel) & bar feels fine for myself.
A heavier rider or pure/track sprinter putting out really big watts may feel otherwise.

When I sprint, my hands are positioned deeper into the curve of the bar, not holding on the bar end where you would feel more flex.
Also, I tend to hold decently high power for a long time, not high peak power, so maybe that is why I don't feel as much of an issue?
Maybe because my bar is 36cm so stiffness is improved vs others?

gruppetto

by gruppetto

BenCousins wrote:
I compete on a high amateur level (state champion, bla bla bla), using the Falcon II bars on one of my bikes. +1.000W for 30s. The cockpit is totally fine, not as stiff as aluminium bars, but not holding me back. I sprint on the road not on a static trainer, 1mm flex of my handlebars is the last thing to worry about in the transmission of power.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

gruppetto wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am
BenCousins wrote:
I compete on a high amateur level (state champion, bla bla bla), using the Falcon II bars on one of my bikes. +1.000W for 30s. The cockpit is totally fine, not as stiff as aluminium bars, but not holding me back. I sprint on the road not on a static trainer, 1mm flex of my handlebars is the last thing to worry about in the transmission of power.
I'm comparing stiffness to my previous setup which was Enve SES AR carbon bar and a C1 conceal stem, it's a world apart. My flex is enourmous holding the ends of the drops, 5mm to 1cm. There's no movement at the head tube. It's clear they've not spread material evenly through the bars, compromised the ends of the bars.

Flex literally holds you back. That's a simple fact of physics. It might not feel that way (same way you can't feel a 100g saving on a set of wheels), but it's there. I don't think these bars are for racing.

Anyway, again I don't reccomend these bars, spend a bit more and get something non-compromised BUT if you already bought them, have a supersix and are willing to attack both the (incorrectly manufactured) custom spacer and the carbon top cap, you get to this:

IMG_7540.jpg

kofsw4

by kofsw4

bedampft wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 pm
marcelofs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 am
Are you guys tightening the falcon to 8nm as it's written on it? I'm a little afraid of going past 5nm
Was using 5Nm on my Propel. Terrible cracking noises everytime I'd run over some uneven road or bump.
Support told me to go to 8Nm. I settled with 7Nm and an Aluminum Spacer from Deda and also put other screws in. Now it's fine.
5 was definetely to low and the lightweight screws to soft.
Installed some Falcons on my Caledonia 5 (D shaped steerer but Cervelo say it's fine to run normal stem) I'm also getting noises and up and down movement of the bars when pulling up and pressing down. I've tightened the bolts to 8Nm and applied carbon paste but they still move. Will stronger bolts help do you think? Anything else I can try?

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

BenCousins wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:45 am
gruppetto wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am
BenCousins wrote:
Anyway, again I don't reccomend these bars, spend a bit more and get something non-compromised BUT if you already bought them, have a supersix and are willing to attack both the (incorrectly manufactured) custom spacer and the carbon top cap, you get to this:

IMG_7540.jpg
Why do you say that the spacer is incorrectly manufactured?

bedampft

by bedampft

kofsw4 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:52 pm
bedampft wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 pm
marcelofs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 am
Are you guys tightening the falcon to 8nm as it's written on it? I'm a little afraid of going past 5nm
Was using 5Nm on my Propel. Terrible cracking noises everytime I'd run over some uneven road or bump.
Support told me to go to 8Nm. I settled with 7Nm and an Aluminum Spacer from Deda and also put other screws in. Now it's fine.
5 was definetely to low and the lightweight screws to soft.
Installed some Falcons on my Caledonia 5 (D shaped steerer but Cervelo say it's fine to run normal stem) I'm also getting noises and up and down movement of the bars when pulling up and pressing down. I've tightened the bolts to 8Nm and applied carbon paste but they still move. Will stronger bolts help do you think? Anything else I can try?
Yeah, you need a D-spacer. No way around it.

charirider

by charirider

Why not to streach your budget to new Vision Metron? Such a great deal... Stiff, proven design, known brand, beautiful finish... 320g weight also not bad.
I just don't get people here buying chinese lightweight barstem and then complaining about it being noodly-flexy and quality of finish/holes being crap.
You get what you pay for. I'd save and get 600usd quality bar or just ride standard 360g alu bar/stem combo (UNO stem with Ti bolts + some decent 250g bar).
Last edited by charirider on Thu May 30, 2024 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

charirider wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 1:09 pm
Why not to streach your budget to new Vision Metron? Suxh a great deal... Stiff, proven design, known brand, beautiful finish... 320g weight also not bad.
I just don't get people here buying chinese lightweight barstem and then complaining about it being noodly-flexy and quaity of finish/holes being crap.
You get what you pay for. I'd save and get 600usd quality bar or just ride standard 360g alu bar/stem combo (UNO stem with Ti bolts + some decent 250g bar).
The Vision bars would be perfect if they offered narrow options. And more flare. But 38 I think is the narrowest bar they offer which is crazy in today's market. And only 1cm of flare from tops to drops?

But I agree with your other point about getting a superlight cockpit and being surprised by the lack of stiffness. It's why the Avian bars never had my consideration. I'm eyeing a SuperSix and wish the Vision bars could work for me because they have adaptors for the frame, but the geo isn't great. If only a Chinese brand could make and Enve inspired cockpit that's actually stiff.

bobones

by bobones

The Avians are getting a bit of bad rep on this thread of late, so here's my tuppence worth. I've had the Canaries on my Venon for a couple of months now, and I really have no complaints. I bought them from the Avian AliE official store, weight is as advertised (247g for 36cm), the finishing and appearance is excellent, installation was easy, and I have no issues with stiffness whatsoever. Granted I am not heavy or powerful, but pulling and pushing on the bar ends results in minimal deflection: compliant rather than noodly is how I'd describe it. Anyway, lack of stiffness has never entered my thoughts when riding the bike. I have Vision Metron 5Ds on another bike, so I know what stiff bars feel like. My only criticism is that the Canary bar tops are quite narrow and I had to tape them to improve the feel. The Falcons have a much wider bar top and would probably suit an aero focused bike and users who prefer a larger area to rest their hands.

IMG_6403.jpg
IMG_6404.jpg

tyoac

by tyoac

As you touched on the Aero part: how aero are the Falcons in comparison to EXS Aerover, Vision or any other 1-piece cockpit? I've currently got the Conceal Stem + Pro Vibe Aero Superlight bars on my Supersix Evo and while I think it doesn't really need anything else I'm playing with the thoughts of getting a different cockpit.
100mm Conceal stem would translate to a 100mm length in the Falcons or Aerover or is there something I have to pay attention to as well?

Hensem

by Hensem

Is there such an integrated stem bar with a 70mm reach and a stem angle of -7, -6 or even less? All handlebars are -10 and this means even more spacers to the existing ones.

alanyu

by alanyu

Hensem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:56 am
Is there such an integrated stem bar with a 70mm reach and a stem angle of -7, -6 or even less? All handlebars are -10 and this means even more spacers to the existing ones.
Farsports if OD1, use +-3 deg sleeve to raise the bar.

Hensem

by Hensem

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:23 am
Hensem wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:56 am
Farsports if OD1, use +-3 deg sleeve to raise the bar.
About what sleeve are you talking about? Can you send a link, please?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com