Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:03 am
^^that's concerning from a firm that supposedly boasts tighter QC because they own their own factory. hmm.
+1
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fidracer

by fidracer

Erwin wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:39 pm
EDIT: I forgot to mentioned, that I have needed 5,5mm spacers (0,5mm more than CS recommends) at the drive side and 3mm at the NDS. I also mounted the CS preloader, I just like quality on the bike. It is 6g heavier than the original and more threads too. With only 4,5mm spacers (should be 44,5mm chain line like Shimano) I had to set the FD-R9250 at -19 and so no more steps left. I love the new DA DI2, but found the setting method a little fiddly. But now I don't use the app anymore for finetuning. Press button on RD till it turns yellow and make your micro steps, one more button press and finished.
My front derailleur is also at the -19 limit. I have a stock build with Dura Ace. It just barely works fine in this setting, so I haven't shimmed the crank, but it's weird. I wonder if it's a Shimano thing or a Factor thing.

Very nice build! I wish mine was that lightweight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wallace

by wallace

Erwin wrote:
Sorry for my late response. I had to finish the bike. Weather forecasts for the weekend were too good and so already have took my first two rides with the Ostro. Lovely bike in every aspect (even no toe overlap like my O2s). The new handlebar is quite heavy, but really stiff and the bike is also plenty stiff, however comfortable (25mm front / 28mm rear). Most questions are already answered, regarding my STIs: I have not turned them that much in, I followed the shape of the bar. I have uploaded a few pictures.
Weight is 6930g as shown in the pictures (w/o Garmin and light, only with mounts), but no milk in the tires yet. So will be exactly 7,0kg.

Image Image Image Image

EDIT: I forgot to mentioned, that I have needed 5,5mm spacers (0,5mm more than CS recommends) at the drive side and 3mm at the NDS. I also mounted the CS preloader, I just like quality on the bike. It is 6g heavier than the original and more threads too. With only 4,5mm spacers (should be 44,5mm chain line like Shimano) I had to set the FD-R9250 at -19 and so no more steps left. I love the new DA DI2, but found the setting method a little fiddly. But now I don't use the app anymore for finetuning. Press button on RD till it turns yellow and make your micro steps, one more button press and finished.

Image Image Image
What is your rim depth and what valve stem did you use? I will have the black inc sixty, which is 56mm depth, and I feel like a 80mm valve stem is too long to my liking. Any suggestions?

Cyclistrobin

by Cyclistrobin

wallace wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:48 am
Erwin wrote:
Sorry for my late response. I had to finish the bike. Weather forecasts for the weekend were too good and so already have took my first two rides with the Ostro. Lovely bike in every aspect (even no toe overlap like my O2s). The new handlebar is quite heavy, but really stiff and the bike is also plenty stiff, however comfortable (25mm front / 28mm rear). Most questions are already answered, regarding my STIs: I have not turned them that much in, I followed the shape of the bar. I have uploaded a few pictures.
Weight is 6930g as shown in the pictures (w/o Garmin and light, only with mounts), but no milk in the tires yet. So will be exactly 7,0kg.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
What is your rim depth and what valve stem did you use? I will have the black inc sixty, which is 56mm depth, and I feel like a 80mm valve stem is too long to my liking. Any suggestions?
Fulcrum has a 70mm road tubeless valve. It's what I am going to probably try for my upcoming Enve 4.5.

@Erwin: Very beautiful build, congrats! I am about to get my Ostro from bike-components too. What bar width are you running and what are those disc brake rotors? What is your saddle height?

Erwin

by Erwin

FactoryMatt wrote:
^^that's concerning from a firm that supposedly boasts tighter QC because they own their own factory. hmm.
Bla, bla. Nearly every bike manufacturer have or have had this problems. My 4 Factors don't have this problem. The seatpost from my Madone 9 RSL fits the worst. For an Aero seatpost you have to look after a straight saddle while torque the seatpost screws. So much gap, but it holds. My Ostros seatpost fits perfectly. I have torqued it to 5,6nm, no problems here.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am
+1
Don't spam around here. Nobody cares about your opinion here.
fidracer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:34 am
My front derailleur is also at the -19 limit. I have a stock build with Dura Ace. It just barely works fine in this setting, so I haven't shimmed the crank, but it's weird. I wonder if it's a Shimano thing or a Factor thing.

Interesting! Perhaps Factor has indeed messed something up with the front derailleur mount? :roll: With full Shimano setup you should never get into the edges of adjustment. Do you have any spacers or only the 30 to 24mm Wheelsmfg adapters in?

Thank you, I am happy with it. Only 200g heavier than my 1st gen O2 with shallower rims and MCFK parts.
wallace wrote:
57,5mm rim depth and 80mm valves. Searched for 70mm, but didn't find any. I am also no fan of too long valve stems.
Cyclistrobin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am
Fulcrum has a 70mm road tubeless valve. It's what I am going to probably try for my upcoming Enve 4.5.

@Erwin: Very beautiful build, congrats! I am about to get my Ostro from bike-components too. What bar width are you running and what are those disc brake rotors? What is your saddle height?
Thank for the hint, I was already looking for 70mm valves.

