Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erwin

by Erwin

kode54 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:55 pm

Thx Erwin for posting these pics. Funny that your bars look no narrower than 380mm, let alone you said you got the 360mm version...and at the hoods, 340mm.
Regardless, these look pretty good.
I have made some pictures. They say more than 1000 words. ;)
At the top of the hoods it is even smaller at 33,5cm.

Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 am
^^that's concerning from a firm that supposedly boasts tighter QC because they own their own factory. hmm.
Bla, bla. Nearly every bike manufacturer have or have had this problems. My 4 Factors don't have this problem. The seatpost from my Madone 9 RSL fits the worst. For an Aero seatpost you have to look after a straight saddle while torque the seatpost screws. So much gap, but it holds. My Ostros seatpost fits perfectly. I have torqued it to 5,6nm, no problems here.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am
+1
Don't spam around here. Nobody cares about your opinion here.
fidracer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:34 am
My front derailleur is also at the -19 limit. I have a stock build with Dura Ace. It just barely works fine in this setting, so I haven't shimmed the crank, but it's weird. I wonder if it's a Shimano thing or a Factor thing.

Very nice build! I wish mine was that lightweight.
Interesting! Perhaps Factor has indeed messed something up with the front derailleur mount? :roll: With full Shimano setup you should never get into the edges of adjustment. Do you have any spacers or only the 30 to 24mm Wheelsmfg adapters in?

Thank you, I am happy with it. Only 200g heavier than my 1st gen O2 with shallower rims and MCFK parts.
wallace wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:48 am
What is your rim depth and what valve stem did you use? I will have the black inc sixty, which is 56mm depth, and I feel like a 80mm valve stem is too long to my liking. Any suggestions?
57,5mm rim depth and 80mm valves. Searched for 70mm, but didn't find any. I am also no fan of too long valve stems.
Cyclistrobin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am
Fulcrum has a 70mm road tubeless valve. It's what I am going to probably try for my upcoming Enve 4.5.

@Erwin: Very beautiful build, congrats! I am about to get my Ostro from bike-components too. What bar width are you running and what are those disc brake rotors? What is your saddle height?
Thank for the hint, I was already looking for 70mm valves.

Thanks again, barstem is 360/110mm and rotors are Galfer waves in 160/140mm. Saddle height is 75,5cm, Ostro size 54 and my height is 1,83m.
Why are you pissing on me?
Do you say i spam, explain!
Get it out right away i want to know WTF you mean!?

It's not good QC if a seatpost fits badly can't you just face that - then you have a problem not getting that those getting these frames aren't happy about it.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kode54

by kode54

Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:50 pm
kode54 wrote:

Thx Erwin for posting these pics. Funny that your bars look no narrower than 380mm, let alone you said you got the 360mm version...and at the hoods, 340mm.

Image Image
Hmmm...thx again. I suppose its because the newer 12-speed Shimano hoods curve inward more than the 11-speed variant. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I plan to get a 36cm 110mm bar based on what you posted. The Enve SES aero bar was about 36cm at the base of the hoods...so i'm going to go for it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

kode54 wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:50 pm
kode54 wrote:

Image Image
Hmmm...thx again. I suppose its because the newer 12-speed Shimano hoods curve inward more than the 11-speed variant. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I plan to get a 36cm 110mm bar based on what you posted. The Enve SES aero bar was about 36cm at the base of the hoods...so i'm going to go for it.
Prime Primavera Aero is mint. Cheaper and 36 c to c as well. Highly underrated piece of carbon. Mine comes at 220g in 36 FYI
simply blabla-ing

Erwin

by Erwin

wheelsONfire wrote: Why are you pissing on me?
Do you say i spam, explain!
Get it out right away i want to know WTF you mean!?

It's not good QC if a seatpost fits badly can't you just face that - then you have a problem not getting that those getting these frames aren't happy about it.
Nothing against you. I only find these +1, +2 in a thread quite annoying. Makes the thread unnecessary long and does not help if someone is looking for infos about the Ostro.

For sure it is a problem with QC if a seatpost und frame does not fit together. But as I already said I have seen that with every big manufacturer, especially with aero seatposts. But it was even more annoying with pressfit BBs. With seatposts it is relative easy to accommodate the problem. A little bit of sanding or clear coating is not that hard. But certainly it should not be the case in these price categories!
kode54 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 pm
No problem. Go for it! :beerchug:
KarlGLS wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:24 pm
Prime Primavera Aero is mint. Cheaper and 36 c to c as well. Highly underrated piece of carbon. Mine comes at 220g in 36 FYI
Yes, but it is only a bar and with no flare. The prices for the Black Inc bars are ridicolous high, I admit.

wallace

by wallace

Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 am
^^that's concerning from a firm that supposedly boasts tighter QC because they own their own factory. hmm.
Bla, bla. Nearly every bike manufacturer have or have had this problems. My 4 Factors don't have this problem. The seatpost from my Madone 9 RSL fits the worst. For an Aero seatpost you have to look after a straight saddle while torque the seatpost screws. So much gap, but it holds. My Ostros seatpost fits perfectly. I have torqued it to 5,6nm, no problems here.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am
+1
Don't spam around here. Nobody cares about your opinion here.
fidracer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:34 am
My front derailleur is also at the -19 limit. I have a stock build with Dura Ace. It just barely works fine in this setting, so I haven't shimmed the crank, but it's weird. I wonder if it's a Shimano thing or a Factor thing.

