Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TLN

by TLN

tmanley wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:52 pm

Here’s my 61cm with a set of Enve 6.7’s for those looking for a pic with deeper wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great.

When I was shopping for a bike, I remember that Factor came max at 58cm, I see they have 61cm option now.
Also, Is that Prisma studio, or you added blue/chrome? decals to frame yourself?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

See if I can remember all the questions…

Yes, I’m tall - 2.08m/6’9”.

Pretty flexible so the extreme drop from saddle to bars doesn’t bother me at all. That said, I am going in for a fit adjustment given I’m getting older and curious to see if there’s anything to optimize (my last fit was 10 years ago).

To hit my needs factor shipped the bike with the Gravel seatpost (which is longer) and got me a 140/40cm barstem combo (which they had made for one of their TdF builds - so I knew it was a possibility).

The frame finish is nude carbon as a custom option too. With a frame of this size it saved some weight.

Last edited by tmanley on Mon May 29, 2023 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

These days they do a 400mm seatpost, which is what I need for my 90cm saddle height. Why did you go for the gravel seatpost? Did you need even more then 400 or was it not available?

tmanley

by tmanley

MrRolandos wrote:These days they do a 400mm seatpost, which is what I need for my 90cm saddle height. Why did you go for the gravel seatpost? Did you need even more then 400 or was it not available?
The gravel seatpost was longer when I ordered the frame. Not sure if they’re now the same.

Chaunch

by Chaunch

Any thoughts of when Factor will update the Ostro? Its almost 3 years old and that seems to be the lifespan for other brands.

mathias720

by mathias720

Chaunch wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:54 pm
Any thoughts of when Factor will update the Ostro? Its almost 3 years old and that seems to be the lifespan for other brands.
sen some talk about the ostro beeing ridden at the giro was another version. seemed like deeper tubes, but some were talking about it being uci illegal. other was mentioning it wasent a new ostro, more like a "pro team" version

Maddie

by Maddie

mathias720 wrote:
Chaunch wrote:
sen some talk about the ostro beeing ridden at the giro was another version. seemed like deeper tubes, but some were talking about it being uci illegal. other was mentioning it wasent a new ostro, more like a "pro team" version
Interesting talk that you have seen. IPT used the same Ostro VAM during the Giro. They only different thing was the paintjob

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Chaunch wrote:
I have one suggestion for Factor, make more room between the seat tube and rear tire. The bike is spec'd for up to 32mm WAM. But this tire size does not leave sufficient clearance at the seat-tube - 2 to 3mm at best. It is not unreasonable to suggest that the Ostro with all its advances is obsolete because of this issue. Pogacar and UAE used 30mm GP5000 TR on 25mm internal rims at Flanders and other races. Apparently some team members continued using this combo in some non-cobble events presumably because they liked it. This rim/tire combo is certain to become more commonly used in both competition and in recreational cycling. It happens to be what I use on my Ostro. But here's the rub (literally), 30mm tires on 25mm internal rims net out at aprox 33mm WAM and the that leaves about 1.5mm clearance at the seat tube. So yeah, I'm calling the Ostro obsolete. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

Before Ostro i guess they will update the One.

Factor bikes seem to all have longer update interval compared to competing brands. A bit like Canyon. Aeroad was like 4-5 years old before they came out with the current one.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

But aside from my gripe about the clearance what should be changed? Stiffer? Lighter? That might not make the bike better and could be detrimental. There are a lot of bikes now that are bumping up against the limits of what you can build with current technology. For the Ostro maybe the head tube could be reconfigured for a bit more aero and easier hose routing.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Chaunch

by Chaunch

Mr.Gib...your bike turned out great. Is it a matte or gloss finish?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Standard gloss black with chrome.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Hey folks,
I'm bothered by an annoying issue and too stupid to handle it, so maybe you can help out: I ride the Ostro in 52 with an Ultegra Di2 12-speed / Dura Ace Stages powermeter crankset. The micro adjustment of the front derailleur is already maxed out to -19, but distance of the outer plate to the chain (big chainring, smallest cog) is still clearly more than 1 mm. What mistake on my part am I overlooking? Any ideas?

Bielas

by Bielas

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:12 pm
But aside from my gripe about the clearance what should be changed? Stiffer? Lighter? That might not make the bike better and could be detrimental. There are a lot of bikes now that are bumping up against the limits of what you can build with current technology. For the Ostro maybe the head tube could be reconfigured for a bit more aero and easier hose routing.
It seems the O2 will be updated first! I watched Daryl Impey's Youtube channel, you can see some guys riding a skinny bike with no logos, must be new O2,

is that an integrated seatpost??!! :?
Attachments
Factor Team Tour de France Camp part 2 - YouTube.png
:mrgreen:

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Bielas wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:49 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:12 pm
It seems the O2 will be updated first! I watched Daryl Impey's Youtube channel, you can see some guys riding a skinny bike with no logos, must be new O2,

is that an integrated seatpost??!! :?
Outrageously thin top tube at the seatpost junction.

Seatpost topper looks a bit fugly at first glance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com