Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pogacar

by pogacar

i placed the order on 2 weeks ago (05 June) through avians webpage; avians canary 380 x 110.

After speaking by email and telling me to order it and that they had BMC teammachine slr01 adapter they suddenly tell me (4 days after my order) it is not in stock, that once received it will take about 2-3 weeks to send and 1 month to reach me. They also said "tomorrow i will check again as there is a new batch incoming"

I've contacted several times, saying i want the reinforced version for more stiffness (don't mind extra 30-40gr) and asking about my order status... no answer.

So far, customer service is aweful... i will post if i have anything else to add

BenCousins

by BenCousins

impotentloki wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:08 am
Can anyone help to confirm that the bars will only come with 1 headset spacer and no other optional spacers?
Based on my experience, they come with one spacer that doesn't fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenCousins

by BenCousins

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:58 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:55 pm
bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:56 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:27 pm

To be clear: I bought the falcon 2 because they were supposedly less flexy but they are very flexy.

It's important also to note that in reviewing flex you need to make relative statements. Lots of people here state 'it's not that flexy and I'm not a sprinter anyway', but that's not the point: flex should be compared to similar products. These bars are way flexier than equivalent integrated bars from established western brands. That's not arguable.
I just don't see this flex you're talking about. Maybe your Supersix headset exacerbates the issue? Give me a test I can do and I'll try to video the difference between my Canaries, Vision Metron 5d and Giant Contact SLR integrated bars.
This is why you need to compare to other bars on the same bike to eliminate issues like the Supersix headset.
Well, only the Avians will fit on this bike so that's not going to happen. Anyway, here's a hastily thrown together video of me trying to bend the bars on 3 of my bikes. I guess I could've fixed the bikes in a trainer to stop the frame moving around, but you get the idea. Do these look particularly flexy?

I can't see how you are applying pressure on the bars. When I sprint I alternate so I'm pulling up on the left while pushing down on the right and vice-versa. It looked like you are just pushing down on them?

alanyu

by alanyu

bobones wrote:
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:55 pm
bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:56 pm
BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:27 pm

To be clear: I bought the falcon 2 because they were supposedly less flexy but they are very flexy.

It's important also to note that in reviewing flex you need to make relative statements. Lots of people here state 'it's not that flexy and I'm not a sprinter anyway', but that's not the point: flex should be compared to similar products. These bars are way flexier than equivalent integrated bars from established western brands. That's not arguable.
I just don't see this flex you're talking about. Maybe your Supersix headset exacerbates the issue? Give me a test I can do and I'll try to video the difference between my Canaries, Vision Metron 5d and Giant Contact SLR integrated bars.
This is why you need to compare to other bars on the same bike to eliminate issues like the Supersix headset.
Well, only the Avians will fit on this bike so that's not going to happen. Anyway, here's a hastily thrown together video of me trying to bend the bars on 3 of my bikes. I guess I could've fixed the bikes in a trainer to stop the frame moving around, but you get the idea. Do these look particularly flexy?

Use your legs to fix the front wheel firmly to do this kind of test.

Volsung

by Volsung

my sprint power isn't great because of 5 knee surgeries (maybe 800w), but I'm 200 lbs and can bench a pretty good amount and my Falcons aren't noticeably flexy.

bobones

by bobones

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:35 pm
Tried that, but there's still too much movement of frame to really see what's happening on video. Locking the bike in a heavy trainer, like my Neo 2 would stop the frame moving around so much, but I don't have a thru axle adapter, and I can't be bothered either.

My conclusion, which you can take or leave, is that my Canary bar on the Venon flexes no more than the Vision Metron does on the De Rosa, even then, much of the flex may be in the frame/headtube/steerer as the TCR's bar is much harder to bend with its larger diameter OD2 steerer.

I suspect the noodly nature of the SS Evo 4 delta steerer, coupled with an incorrect/ill fitting spacer is playing a large part in Ben Cousin's complaints, and he's wrong to conclude that everyone on this thread who's happy with their Avian bars is either a shill or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

pogacar wrote:
I've contacted several times, saying i want the reinforced version for more stiffness (don't mind extra 30-40gr) and asking about my order status... no answer.
Any luck? I’ve been trying to get a hold of them as well. Received my falcon 2 bar. Looks good but the package was missing the adaptor spacer that I need to install on an sl8 frame. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenCousins

by BenCousins

bobones wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:39 am
alanyu wrote:
Tried that, but there's still too much movement of frame to really see what's happening on video. Locking the bike in a heavy trainer, like my Neo 2 would stop the frame moving around so much, but I don't have a thru axle adapter, and I can't be bothered either.

