Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I originally ordered the Blackinc FORTY FIVE wheels, but just got the Blackinc TWENTY wheels for another build and I'm trying them on the Ostro.

I'm running them with Ridenow TWU tubes at 80/85psi (might be a bit high; ride is a bit harsh), I'm really liking how stiff and responsive the TWENTYs are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AXA

by AXA

inertianinja wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:37 pm
I originally ordered the Blackinc FORTY FIVE wheels, but just got the Blackinc TWENTY wheels for another build and I'm trying them on the Ostro.

I'm running them with Ridenow TWU tubes at 80/85psi (might be a bit high; ride is a bit harsh), I'm really liking how stiff and responsive the TWENTYs are.
Could you please post a picture of the bike?
I would like to buy a low profile wheelset to cut some weight but I'm not sure about the aesthetic on a frame like the Ostro VAM.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

AXA wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:54 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:37 pm

Could you please post a picture of the bike?
I would like to buy a low profile wheelset to cut some weight but I'm not sure about the aesthetic on a frame like the Ostro VAM.
I just took them off the bike, but I'll plan to do this when my new brake rotors and cassette arrive.

Generally they looked great, in that they have the same marble-ish carbon finish that you'd see on the unpainted Ostro.
The wheel profile though is totally round (a dome) so i guess someone could say it doesn't exactly "match" some of the sharp bends on the Ostro.

kode54

by kode54

I suspect that he’s referring to the profile vs. the deeper dished ones 25mm vs. 55mm depth).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Deleted

inertianinja

by inertianinja

kode54 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:33 am
I suspect that he’s referring to the profile vs. the deeper dished ones 25mm vs. 55mm depth).
I think we're talking about the same thing. The FORTY FIVE have a more peaked aero profile, whereas the TWENTY have a very round profile.

ArtV

by ArtV

I seem to recall reading the the Ostro VAM was designed around 45mm wheels. So I had some 45mm 1250 gram wheels built by Light Bicycle and sold the Blackinc ones. They were nice enough wheels but because I weigh less than 125 pounds I was able to get the 'flyweight' option which really saved weight.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Here's a pic of my Time with the TWENTY wheels:

Here's a current pic of my Ostro, with the FORTY FIVEs:

Biggest differences other than the height is that (1) TWENTYs have a marble finish that the FORTY FIVEs do not and (2) TWENTYs have a totally round profile.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

inertianinja wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:58 pm

Biggest differences other than the height is that (1) TWENTYs have a marble finish that the FORTY FIVEs do not and (2) TWENTYs have a totally round profile.
Can't see any pics, but which bike ride the best?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Looks sweet! We need more picture of chrome ostro VAM's!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

inertianinja wrote:

I'm surprised that you didn't go with even deeper wheels for the Factor- but both bikes look great! I especially love the Time!

AXA

by AXA

inertianinja wrote:

Thanks for the photos but I wanted to see the Twenty on a Ostro VAM :mrgreen:
I've seen some pics on Froome instagram account and the low profile rim don't look as bad as I tought. :thumbup:

tmanley

by tmanley

Here’s my 61cm with a set of Enve 6.7’s for those looking for a pic with deeper wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Wow sorry but are you 2.10m with long legs ??
Crazy seat height and handlebar drop

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

My 61cm will be coming in about 3 weeks, got an insane saddle height (90cm from center bb to top of saddle) and low front. So my drop is also insane.

I'm 1.96cm with 98cm legs. With 61cm's it happends quite a bit, I got same on my mountainbike lol

Looks good! Can't wait to receive mine! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com