Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Spurdo

by Spurdo

About 2000km on Lexon Vero, I am happy with it. Packed up nice and secure, finish is good. Have not tested yet if the mount can actually handle a light in the gopro mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheOnlyAaron

by TheOnlyAaron

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:00 pm
TheOnlyAaron wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:17 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:49 am
The 70mm reach is a special version. I assume you wanted that perticular model on purpose? That bar is lighter because it has less reach and width than the other one, despite the stiffer carbon and additional reinforcement.

The computer mounting studs seem to have different depths between the two models.
Apologies, I originally ordered a 360*80 with 76mm reach to mirror what i had originally on my bike.
But they delivered a 380*90 with 76mm. After 2 months of back and forth, the gave me a 360*80 with 70mm reach.

At that point I was tired of dealing with them and just accepted it. Apparently it has the T1100 instead so its better for me i guess.
Who did you order these from?
Must have been an id**t...
Ah yes. Was quite an id**t. Calling it a LBS would be an insult to others.

Was quite the shady establishment when I went there to confront them after 3 months of waiting. I ordered from them as they were a distributor for Avian and after bringing it up with Avian, Avian mentioned that they have issues with this particular distributor too.

Won't bring up names in case but was the distributor here in Singapore.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

Anyone have installed the Avian Falcon (or canary) in a "normal" externally routed bike? I am considering installing it on my Cinelli Nemo Tig but I'm not sure if that would look good on a "traditional" looking bike.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

theOrtherion wrote:Anyone have installed the Avian Falcon (or canary) in a "normal" externally routed bike? I am considering installing it on my Cinelli Nemo Tig but I'm not sure if that would look good on a "traditional" looking bike.
I posted Some pictures in the aethos thread last week. I also had them in my synapse (slammed) but couldn’t find a picture

2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

Beancouter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 pm
theOrtherion wrote:Anyone have installed the Avian Falcon (or canary) in a "normal" externally routed bike? I am considering installing it on my Cinelli Nemo Tig but I'm not sure if that would look good on a "traditional" looking bike.
I posted Some pictures in the aethos thread last week. I also had them in my synapse (slammed) but couldn’t find a picture

2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Thank you. It doesn't look all that bad. I might consider it. Your version is the falcon or the canary? Does it flex much?

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Would appreciate some help on fitting Avian Falcons to a Supersix Evo - my post here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171597&p=1869171#p1869171

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

BenCousins wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:22 pm
Would appreciate some help on fitting Avian Falcons to a Supersix Evo - my post here

Same issue with my TCR. Planning to cut it but running a temporary spacer above handlebar till fit is settled.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

ItalianEngineering wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:03 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:22 pm

Same issue with my TCR. Planning to cut it but running a temporary spacer above handlebar till fit is settled.
Just running an old fashioned circular spacer?

Wai8

by Wai8

BenCousins wrote:Would appreciate some help on fitting Avian Falcons to a Supersix Evo - my post here

Sorry I don’t have the Supersix Evo, but could you fit anymore spacers under the Avian spacer?

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

BenCousins wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:07 pm
Just running an old fashioned circular spacer?
Yeah

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Fitted my Falcon II bars and took them for a ride:

Not a great product - 2 out of 5 stars. Can't reccomend this bar at least for someone who has a Supersix and is competing (i.e. sprints and is looking for aero).

Pros and cons relative to my other options (Cannondale Momo, Vision etc)

Pros
- Cheap
- Light

Cons
- Take a month to ship
- They are sold with spacers supposedly for my bike (Supersix Evo 4) but the spacer simply does not fit. I had to take a craft knife, hacksaw blade and file to the spacer to make it fit with the Cannondale delta steerer wedges (see below)
- The bars FLEX, as part of my session today I did a not-full-gas sprint (920w) and I could really feel the ends of the drops moving
- In contrast to the above, the tops of bars are vertically overly stiff, meaning bumps and road vibration are very evident
- They sell you this supposedly very aero integrated bar, but the included Garmin mount looks like this! The GoPro/Light mount on the underside is not optional, this is what the screws thread into. What crap.

IMG_7531.jpg
So here's what happens when you use the Cannondale delta steerer filler wedges with this bar...

IMG_7525.jpg
IMG_7524.jpg
...which results in this sorry sight

IMG_7523.jpg
Others here have fitted a 2006-style round spacer to the top and then used the Cannondale round top cap. I am not interested in such a compromise.

So I cut out a section of the 3d-printed Avian supersix spacer so it actually fits. I have no idea how they made such an amateur mistake. Thier instagram even shows off the bar on a Supersix, I guess that picture is a lie.

Here's the spacer with one side modifed and the other as it comes

IMG_7527.jpg
IMG_7528.jpg

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

I would add that the 3d printed transition spacer does not match visually with the bar nor the spacers from giant. Slight purple hue, I'm going to try to paint it.

Carbon layup quality is still dissapointing, loose fibers inside, uneven thickness, uneven holes. Little bit of excess resin on the inside of the steerer clamp, I sanded it down to be able to fit the bar on. The steerer itself helped with a bit of the sanding effort.

That said for my purpose of hill climbing, the price and weight probabably makes up for all of that.
spacer-color.jpg
spacer-color.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Hexsense

by Hexsense

BenCousins wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 pm
IMG_7523.jpg
I hope you don't ride with steerer tube that short inside the stem clamp...
This bar's stack height is already low.
Delta steerer tube also doesn't provide a lot of contact.
Having steerer tube end so far inside the stem clamp would make it flexy.
I'd remove all the spacers, then use 3 or 5 mm round spacer on top to ensure steerer tube fully protrude above the stem.

onetwo4

by onetwo4

Finally installed the Avian Falcon II and had a chance to do a few long rides on this bar.
This is the 360/120 version.

Noticable flex if you are holding the very end of the drops and out of saddle, but really isn't concerning amount of flex in my opinion
In the hoods & out of saddle while sprinting, the bar feels fine.
Not insanely stiff but honestly feels more than stiff enough for me.
I weigh 72kg and sprint at ~1200w 5s & 750w for 1' and it passed my test after a few short and long sprint tests.
I don't put out a crazy huge peak power, but I can say the bar doesn't make me feel like I am going to die when sprinting like the Roval Alpinist bar did.
Maybe a heavier rider and someone getting a wider bar may feel more flex and have different experience.
Personally I like it after putting in some big rides on it.

The hand position feel I actually quite like as well. Not completely flat but the oval feel works really well with my hands. The drops being flared is actually really nice and if they had a 34cm bar I would be keen to try that out.

Here it is on my 52cm Factor o2 with external routing.

Would like to replace the mount at some point with something a bit more clean, but for now this will work.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Hexsense wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:54 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 pm
IMG_7523.jpg
I hope you don't ride with steerer tube that short inside the stem clamp...
No.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com