Very nice build! I wish mine was that lightweight.
Interesting! Perhaps Factor has indeed messed something up with the front derailleur mount? :roll: With full Shimano setup you should never get into the edges of adjustment. Do you have any spacers or only the 30 to 24mm Wheelsmfg adapters in?

Thank you, I am happy with it. Only 200g heavier than my 1st gen O2 with shallower rims and MCFK parts.
wallace wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:48 am
What is your rim depth and what valve stem did you use? I will have the black inc sixty, which is 56mm depth, and I feel like a 80mm valve stem is too long to my liking. Any suggestions?
57,5mm rim depth and 80mm valves. Searched for 70mm, but didn't find any. I am also no fan of too long valve stems.
Cyclistrobin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am
Fulcrum has a 70mm road tubeless valve. It's what I am going to probably try for my upcoming Enve 4.5.

@Erwin: Very beautiful build, congrats! I am about to get my Ostro from bike-components too. What bar width are you running and what are those disc brake rotors? What is your saddle height?
Thank for the hint, I was already looking for 70mm valves.

Thanks again, barstem is 360/110mm and rotors are Galfer waves in 160/140mm. Saddle height is 75,5cm, Ostro size 54 and my height is 1,83m.
I see. What valves are those on your Ostro? I have a pair from light bicycle on my LB R55, which are 70mm.
I see that you have red arms. How do you like it? I am considering rotor aldhu carbon when my Ostro arrives. Also looked into red crankarms.

@Cyclistrobin. Thanks for your suggestion. I wanted to get another one from LB, but the shipping costs more than a pair of valves themselves....which is hard to swallow hahah.

Just another size reference. I am 175cm with a saddle height of 779mm. Ordered a size 54 Ostro, 170mm crank, 90/380 bar combo, and a 25mm offset post. Hope it will fit well.

pipii

by pipii

When switching to a 12 speed di2, I also had problems with the thickness of the spacers, making me suspect at one point that it was my front derailleur. The final drive side measures 5mm, the non-drive measures 3.5mm, and let the preload adjustment do its thing.
Attachments
微信图片_20230320113649.jpg
微信图片_20230320113646.jpg
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

wallace

by wallace

pipii wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:37 am
When switching to a 12 speed di2, I also had problems with the thickness of the spacers, making me suspect at one point that it was my front derailleur. The final drive side measures 5mm, the non-drive measures 3.5mm, and let the preload adjustment do its thing.
I have heard that shimano front derailleur would max out on the ostro. Did you have that problem as well?

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

wallace wrote:
pipii wrote:
I have heard that shimano front derailleur would max out on the ostro. Did you have that problem as well?
Interested to hear about that too
simply blabla-ing

pipii

by pipii

wallace wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:57 am
pipii wrote:
I did encounter this problem at the beginning, and needed to reconsider the balance on both sides and the position of the chainring
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Is that possible to maintain the 43.5 Shimano chain line ?
simply blabla-ing

inertianinja

by inertianinja

can anyone recommend a handlebar with a 70mm reach?

the Ostro has a shorter reach than my last bike, but the effective TT is longer, so i'm about 6mm longer than usual. My fitter recommended a shorter stem, but I wouldn't mind a shorter reach handlebar to get the same result.

I'm looking at this right now: https://exs-cycling.com/products/aerove ... -handlebar

Lina

by Lina

inertianinja wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm

the Ostro has a shorter reach than my last bike, but the effective TT is longer, so i'm about 6mm longer than usual. My fitter recommended a shorter stem, but I wouldn't mind a shorter reach handlebar to get the same result.

I'm looking at this right now: https://exs-cycling.com/products/aerove ... -handlebar
Reach is what matters for fitting. Your fit on a new bike should start by having your saddle in the same position in comparison to the BB. And once your saddle is in the same position then only reach and stack matter for fitting because you're in the same position over the BB as in your old bike. If your fitter doesn't start with this I'd strongly recommend finding a new fitter. Given your old bike had a position that was good for you and you're trying to transfer that to the new bike.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Lina wrote:
inertianinja wrote:

Reach is what matters for fitting. Your fit on a new bike should start by having your saddle in the same position in comparison to the BB. And once your saddle is in the same position then only reach and stack matter for fitting because you're in the same position over the BB as in your old bike. If your fitter doesn't start with this I'd strongly recommend finding a new fitter. Given your old bike had a position that was good for you and you're trying to transfer that to the new bike.
Can’t agree more

(Assuming same saddle)

Get the seat in the same place and adjust accordingly

Ostro has a 74° seat angle, hope your saddle’s rails would fit your setback

Once your setback is the same, get the distance from tip of the saddle to back of the hoods
simply blabla-ing

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Lina wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:05 pm
inertianinja wrote:

Yes, i know.

When moving to this bike, I took into account everything else, except I didn't notice that the handlebars were 10mm longer reach than my prior. I had a Retul fit last year, this is what led me to look for the 70mm reach now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com