Thanks again, barstem is 360/110mm and rotors are Galfer waves in 160/140mm. Saddle height is 75,5cm, Ostro size 54 and my height is 1,83m.

Wenne

by Wenne

FactoryMatt wrote:
Factor and all other manufacturers do not have their own factory, they all have the frames made in China and Taiwan !!!
3500DF77-DE67-402E-B1C3-937D6F5D9F0D.jpeg

Erwin

by Erwin

That's wrong, they have thier own factory. Took me 10s to google and the article was mentioned quite a few times:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/not- ... iwanese-hq

‘Our frames are made in our factory in Xiamen, China, 259km from here. In Taiwan we do the research and design, testing, sanding, paint and assembly, but Xiamen is where our factory makes our raw product.’
Last edited by Erwin on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ichobi

by ichobi

Factor have their own factories, and their hq is in taiwan…

kode54

by kode54

Its possible that Factor makes frames and parts for others...but they have their own factory. That said, all manufacturers have their issues but Factor deals with theirs efficiently as I have had a crash replacement and other queries with them. All dealt with expeditously.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

Erwin wrote:

Thx Erwin for posting these pics. Funny that your bars look no narrower than 380mm, let alone you said you got the 360mm version...and at the hoods, 340mm.
Regardless, these look pretty good.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Wenne

by Wenne

Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:19 pm
That's wrong, they have thier own factory. Took me 10s to google and the article was mentioned quite a few times:
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/not- ... iwanese-hq

‘Our frames are made in our factory in Xiamen, China, 259km from here. In Taiwan we do the research and design, testing, sanding, paint and assembly, but Xiamen is where our factory makes our raw product.’
factory in Xiamen, China 😆😆😆

Cyclistrobin

by Cyclistrobin

Erwin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:06 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Bla, bla. Nearly every bike manufacturer have or have had this problems. My 4 Factors don't have this problem. The seatpost from my Madone 9 RSL fits the worst. For an Aero seatpost you have to look after a straight saddle while torque the seatpost screws. So much gap, but it holds. My Ostros seatpost fits perfectly. I have torqued it to 5,6nm, no problems here.
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am
+1
Don't spam around here. Nobody cares about your opinion here.
fidracer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:34 am

Interesting! Perhaps Factor has indeed messed something up with the front derailleur mount? :roll: With full Shimano setup you should never get into the edges of adjustment. Do you have any spacers or only the 30 to 24mm Wheelsmfg adapters in?

Thank you, I am happy with it. Only 200g heavier than my 1st gen O2 with shallower rims and MCFK parts.
wallace wrote:
57,5mm rim depth and 80mm valves. Searched for 70mm, but didn't find any. I am also no fan of too long valve stems.
Cyclistrobin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am

Thank for the hint, I was already looking for 70mm valves.

Thanks again, barstem is 360/110mm and rotors are Galfer waves in 160/140mm. Saddle height is 75,5cm, Ostro size 54 and my height is 1,83m.
You seem to be very close to me in terms of fit. I am planning to get the 54 cm frame with a 380/110mm bar. I am 1,80m and my saddle height is 76,5 (roughly). Comparing our measurements it seems like you must be sitting rather compact, e.g. big saddle to bar drop and shorter reach. I am a bit worried that the 54 cm would put me too low but the 56 cm frame just feels to big... How does your position feel to you - any niggles?

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

I am 1m78, 705 saddle height, will order a 52 :)
simply blabla-ing

dalex

by dalex

fruitfly wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:57 pm
So I would try cleaning your post, the inside of your seat tube (I wrapped a shop cloth soaked in isopropanol around a dowel), and the formerly jammed tube moved easily once the seatpost and seat tube were cleaned. I can't rule out that more important than the cleaning the seat post and tube was the fact that I removed the wedge bolt and reset the wedge in the seat tube.
Thanks for the tips. As you suggested, I cleaned the seatpost and seat tube. Then, as an extra help, instead of applying the carbon assembly compound I applied grease. After doing this, the seatpost slid into the frame perfectly easily. Could be that there is now too much grease to hold properly, so once I have dialled in my position maybe I will degrease the wedge side of the seatpost, and apply the carbon assembly compound just to the wedge.

Erwin

by Erwin

Cyclistrobin wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:37 pm

You seem to be very close to me in terms of fit. I am planning to get the 54 cm frame with a 380/110mm bar. I am 1,80m and my saddle height is 76,5 (roughly). Comparing our measurements it seems like you must be sitting rather compact, e.g. big saddle to bar drop and shorter reach. I am a bit worried that the 54 cm would put me too low but the 56 cm frame just feels to big... How does your position feel to you - any niggles?
Yes, you are right. I am sitting compact, always need a zero setback setpost and don't like it if the reach gets too long. Normally I ride size 54 frames with a 110mm stem, but a also have size 56 O2 with a -17° 100mm stem and a Madone 9 H1 size 58 (5mm fewer stack because of an adjusted steerer cap to fit a Madone SLR stem) with a 100mm stem. The O2 VAM and LS are size 54 with 110mm stems.
Sorry for hijacking the Ostro thread, but perhelps it will help you sizing your bike. Pictures are not always the best, but these I found very quickly.
Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Erwin on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com