Chinese ultralight handlebar passed SGS quality certification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

It's important to state which bar we are talking about. Supposedly the Falcon version is stiffer than the Canary but reading the comments i can't understand which one we are talking about. Can anyone give any input about the two bars?

bobones

by bobones

theOrtherion wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:43 am
It's important to state which bar we are talking about. Supposedly the Falcon version is stiffer than the Canary but reading the comments i can't understand which one we are talking about. Can anyone give any input about the two bars?
There is plenty of feedback already which distinguishes between the two bars, so I suggest you read through the comments again.

But to summarise: some people are happy with the bars, some are not. Some think they are noodles (both models), others think they're absolutely fine. Some are happy with the quality of the construction and finishing, others think they're garbage. There is no consensus, so perhaps the quality control is lacking.

Me? I have 36/110 Canaries and and they don't feel in any way overly flexy. If I pull and push on the very ends of the bars there is a small amount of movement, but no more than I would expect and absolutely nothing alarming. Flex has never entered my head when riding with these bars, but I am not heavy and not a sprinter. I also have FSA Vision Metron 5D on another bike, which are supposed to be super stiff, and I don't really notice a difference. I got the FSA ACR spacer which fits perfectly and the bars look well finished to me. I wanted lightweight bars to replace the super heavy FSA SMR stem and these fit the bill at 247g. I would perhaps like a wider bar top for resting my palms, so the Falcons might have been a better option. I got them on AliX from the official Avian store and I would definitely buy them from here again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Whipit

by Whipit

Was checking something else in the headset

When reassembling got to about 3nm and this happened. These have always been tightened with a torque wrench, and never gone above 5nm

After initially being happy... I'll swap to something else. Luckily this was on the work stand
IMG_5039.jpeg

BenCousins

by BenCousins

theOrtherion wrote:
To be clear: I bought the falcon 2 because they were supposedly less flexy but they are very flexy.

It's important also to note that in reviewing flex you need to make relative statements. Lots of people here state 'it's not that flexy and I'm not a sprinter anyway', but that's not the point: flex should be compared to similar products. These bars are way flexier than equivalent integrated bars from established western brands. That's not arguable.

RDY

by RDY

I think there's some video of Joe (ChinaCycling) riding in profile on the Canary bars, and they're very obviously flexing a lot. He's very light and he wasn't giving it the beans. I've never seen another bar do that. I don't think it will effect sprints that much unless you're really big and poweful, but I'd call into question how safe it is in terms of long term durability.

bobones

by bobones

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:27 pm
theOrtherion wrote:
To be clear: I bought the falcon 2 because they were supposedly less flexy but they are very flexy.

It's important also to note that in reviewing flex you need to make relative statements. Lots of people here state 'it's not that flexy and I'm not a sprinter anyway', but that's not the point: flex should be compared to similar products. These bars are way flexier than equivalent integrated bars from established western brands. That's not arguable.
I just don't see this flex you're talking about. Maybe your Supersix headset exacerbates the issue? Give me a test I can do and I'll try to video the difference between my Canaries, Vision Metron 5d and Giant Contact SLR integrated bars.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Whipit wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:24 pm

When reassembling got to about 3nm and this happened. These have always been tightened with a torque wrench, and never gone above 5nm

After initially being happy... I'll swap to something else. Luckily this was on the work stand

IMG_5039.jpeg
Canary or falcon?

So apprantrly they've changed the manufacturing process a bit to solve some issues (diameter deviations and the bolt holes). I'll get an replacement.

impotentloki

by impotentloki

Man.. just bought the Falcon IIs and they're arriving sometime tomorrow, hopefully the flex doesn't bother me too much.. and also the bolt holes looking shabby in some of the recent posts.....

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

impotentloki wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:21 pm
Man.. just bought the Falcon IIs and they're arriving sometime tomorrow, hopefully the flex doesn't bother me too much.. and also the bolt holes looking shabby in some of the recent posts.....
Please give your impressions when they arrive.Im thinking of buying the same handlebars for a "secondary" bike.

Whipit

by Whipit

Eterna7m wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:17 pm
Whipit wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:24 pm

IMG_5039.jpeg
Canary or falcon?

So apprantrly they've changed the manufacturing process a bit to solve some issues (diameter deviations and the bolt holes). I'll get an replacement.
Canary

These were shipping in April and were apparently the improved carbon? When did you get the above information?

BenCousins

by BenCousins

bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:56 pm
BenCousins wrote:
theOrtherion wrote:

I just don't see this flex you're talking about. Maybe your Supersix headset exacerbates the issue? Give me a test I can do and I'll try to video the difference between my Canaries, Vision Metron 5d and Giant Contact SLR integrated bars.
This is why you need to compare to other bars on the same bike to eliminate issues like the Supersix headset.

bobones

by bobones

BenCousins wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:55 pm
bobones wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:56 pm
BenCousins wrote:
theOrtherion wrote:

This is why you need to compare to other bars on the same bike to eliminate issues like the Supersix headset.
Well, only the Avians will fit on this bike so that's not going to happen. Anyway, here's a hastily thrown together video of me trying to bend the bars on 3 of my bikes. I guess I could've fixed the bikes in a trainer to stop the frame moving around, but you get the idea. Do these look particularly flexy?

impotentloki

by impotentloki

Can anyone help to confirm that the bars will only come with 1 headset spacer and no other optional spacers?

bobones

by bobones

impotentloki wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:08 am
Can anyone help to confirm that the bars will only come with 1 headset spacer and no other optional spacers?
Mine came with a single 3d printed spacer, which sits immediately beneath the bar and transitions to the bike's own spacers or bearing top cover. In my case, the spacer is for the FSA ACR system, but you're meant to specify what your bike needs when ordering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

impotentloki

by impotentloki

Thanks.. Single 3d printed spacer that is meant to sit beneath the bar for mine as well. I'm on a SL7 so i'll use the stock bearing top cover and spacers that I have, seems to flush quite nicely when compressed.

120mm * 380mm Falcon IIs, weighing in at about 260-270g (don't have an electronic scale so not the most accurate..)

Finishing looks decent, yanking the bar feels pretty okay as well. Will have to get it installed and put some proper force to it to be sure.