My conclusion, which you can take or leave, is that my Canary bar on the Venon flexes no more than the Vision Metron does on the De Rosa, even then, much of the flex may be in the frame/headtube/steerer as the TCR's bar is much harder to bend with its larger diameter OD2 steerer.

I suspect the noodly nature of the SS Evo 4 delta steerer, coupled with an incorrect/ill fitting spacer is playing a large part in Ben Cousin's complaints, and he's wrong to conclude that everyone on this thread who's happy with their Avian bars is either a shill or doesn't know what they're talking about.
Did you miss the part where my flex comparisons are compared to different (Enve) carbon bars on the same bike? Or that I fixed the spacer to fit perfectly with a craft knife?

People who are happy with their avian bars either aren't bothered about serious flex/bad customer service/incorrect parts being delivered, don't want to diverge from the groupthink, or are a shill.

dsveddy

by dsveddy

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:19 pm
People who are happy with their avian bars either aren't bothered about serious flex/bad customer service/incorrect parts being delivered, don't want to diverge from the groupthink, or are a shill.
It is possible to have recieved an okay product and simultaneously be bothered by seeing people get shitty service and products. I get the sense that there is a bit of roulette going on here. I had a similar experience with Magene's QED powermeter. I hope things start looking up for you, and I hope people can learn from your experience and realize that there is risk involved in buying these bars.

bedampft

by bedampft

After waiting for almost 3 months, I'll finally get my second Falcon II in 380/110mm next week. Will be interesting how it compares to the 1st one from a few months back.

Avian Customer Service really needs to be better though. While I had the issue with the very tight fit on the Propel and the shitty printed D spacer for the steerer gap, they didn't really offer anything, other than another shitty printed wedge. After I solved the proplem myself, with a Aluminium spacer from Deda, the only reply was: "Happy that the issue is resolved." Yeah, no thanks to you.

EXS is way better here.

warthog101

by warthog101

bobones wrote:

Thanks for going to the trouble of making the vid. Yeah they don't look too bad.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:28 pm
It's nearly 4 weeks since I contacted Avian about the incorrect spacers for the Supersix, two and a half weeks since they replied and I requested a replacement part (that they claim exists, I doubt it), but despite repeated emails asking for updates I have received exactly nothing in response.

I guess the talk of great customer service is the people with mysteriously low post counts,
It looks like Avians also got a lot more popular now.
More customers, while production probably hasn't increased, and customer support probably neither.
You can call us shills or whatever you want.
At the time that I ordered, they were super responsive, and included the right spacer for me.
Might have been luck, might have been ahead of the curve, who knows

If you paid with PayPal you could raise the issue with them, that your order is missing parts.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

ullmanz

by ullmanz

BenCousins wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:19 pm
bobones wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:39 am
alanyu wrote:

Did you miss the part where my flex comparisons are compared to different (Enve) carbon bars on the same bike? Or that I fixed the spacer to fit perfectly with a craft knife?

My Falcon bars are stiffer than the bar stem combo that I had before. I have not felt any flex in the bars and I have a sprint above 1100W.
No idea what your body composition is, but if you're a big guy, any bar will feel more flexy than for some light guy.
You want to prove your claim: measure deflection by hanging weights on them while having the bar locked in somewhere.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

toxin

by toxin

ullmanz wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:17 am
Typical woke cancel-culture attitude
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm on SS Evo 4 too.
And my Falcon II​ doesn't flex that much. Only slightly more in drop, not noticed on the top of my 36x110mm combo.
Yes it flex slightly more than Enve Ses Aero road bar+Tarmac SL7 stem. But that's 180g heavier combo, a 60% increase (450 vs 280 g).

My combo differ from BenCousins that I wanted lowest stack height possible so I did not use their transition spacers because it'd be 3mm taller than just use generic headset cap from Cannondale. SS Evo is already so tall that I have to down size from 51 to 48 for the headtube to be a bit lower, I'm not going to let my bar 3mm taller for sake of using transition spacer. If anything, my rant is here. Why the transition spacer is so tall? Cannondale have a generic headset cap and a thinner one which only design to pair with their own integrated bar. Avian dropped the ball by making transition spacer combo which pair with a thinner cannondale cap so tall that reverting back to generic (taller) headset cap result in a lower bar.
I guess I might have dodged the bullet of losing stiffness due to poor fitment this way as well.

That aside, I'm tempted to buy Canary in 34x120mm size. I found 36cm size Falcon II to still be a bit wide. Wider than my Prior Enve which has 35cm top. But I'm holding off a bit to see if they'll offer Falcon in 34cm x 120mm size as well. Or if anyone else will offer 32-34cm wide integrated bar with steeper stem angle than -10 degree.
Attachments
PXL_20240208_052642661.jpg