Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Those seatstays look super thin to me; even too thin, I'd say.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Geraint

by Geraint

ericlambi wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 am
Nplus1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 pm
Geraint wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm
Love it, but £5400 for a frameset seems very steep, even if it does include integrated bar/stem and bb. Makes the SL7 look like a bargain
I like it a lot too and agree that the frameset price is steep. It seems this is one occasion where it's better value to buy a complete bike rather than sourcing the components separately (the Force AXS build is £2450 more than the frameset, which would buy you the wheels on their own and not much else).
You know, this is a good point, that really is a relatively small upcharge from frame to Force build. The Force build is even photographed with a ceramic speed ospw set. Could it possibly be spec'd with that? Can you buy a power meter spider separately for that crank?
Excellent point - nice contrast with some other brands where the complete bikes seem to cost £1000 more than the prices of the individual parts. Problem for me is, I don't want a SRAM setup and I have most of the parts I need for a Di2 build with nice wheels, so I'd just have to flip all the parts, and would that get me the frame any cheaper? I'm not sure it would, one of the problems with niche brand parts (Black Inc).

Re the OSPW, they'll throw this in for free if you pre-order and pay now. I put my name on the pre-order list and then got taken to a page with that offer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Besenwagen

by Besenwagen

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:23 pm
A hybridized mountain/road/gravel bike with tea cup plates hanging off the hubs is an "aero bike?" Lolz. Hilarious. Bike looks like crap, and a maintenance nightmare with all the buried cables.
I really wonder what kind of maintenance you all have to do the whole day... It's electric and disc only, once the cables and lines are installed, the bike doesn't need to be maintained at all. Just a bit of service and lube - that's all...

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Geraint wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:06 pm
Re the OSPW, they'll throw this in for free if you pre-order and pay now. I put my name on the pre-order list and then got taken to a page with that offer.
Good catch. That page also has the full build kit details. The Red version comes w/ a PM, but the price increased from $10,099 on the main page for the bike to $10,899. The Force build and frameset prices are the same. Also they give a listing of 7.12kg for the Red build.

kode54

by kode54

I'm in the same boat. There's no option to buy a Di2 set up...which would make it easy if it was Ultegra...to just swap out to my Dura Ace bits. Wheels would be an easy sell if its a take of...especially the AR series.

But if only AXS is offered, I would have to wire it up for Di2 and have to remove BB to but in junction B, foam insulation for hydro cable and etube wires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Geraint

by Geraint

You can also request prices for custom builds, not all of the options match what is available (eg colours are for the other bikes in their range) but you can just enter any requests in an 'additional info' field. They got back to me within minutes on my request for a quote on an Ultegra Di2 build with the 45 wheels and a Rotor InPower DM crankset - £8450 - which is better value to me than the SRAM builds.

Dammit I'm tempted... :oops:

kode54

by kode54

interesting. with a Di2 build...i can swap out the Ultegra with DA. 45 wheels? PM? nice.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Geraint

by Geraint

Yep, the catch with buying the SRAM build if you really want Shimano is all the different standards - XDR hubshells, Dub BB etc - it'd be a PITA to convert.

If you want DA then you can request a price for that, interested to know what they quote you if you'd be prepared to share :)

azaggie

by azaggie

Man Ostro with DA, pushing under 7kg is nice. Could get it to 6.8 with some light wheels. Just wish we could get confirmation on frame being 780g or 875g... That fork is porky too.

sigma

by sigma

azaggie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:53 pm
Man Ostro with DA, pushing under 7kg is nice. Could get it to 6.8 with some light wheels. Just wish we could get confirmation on frame being 780g or 875g... That fork is porky too.
Was there some question on the paint etc...following the announcement of 785g? That's what was sent in the email for a painted 54cm but I actually emailed Rob this morning to check the weights on the different color schemes...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

azaggie

by azaggie

Yes check out the cyclingtips article. He weighed it at 875 and 420. Several people mentioned the disparity but he confirmed his numbers. Black frame so should be lightest of the paint schemes.

Nplus1

by Nplus1

azaggie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:29 pm
Yes check out the cyclingtips article. He weighed it at 875 and 420. Several people mentioned the disparity but he confirmed his numbers. Black frame so should be lightest of the paint schemes.
No idea how much difference it would make, but it is mentioned in the CyclingTips article that the frame they weighed "had two practise (sic) coats of paint on it while they figured out the final graphic design".

kode54

by kode54

Geraint wrote:Yep, the catch with buying the SRAM build if you really want Shimano is all the different standards - XDR hubshells, Dub BB etc - it'd be a PITA to convert.

If you want DA then you can request a price for that, interested to know what they quote you if you'd be prepared to share :)
Got a number for rolling chassis. No Shimano build offered at this time. That’s what I’m told. $7299 with the newer 45C-D wheelset.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

What I am told that the Shimano direct mount hanger will work with all thru axle disc frames. So I ordered a few for my O2 VAM and incoming LS.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ericlambi

by ericlambi

kode54 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 pm
Got a number for rolling chassis. No Shimano build offered at this time. That’s what I’m told. $7299 with the newer 45C-D wheelset.
Seems like the Force build would be a lot better than that, though I think it comes with shallower wheels.

Regarding no Shimano option ... I suppose if they know/believe Di2 12sp is going to be announced in December they can't offer a Dura Ace build because they will not have shipped bikes yet. They'd have a bunch of people trying to switch, it'd be a hassle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com