Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Electronic groupset only?

Love the bike. But come on.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Sock3t wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:44 pm

this is the future.. they are far from the only ones.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:47 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:44 pm

this is the future.. they are far from the only ones.
I know. Just really like the feel of mechanical. I have a 9150 bike but mechanical is so nice.

Nplus1

by Nplus1

robeambro wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 pm
USD MSRP for the full bike seems rather too low. Is it excluded VAT?
Yes, it appears the USD price excludes VAT. If you convert to GBP and add 20% you basically get the UK prices quoted by CyclingTips.

Nplus1

by Nplus1

Geraint wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm
Love it, but £5400 for a frameset seems very steep, even if it does include integrated bar/stem and bb. Makes the SL7 look like a bargain
I like it a lot too and agree that the frameset price is steep. It seems this is one occasion where it's better value to buy a complete bike rather than sourcing the components separately (the Force AXS build is £2450 more than the frameset, which would buy you the wheels on their own and not much else).

velov

by velov

Meh...it's a Reacto with a different paint-job. Factor's QC in the past has not been anything to write home about either...

ericlambi

by ericlambi

Nplus1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 pm
Geraint wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:46 pm
Love it, but £5400 for a frameset seems very steep, even if it does include integrated bar/stem and bb. Makes the SL7 look like a bargain
I like it a lot too and agree that the frameset price is steep. It seems this is one occasion where it's better value to buy a complete bike rather than sourcing the components separately (the Force AXS build is £2450 more than the frameset, which would buy you the wheels on their own and not much else).
You know, this is a good point, that really is a relatively small upcharge from frame to Force build. The Force build is even photographed with a ceramic speed ospw set. Could it possibly be spec'd with that? Can you buy a power meter spider separately for that crank?

ichobi

by ichobi

You can get a pm upgrade option for around 500USD. I'm not sure which one they will spec you with though.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

[Removed by moderator - not contributing to the discussion]

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:38 am
spdntrxi wrote:
this is the future . . .
For motor vehicles yes, where software maximizes power and fuel, but for a bicycle it's a silly complication. Again, unnecessary as discs and road tubeless.
I have a 7spd friction shifter bike.. I like it. I also have the trifecta of your hate :electronic/disc/tubeless and it's far from silly. :noidea: time to move on.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Shiverton

by Shiverton

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 am
MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:38 am
spdntrxi wrote:
this is the future . . .
For motor vehicles yes, where software maximizes power and fuel, but for a bicycle it's a silly complication. Again, unnecessary as discs and road tubeless.
I have a 7spd friction shifter bike.. I like it. I also have the trifecta of your hate :electronic/disc/tubeless and it's far from silly. :noidea: time to move on.
Some people will hang onto their traditional stuff tooth and nail and will argue until the very last that their opinion is fact and superior to everyone else's. Can't just like what they like and be happy with it, nah!
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people in the bike community who'd like to make their niche beliefs universal dogma.

Scott2017

by Scott2017

Not a black bike fan but the Flicker version is stunning, somehow it looks better than the gloss carbon finishes from Trek or Specialized. Wish they offered it with the same highlight coloring as on the new O2 though.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Wow the handling geometry on this is super nimble and aggressive. It's essentially a crit geometry with its low trail and short wheelbase. I like the steep STA as well.

I imagine it'd steer somewhere between an SL7 and Sprint. Probably akin to an R5.

Btw I find it funny that Factor doesn't reveal trail with the O2 VAM, but here with the Ostro they do.

I want to say good on Factor for literally making the bike look like a peach, but I don't think that paint matches well with such a rigid, masculine looking frame.

Looks like Factor's another one going bold on full integration by doing electric / hydro only frames. Cables can't get around the bends to reap those 10~15w aero cockpit savings.

That Peach Tho.

Stueys

by Stueys

Thought we had moved past the electronic v mechanical debate sometime around 2013....

Bike looks nice, another lightweight aero bike to add into the mix. Though a bit stunned that Factor have released an aero bike without putting it into a wind tunnel yet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Unniti

by Unniti

Complete integration means that only electronic shifting and hydraulic braking makes sense. So there's no point in even making it compatible with other systems. You don't want to be changing those cables yourself or paying out the ass for a mechanic to do it. And both the shifting and braking performance would be compromised over "traditional" internal cabling.
Stueys wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 am
Though a bit stunned that Factor have released an aero bike without putting it into a wind tunnel yet
This jumped at me too. Curious to see the numbers when Tour manages to get a hold of one.