Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:13 am
Bielas wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:49 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:12 pm
But aside from my gripe about the clearance what should be changed? Stiffer? Lighter? That might not make the bike better and could be detrimental. There are a lot of bikes now that are bumping up against the limits of what you can build with current technology. For the Ostro maybe the head tube could be reconfigured for a bit more aero and easier hose routing.
It seems the O2 will be updated first! I watched Daryl Impey's Youtube channel, you can see some guys riding a skinny bike with no logos, must be new O2,

is that an integrated seatpost??!! :?
Outrageously thin top tube at the seatpost junction.

Seatpost topper looks a bit fugly at first glance.
yea, that is crazy! Factors already have a notice not to sit on the top tube. That looks like it'd be dangerous to sneeze on, but I'd ride it :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fidracer

by fidracer

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:05 am
Hey folks,
I'm bothered by an annoying issue and too stupid to handle it, so maybe you can help out: I ride the Ostro in 52 with an Ultegra Di2 12-speed / Dura Ace Stages powermeter crankset. The micro adjustment of the front derailleur is already maxed out to -19, but distance of the outer plate to the chain (big chainring, smallest cog) is still clearly more than 1 mm. What mistake on my part am I overlooking? Any ideas?
I have the same issue. I've been living with it, but I've also dropped my chain more in the three months that I've had this bike than I did in the three years I was on Di2 11 speed. I keep meaning to call Factor about it. I think that a redesigned front derailleur mount is needed.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

fidracer wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:34 pm
Co0kieMonster wrote:
Hey folks,
I'm bothered by an annoying issue and too stupid to handle it, so maybe you can help out: I ride the Ostro in 52 with an Ultegra Di2 12-speed / Dura Ace Stages powermeter crankset. The micro adjustment of the front derailleur is already maxed out to -19, but distance of the outer plate to the chain (big chainring, smallest cog) is still clearly more than 1 mm. What mistake on my part am I overlooking? Any ideas?
I have the same issue. I've been living with it, but I've also dropped my chain more in the three months that I've had this bike than I did in the three years I was on Di2 11 speed. I keep meaning to call Factor about it. I think that a redesigned front derailleur mount is needed.
So if I understand this problem correctly, the FD cage is too far away from the frame even when adjusted inward to the max? If so, why not just add a thin spacer between the driveside crank arm and the bb? Nothing exotic in dealing with adjustment limits in this fashion. The small change will not adversely affect the chainline.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

fidracer

by fidracer

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:38 pm
So if I understand this problem correctly, the FD cage is too far away from the frame even when adjusted inward to the max? If so, why not just add a thin spacer between the driveside crank arm and the bb? Nothing exotic in dealing with adjustment limits in this fashion. The small change will not adversely affect the chainline.
Yes, that's an option, but it shifts the crank off center. The chain line would bug me less than the offset pedals.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:38 pm
fidracer wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:34 pm
Co0kieMonster wrote:
Hey folks,
Thanks for your answer. Rode to my lbs today and without hesitation he basically answered the same you did: he added a small spacer on the drive side and it solved the issue. He was just really surprised why there wasnt a spacer in the first place (I didnt build the bike up...).

pmprego

by pmprego

Question for people here at factor. They have a very very nice spec sheet handlebar: https://factorbikes.com/products/integr ... o-barstem/

In terms of specs, they mention 80mm for reach but the handlebar also has a 3º backsweep. Any idea where the reach is measured? Asking this because from photos, the reach seems less than 80mm. Is it measured from the curvature?
Attachments
Capture.JPG

seventyseven

by seventyseven

https://blackinc.cc/product/integrated-aero-barstem/ should have the info you're looking for.

joss

by joss

Would the Factor Ostro vam be an upgrade comming from an Scott Addict RC?
Really like that new handlebar with the TT extensions

robeambro

by robeambro

pmprego wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:15 pm
Question for people here at factor. They have a very very nice spec sheet handlebar: https://factorbikes.com/products/integr ... o-barstem/

In terms of specs, they mention 80mm for reach but the handlebar also has a 3º backsweep. Any idea where the reach is measured? Asking this because from photos, the reach seems less than 80mm. Is it measured from the curvature?
iirc I read on the Factor Owners Group on FB that stems tend to be longer than nominal to account for the backsweep. Another factor (no pun intended) that makes "eyeball measurements" challenging is that the clamp area for hoods is (again, iirc) 5mm back to account for longer hoods reach of newer 12s groupsets.

pmprego

by pmprego

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:42 am
pmprego wrote:

iirc I read on the Factor Owners Group on FB that stems tend to be longer than nominal to account for the backsweep. Another factor (no pun intended) that makes "eyeball measurements" challenging is that the clamp area for hoods is (again, iirc) 5mm back to account for longer hoods reach of newer 12s groupsets.
Thanks!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

pmprego wrote:

R1 is in the middle of drop handle, R2 is infront.
But i guess what you'd like is a helicopter view from the start point in the stem to the curvature (R1)?
If that is what you ask for, i would guess you would need to ask Factor or Black inc for a picture where it is marked.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:42 pm
pmprego wrote:

But i guess what you'd like is a helicopter view from the start point in the stem to the curvature (R1)?
If that is what you ask for, i would guess you would need to ask Factor or Black inc for a picture where it is marked.
I basically really like the specs of the handlebar maybe except the 80mm reach which I would have preferred 75mm but different preferences do exist and I accept that.

However, it seems that the handlebar was thought for the Factor D shaped fork given the stem does not have exit holes for the cables.

Cyclistrobin

by Cyclistrobin

New Bike Day!

The full build comes in at 7.35 kg including garmin mount, bottle cages, pedals and tubeless sealant. I am pretty happy with that and the bike rides like a rocket ship!

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/gdDDIFe
Specs:
- 54cm frame (chrome)
- Full Dura-Ace (including pedals and 11-34 cassette) with power2max NG-SL power meter and Rotor Aldhu 24mm cranks
- Enve SES 4.5 with DT Swiss 180 hubs hand built by r2-bike (Germany)
- Black Inc Aero Bar/Stem 400x110 mm
- Specialized Power Pro Saddle
- Darimo Seatpost L350mm (saddle height is about 76 to 76.5 cm)
- Continental GP 5000 S TR 28mm front and rear (I had some 30mm lying around and they fit the frame as well. I save them for later.)

Have only done one longer ride so far and I like everything of this build. I am having some issues with the Darimo seat post because it was slipping even though I installed everything according to the installation instructions (fiber grip and torquing to 6 NM). I am wondering if the torque values of Darimo are correct because on the Factor frame it says "max 8 NM". Anyone got some input on what torque to use with the Darimo seatpost?

I could save another 250g-350g by cahnging the brake rotors, crankset to Aldhu carbon, lighter saddle and 11-30 cassette but I'm fine with 7.35kg for the moment.

Cheers

MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

pmprego wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:13 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:42 pm
pmprego wrote:

I basically really like the specs of the handlebar maybe except the 80mm reach which I would have preferred 75mm but different preferences do exist and I accept that.

However, it seems that the handlebar was thought for the Factor D shaped fork given the stem does not have exit holes for the cables.
There is a port on the aero handlebars at the space of the stem.

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Cyclistrobin wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:22 pm
New Bike Day!

The full build comes in at 7.35 kg including garmin mount, bottle cages, pedals and tubeless sealant. I am pretty happy with that and the bike rides like a rocket ship!
Specs:
- 54cm frame (chrome)
- Full Dura-Ace (including pedals and 11-34 cassette) with power2max NG-SL power meter and Rotor Aldhu 24mm cranks
- Enve SES 4.5 with DT Swiss 180 hubs hand built by r2-bike (Germany)
- Black Inc Aero Bar/Stem 400x110 mm
- Specialized Power Pro Saddle
- Darimo Seatpost L350mm (saddle height is about 76 to 76.5 cm)
- Continental GP 5000 S TR 28mm front and rear (I had some 30mm lying around and they fit the frame as well. I save them for later.)
She's a beauty. Nice build. My seatpost slipped on my first ride because it was not torqued to 8nm; no problems since tightening to 8nm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com